FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I guess some guys like getting almost run over (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I guess some guys like getting almost run over
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night. Me, quite tired after a 9+ hour day at work. 99-cent store. Almost ran a guy down with my cart because I wasn't paying enough attention. Apologized.

When I passed him on another aisle a few minutes later, he tried to get my phone number. *blink* And really didn't want to take no for an answer . . . I was becoming very uncomfortable by the time he finally let me walk away without following.

I would be flattered if I weren't somewhat freaked by the whole you're-saying-no-but-you-can't-possibly-really-MEAN-no thing. [Razz]

The whole thing was quite surreal, although I imagine that's the sleep deprivation. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Go back to bed.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Can't. Have to go work on stuff for my third job. Right now I'm procrastinating. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you even a teensy bit flattered (inside) that he found you attractive enough to ask for your phone number? Or were you just entirely creeped out by his forwardness instead?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the smell of procrastination in the morning. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Bit flattered at first. This progressed to more and more creeped out when he insisted on refusing a gracious no and forced me to be less gracious.
rivka
Member # 4859

mack, are you saying I smell?

*checks discreetly*

mackillian
Member # 586

No. I suspect procrastination smells strongly of coffee.

At least in the morning.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooohhhh.... That was ummm me yes....

j/k as I stated on countless occasions I live in Canada probly very very very far away from you [Razz] .

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
No. I suspect procrastination smells strongly of coffee.

At least in the morning.

*sips latte* Good point.
mackillian
Member # 586

'Cept my mornings. Right now, procrastination smells like chai.
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read Pride and Prejudice? The store scenario reminds me of Mr. Collins marriage proposal to Elizabeth which he can't possibly believe she would turn down.

``I am not now to learn,'' replied Mr. Collins, with a formal wave of the hand, ``that it is usual with young ladies to reject the addresses of the man whom they secretly mean to accept, when he first applies for their favour; and that sometimes the refusal is repeated a second or even a third time. I am therefore by no means discouraged by what you have just said, and shall hope to lead you to the altar ere long.''

``Upon my word, Sir,'' cried Elizabeth, ``your hope is rather an extraordinary one after my declaration. I do assure you that I am not one of those young ladies (if such young ladies there are) who are so daring as to risk their happiness on the chance of being asked a second time. I am perfectly serious in my refusal

``I know it to be the established custom of your sex to reject a man on the first application, and perhaps you have even now said as much to encourage my suit as would be consistent with the true delicacy of the female character.''

``Really, Mr. Collins,'' cried Elizabeth with some warmth, ``you puzzle me exceedingly. … I know not how to express my refusal in such a way as may convince you of its being one.''

``…your refusal of my addresses is merely words of course… I must therefore conclude that you are not serious in your rejection of me, I shall choose to attribute it to your wish of increasing my love by suspense, according to the usual practice of elegant females.''

``I thank you again and again for the honour you have done me in your proposals, but to accept them is absolutely impossible. My feelings in every respect forbid it. Can I speak plainer?.''

``You are uniformly charming!'' cried he, with an air of awkward gallantry; ``and I am persuaded that when sanctioned by the express authority of both your excellent parents, my proposals will not fail of being acceptable.''

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"You find me attractive. Your mouth says no, but your eyes... well, they say no also, but you find me attractive."
-Matt Gallant (have no idea who that is, or if it's a movie character or something...)

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
'Cept my mornings. Right now, procrastination smells like chai.

I had chai yesterday morning. Today I needed more serious caffeination.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I was involved in a hit and run yesterday-- guy rear-ended me, drove off. I was so suprised, I didn't get his license plate.

This is the third time I've been rear-ended this year. You'd think I wouldn't be suprised any more.

Thankfully, the damage to my car was minimal-- a touch of paint, I'm done.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You find me attractive. Your mouth says no, but your eyes... well, they say no also, but you find me attractive.
That's funny. At least he's honest with himself.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

quote:
Today I needed more serious caffeination
I've already had a can of Dt. Mtn. Dew. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

He's convinced she finds him attractive despite all evidence to the contrary? This is honest how?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
He's honest about having no reason other than his ego to believe it? </devil's advocate>
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, guys, that's just a quote I found out in one of my files. Most surely meant to be funny. F-U-N-N-Y. Sheesh... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I've already had a can of Dt. Mtn. Dew. [Wink]
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! >_<
mackillian
Member # 586

Like I was going to share anyway.
rivka
Member # 4859

*snickersnort* 'Course not. You've got cooties.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

what's this "foo-knee" you speak of, Corwin?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I have never had a woman react negatively to my drinking chai in their presence.

Edit: in fact, thinking about it, I went on to do fairly well, romantically speaking, with every woman I ever drank chai on a date with.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Chai is fine. [Smile] But I've never been too concerned about if a guy is "manly" or not, so my opinion might not count.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah. Also, I live and date in the midwest. I'm betting those are different here, too.

