FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell mph and bev what to watch. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell mph and bev what to watch.
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
- About a boy
- Garden State
- Boondock Saints
- Donnie Darko
- Band of Brothers (if you think you can stomach it/enjoy it, personally I loved the series but it's not for everyone)
- Shawn of the Dead
- Galaxy Quest
- Almost any movies produced/written by Mel Brooks
- I'd recommend a lot of Quentin tarantino's films but it sounds like you might not enjoy them. If you do, Pulp Fiction and Sin City (not Tarantino but similar style) are good choices.
- Without a Paddle (better than I expected)
- Elf (has some memorable lines)
- Fight Club
- Leon (also known as "The Professional")
- The Sixth Sense
- Twelve Monkeys
- Snatch
- Office Space

Lot's of movies there... I hope you'll find at least a few in there you'll like [Big Grin]

[ August 31, 2005, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Rico ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been sitting on the same Netflix movie for about a month (I'm on a one-at-a-time plan), and I've gradually stopped feeling guilty about "wasting" my account. I'll return it when I'm good and ready -- and when I've shown it to everyone who needs to see it.

The movie in question is The Twilight Samurai, btw, which I highly recommend if you find appealing the idea of a slow-paced samurai movie that focuses on interpersonal relationships over swordsmanship while managing to paint a surprisingly accurate (for a movie) historical picture of Japan on the edge of cataclysmic change. (It is a Japanese movie, so you have to not mind subtitles.)

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My Big Fat Greek Wedding, especially if you like Everybody Loves Raymond.

I had more in mind, but they all just went *poof*.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leon (also known as "The Professional")
*Luc Besson alert goes off*

Just to clarify, Leon the Professional is the French version and The Professional is the version released in the states. The big difference is that The Professional took out a lot of scenes that suggested something close to pedophilia, and the scene where the little girl drinks wine in a restaurant. Personally I do not think there was anything truly inappropriate in Leon the Professional, but since the little girl's only female mentors in life were her trampy (I think a prostitute too) mother and the older teenage sister, the girl shows confusion as to her role in society as a woman. Perhaps they could be a little uncomfortable. Anyway. I'll shush now [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all. My Netflix queue had been dropping dangerously close to 40, but it's back up to almost 50. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
MyrddinFyre:

Yeah I know, I've actually seen both versions of the movie. I thought both versions were pretty good and I merely referred them to the other name in case they couldn't find the uncut version [Smile] Nice to see you're familiar with the movie!

I do agree that it was more of a mentor relationship bordering more on her seeing Leon as her adopted father rather than some twisted love affair.

Anyways, it's a great movie, very different from the stuff you usually see out there.

*thumbs up*

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... "The Fifth Element" is the movie I've seen most times. I *do* love it, but the real reason for the multiple viewing is that it happened to be on TV on different channels exactly at a time when there was nothing else to watch and I wasn't interested in doing anything else. Maybe it's a sign?! o_O

Oh, and if you haven't seen Shawshank Redemption, you should! It's just one of the best movies I've ever seen.

About Donnie Darko: the first time I saw it I had problems understanding parts of it. The second time, I really liked it. The third time I started wondering if there weren't in fact too many untold stories just to make it look "intelligent"... (third time was because of a friend who hadn't seen it)

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable might just be Bruce Willis' best movies. I suggest you watch them both.

Run Lola Run has quite an interesting concept. And if you like it, you might also be interested in Sliding Doors.

You *have* seen Contact, right? I shouldn't even ask you about Gattaca.

For some light & romantic, though not extraordinary cheesy movies, watch Hitch and Love Actually.

I had some other ideas, I'll post them when I remember them.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... Gattaca... *drools*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eruve Nandiriel:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding, especially if you like Everybody Loves Raymond.

I had more in mind, but they all just went *poof*.

But that movie's 50 billion times better than Everybody Loves Raymond.
And Dharma and Greg too, both of which are shows that I HATE even though they have the same theme as that movie.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
About Donnie Darko: the first time I saw it I had problems understanding parts of it. The second time, I really liked it. The third time I started wondering if there weren't in fact too many untold stories just to make it look "intelligent"... (third time was because of a friend who hadn't seen it)

If you watch the Director's Cut of Donnie Darko, it's much easier to understand.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to find it and hope it's clearer.

Btw, what's the reason behind having a standard version and a director's cut one for movies in general?!

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, that's cool that you've been benefitting from this thread. I hope some others are too.

*continues taking notes*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
How about The Ref with Denis Leary and Kevin Spacey? Also, I second Office Space, Fifth Element, and Galaxy Quest .
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.