FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sweet Tooth...

Author Topic: Sweet Tooth...
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Question,

Do women have a bigger sweet tooth then men?

Me and my roommate are horrible about our sweet tooth. We have had midnight grocery runs to bake cookies, Marble slab (or Coldstones) splurges, and sometimes we even go to Don Pablos just for their chocolate volcano (Chocolate lovers must go to try this, it is pure heaven!). I dont have any male friends that do this, but it seems like every girl I know is guilty of this sort of behavior. Why is this? Are there guys out there who will disagree with my observation?

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
About chocolate, your observation is totally right ! I don't know why, but a majority of women i know are crazy of that. It's incredible.
And, i love chocolate too, but not as more as women.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
All of the women I know each have a quite demanding sweet tooth - except one. She craves sour.

I (male) have a hot tooth, if there is such a thing. I raid the fridge for hot sauce sometimes during the day - yes, just sauce. Thai Red Chili is my current favorite.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Swam that is a new one, Just the sauce? Do you just take spoon fulls?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
You need like a chili sauce EZ Cheese dispenser... so you can just push the nozzle and aerosol it into your mouth.

[Evil]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Normally, it's just straight from the bottle on to a finger, in relatively small amounts. If it's a highly liquid sauce, I have to use a spoon. [Smile] Too much and the top of my head begins to tingle, and it's not an unpleasant feeling. I wonder if that's what "being high" feels like?
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben has a huge sweet tooth.
I don't have one at all. (Don't get me wrong, I'll eat sweets when they're set out in front of me, but I rarely get a craving for them.)

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I get cravings for candy every now and then, but I also get cravings for other kinds of food, especially salty food. I would definately pick something salty over something sweet.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely a salt-craver. Except for when I was pregnant, then I couldn't get enough chocolate. But that went away immediately after my daughter was born.

Mmmm, salt. I may have to go make some popcorn now.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn is definately one of the most addictive foods out there. What I really want right now are salted french fries, but I don't have any to make.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate, dude. For some reason chocolate tastes so much better than fruit... Then there are cashews to consider. I love cashews.
But mostly it's dark chocolate, or chocolate cakes that have enough chocolate to kill an elephant. Or triple chocolate milk shakes... mmmm.
I want some of that right now.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the chocolate fixation that women seem to, but I will stack my daily sugar consumption against one of you chocolate fiends any day. I will go through a box of Nerds like it was air. Dr Pepper and Laffy Taffy for breakfast. That kind of thing. Sugary sugar with artificial colors and flavors. Yum!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge fan of dark chocolate, but it usually doesn't take much to satisfy me at any one time. I like to get a bar of fairly high quality dark chocolate, and eat about 4 squares of it per day. Takes me about a week to get through a bar of the stuff. I could just sit down and eat half a bar in one sitting, but I wouldn't really be savoring the flavor and texture if I were to do that.

Lately I've been stubbing my squares of dark chocolate in crushed red peppers before each bite. The dark, (metaphorically) sultry richness of the chocolate combines wonderfully with the (non-metaphorical) heat of the peppers.

[ August 28, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman, Dagoba has the bar for you. It has chilis in the dark chocolate.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I've had that bar. Good stuff. Dagoba's chocolate is a little waxy for my taste, though, and they're a bit more expensive than I'd like. I can get a higher quality chocolate at Trader Joes for about half the price of a Dagoba bar, and then just dip it in the chiles myself.

Has anyone ever made their own dark chocolate? I don't even really know what would be involved, but I'd love to make some that's infused with oils or whathaveyou from very hot chiles.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband's sweet tooth is much worse than mine-- except for when I'm being influenced by hormones. Then I am likely to crave chocolate, ice cream, and cake (as well as salty snacks like tater tots and sour cream and cheddar Ruffles.) So, it depends what time of the month you ask the question... And whether or not I'm pregnant.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim's sweet tooth is hugely worse than mine. In his tea, he demands 4 teaspoons of sugar, for example. He needs his sugar snacks - cookies, cake, coconut squares, fudge, brownies - and every day.

On the other hand, I'm also a hormonal chocolate consumer. During part of my cycle, it's as if my very sanity is hinged on me getting chocolate into my system, and NOW!

Having said that, we're also like Swampjedi. We crave hot, and our capacity for hot is much much higher than normal, even for this area. [Big Grin] Just call us freaks of nature. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that men tend to crave protein with their fats -- like steak -- and women carbohydrates with their fats -- like chocolate.

I used to go nuts for chocolate, but I'm over that now. My favorite candies are black licorice, Atomic Fire Balls, and sour lemon drops. As my son would say, I only like sweets that have something icky about them.

And I would rather have a good oatmeal cookie than a piece of chocolate cake.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Hot + Salt = Heaven.

Hotsalt by Morton is bliss in a shaker.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like sweet and spicy together. Like the Fireballs or like Crystalized Ginger. Yum. I could seriously go overboard on that stuff.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.