If you haven't, you should also try a cafe miel. . . it's a little coffee with milk, honey, and lots of spices. Tastes kinda like chai.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Chai smells like cinnamon and vanilla. I like cinnamon and vanilla. Guys who exude cinnamon and vanilla seem fairly manly to me.

Still don't want to be picked up by one at the market. [Wink]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have three coffee dates in the next week, and I'm not a big coffee fan, so I figured I should probably ask if chai is somehow unmanly or something
Speaking as a man, I have to say that I would reject any woman who got hung up about a thing like that. Sure, I can respect the fact that a woman would want her man to not actually be girly. But we're talking about a beverage, for crying out loud.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do women think of guys who drink chai?

That they're not Mormon.

Which I'm assuming is not a problem for you. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
quote:
I have three coffee dates in the next week, and I'm not a big coffee fan, so I figured I should probably ask if chai is somehow unmanly or something
Speaking as a man, I have to say that I would reject any woman who got hung up about a thing like that. Sure, I can respect the fact that a woman would want her man to not actually be girly. But we're talking about a beverage, for crying out loud.
I have to say that I agree.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Is chai pronounced anything like 'Kaj?'

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I usually don't think anything about a guy who orders chai than he must want to sip some chai.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That they're not Mormon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the yarmulke didn't already give it away

Exactly. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
The Matt Gallant that I've heard of is the past host of "America's Funniest Animals" on Animal Planet. [/derail]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
camus, I was thinking of that scene too when I read rivka's initial post. [Smile] It's one of my favorites, ranking right up there with the scene where Lady Catherine de Beorg talks to Elizabeth in the park at Lizzy's house. I just love Lizzy's answers.

I'm looking forward to the new film version coming out next month. Should be interesting to see Lizzy played by Keira Knightley. It would be even more fun, just from an ironic standpoint, to see her play Emma. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the dialogue in that story was very enjoyable to read and was probably what I enjoyed the most about the book. I too am looking forward to the new movie next month. It's not something I talk a lot about, though, since I'm the only guy I know that has read and enjoyed this book.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:

Soooooo, if a guy orders a Pink Flirtini, is that girly enough that I can start judging him on his choice of beverage?

[Wink]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what that is, but you can give a drink any name you want when you create it. Unless the beverage itself actually contains estrogen, I don't much care what sex the drinker is. The ingestion of a collection of ingredients does not make a person manly or girly, and if it has an unfortunate name, we can give it a new one.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, what's in a Pink Flirtini? Can you make me one? Does it have an umbrella?

Hmmm... Except if it's got estrogen in it. Verily has a good point there. Estrogen probably doesn't taste good.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
what's in a Pink Flirtini?
Apparently, "Stoli Raspberry, Cointreau, pineapple, cranberry and lime juices topped with champagne."

Sounds rather sweet, tart, and bubbly. Presumably that's how it got the name. [Wink]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I hereby re-dub it the "Pink Floyd".

Now manly guys will be lining up for it.

ElJay
Member # 6358

It's actually not very good. But I was wearing all pink when we went out for my birthday, so Judi decided she should order one for me.

Or, rather, I didn't like it that much. I suppose some people might.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't sound very good, no. But did it have a little umbrella?

Is Pink Floyd manly? I'm not seeing that with most of their songs, and <understatement>the biggest Pink Floyd fan I know is not a particularly manly guy.</understatement>

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Pink Floyd is kick-ass classic rock. They're what tough guys listened to in the '70s.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll toss my two cents in about one of the many topics being tossed around...

I am positively obsessed with Pride and Prejudice. It is such a wonderful, witty, sharp, romantic story.

I'm skeptical of the new film, though. I seriously doubt that Keira Knightly can do the role of Elizabeth justice. I've seen the trailer, and eh. Maybe if the 1995 mini-series hadn't been made, it'd be ok. That, to me, is the ultimate film made from a book. It's so wonderful!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It did not have a little umbrella. I don't remember what the garnish was, but all in all it was pretty lame.

Hey! Guess Pink Floyd is a good name for it!

ElJay
Member # 6358

By the way, is Saturday cool for lunch at Matt's, B?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
. . . Pink Floyd *sigh* I'll never forget my reaction upon hearing "The Wall" the first time - I was dumbfounded. I even had the temerity to yell at my dad for interrupting my listening to it on headphones . . . which, of course, interrupted the listening for a couple more weeks due to being grounded for disrespect . . . which only enhanced the enjoyment when I finally got to listen all the way through . . .

I also like coffee. Strong. With cream. It's one of life's little necessities, helps kickstart the morning so nicely.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

...And he didn't take his belt to you?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.