FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religious Predicament: Should I be confirmed? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Religious Predicament: Should I be confirmed?
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reading this thread, it occurred to me: If dkw had been my pastor, I might very well still be religious. That's not to say I could go back at this point or that I think going back, in itself, would be a good thing for me. But I strongly suspect if Christianity is going to survive the cultural changes of the next hundred years it's going to be because of people like dkw.
I frequently have thoughts like that while reading dkw's posts. [Smile]

aiua- I left my parent's church when I was young. I thought I was being noble and brave and standing up for truth and righteousness and all that jazz. But when I think back on it, the motivations were probably more about rebellion and power struggles. That's not to say that I disagree with the conclusions that I made, but I do think I handled the situation poorly. I don't know your exact situation, but I know that if I were to do it again I would do it differently. Be honest with your dad. But if you believe that your refusal to be confirmed will lead to a power struggle, I suggest you just do it. Refusal is not worth the pain, and the damage to your relationship with your father will not disappear. Going through communion will most likely be horrible for you, but the short term pain probably will not equal the pain of the alternative.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reading this thread, it occurred to me: If dkw had been my pastor, I might very well still be religious. That's not to say I could go back at this point or that I think going back, in itself, would be a good thing for me. But I strongly suspect if Christianity is going to survive the cultural changes of the next hundred years it's going to be because of people like dkw.
It's interesting to suggest that whether or not you accept the religious message depends not on the message itself, but rather on the person presenting the message.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Tresopax- I think the two are interrelated. Methodism as espoused by dkw is not the same message as the methodism of one of my real life friends. The messanger brings their own understanding to the message, and thus dramatically alters the content.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I would encourage you to take the CCD classes and *be* the whiny athiest. Give the priest the opportunity to change your mind.

I was confirmed when I was 15, and I enjoyed immensely the confirmation classes that seemed to bore everyone else to tears -- despite the fact that I was, at best, an uncertain believer. I also frustrated the heck out of our youth minister, with whom I remain friends to this day [Smile] . When it came time to actually go through with it, each one of the confirmands in my class was required to read their Statement of Faith to the ... let's see... Session? Deacons? Who makes these decisions in the Presbyterian Church? ...

Anyway, most people read a paragraph-long statement that sounded suspiciously like ...what's it called? "I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of Heaven and Earth, and in Jesus Christ is only son our Lord...I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Holy Catholic Church, the ..." etc. That one.

Mine, however, was a page and a half long, single spaced, and, I might add, considerably more well thought out and considered than most because I had spent so much time thinking and considering what I had learned in my confirmation classes.

If you truly are looking to explore your faith -- or lack thereof -- I would encourage you to take the CCD classes. The teacher won't be wasting his or her time; hopefully you can help each other understand your convictions more deeply.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.