FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Poor Sophie, poor me...much whining (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Poor Sophie, poor me...much whining
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, this is a poor me thread.

Sophie's been sick with a small cold -- runny nose, bit of a cough -- for about two weeks now. She still isn't sleeping through the night and our weekends have been getting increasingly busy. The house isn't getting clean, we're exhausted, the fun painting project that I started but haven't been able to work on in two weeks mocks me and I would really love to take a small vacation but vacation hours/finances/schedules aren't allowing this year.

Saturday Sophie cried all night. Somewhere abouts 2am, as I was switching off with Tom so I could get a few minutes of sleep -- she only wants to be comforted by me and usually only will calm down when nursed -- someone smashed the solar lights in front of our house.

She seemed to be better on Sunday and slept through the night, but she didn't sleep again last night and the doc says she has a small ear infection.

*whine* Its not even cold and flu season. *feeble voice* I'm so tired and defeated.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Christy! Poor, sweet baby!

Poor, sweet Baby Sophie, too!

Let me put on my thinking cap. *muses

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Boo gets like that sometimes. Usually it's because his ears are bothering him, but you already knew that. Since most ear infections either do not respond to antibiotics or clear up on their own anyway, I don't give them to him unless they persist for a while. However, I did get some prescription pain-relieving ear drops for him. That, coupled with some Motrin at night before bed help tremendously. This may or may not be helpful with Sophie. Mostly, I wanted you to know that I sympathize. Poor baby. [Frown]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, you have my sympathy. I hope she starts feeling better and sleeping longer soon.

Just remember, this is leverage you can use on her when she's a teenager. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, poor thing. [Kiss] My baby's been sick, too, but she's better. Here's hoping yours is soon.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is no fun. I can sympathise; Andrew has been kept up all week by a diaper rash, if you can imagine. I hope she gets better soon.Benadryl can be a huge help at times like this; it helps relieve the pressure.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor baby!

. . . and I feel bad for Sophie too. [Wink]

I hope you are all sleeping better soon!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When my baby had a stuffy cold, he always felt better when I steamed him. Run the hottest shower in the closed up bathroom and have your baby breathe up the steam. In fact, my baby still wants this treatment when he has a cold, and he's 14 years old now. He says that it is wonderful, and when he comes out of the steamy bathroom, he feels terrific.
He generally stays for a 20 minute steam.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Benadryl can be a huge help at times like this; it helps relieve the pressure.

Benadryl also helps by working as a sleep aid - but I'm sure you knew that already.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
A drop of pure garlic oil in each ear, cotton balls, and stocking cap pulled down low over the ears. Steam is also lovely for getting those stuck places open and flowing.

Second on the benedryl and/or motrin.

Hugs for all . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Benadryl also helps by working as a sleep aid
Not always! Be careful if you don't know how your kid will react; I get hyper half the time on Benadryl and tired the other half. And there's no way to predict which one. [Dont Know]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>he always felt better when I steamed him.

Steamed baby. . . never tried it. If I must cook babies, I prefer to sautee or grill them.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Steamed baby. . . never tried it.
Oh, but you must! It makes the tenderest, sweetest baby you've ever had.

I would eat mine up with a spoon!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Between the Mormons and the Jews and the Catholics on this board, I'm fairly certain we have all the baby recipes available to mankind. . .

I don't include the pagans because, honestly, modern paganism just hasn't been around long enough to develop truly interesting dishes. And it may be heretical to say, but until recently, Mormon infantile cuisine was just a mishmash of recipes we stole from the Masons (no longer eating babies) and our Catholic neighbors.

Wanna trade recipes? I'm afraid I'll get more from the deal than you might (see above), but I got this fabulous Paella di Nino recipe from an itinerant Kabbala Mystic, Abram di Gazpacho. It doesn't call for shellfish, obviously [Smile] , which I've always felt necessary in a good paella, but hey-- it's still delicious, especially when the baby is steeped overnight in a marinade of parsley and sage. I'm especially interested in lime sauces, so if you have any. . . send 'em on, my baby-eating friends of the world!

Let us eat the baby of love. . . TOGETHER!

[ August 31, 2005, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
<----Resisting the overwhelming urge to yell "Get over it!"
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Saying that you're resisting the urge to say something is the same thing as saying it.

I think you should just say it outright instead of pretending to be pretending to be polite.

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I make no pretense at being polite, but did think that I should at least soften my response by admitting that I struggled with the decision to post it...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy honey, I'm sorry. There isn't a mother alive who doesn't know that feeling of "I've just GOT to get away for a while" and when you can't get a break it's tough.

All my kids have gone through phases where Daddy just won't do, only Mommy can make them feel better, and when mommy doesn't feel good herself it can be hard.

Hang in there, sweetie. I hope ya'll are feeling better soon.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Well, I decided not to make yesterday my day off and to take it as one of my few sick days. Today I sent Sophie to daycare and will spend the day recovering.

I've been laughing at the Benadryl suggestions, because I had been giving Sophie Benadryl, with what I thought was success, but my doctor was all over me for that saying she was sure that was why Sophie wasn't sleeping those two nights. I didn't remember until later that afternoon that I hadn't given her any Monday night.

TheHumanTarget, I will get over it, thanks. Today is much better and its no good sitting around pitying yourself, but sometimes a little of that helps when you're really feeling down.

Sleep issues are such a sensitive subject and really there is no good resource out there aside from other moms to vent and get options from. I've found my doctors pretty clueless and uncommunicative about it. I know I have been struggling with depression due to hormones and lack of sleep and were I not of a pretty strong mind about myself, I think I would be in a lot of trouble.

That said, Sophie and I had a fabulous day yesterday together playing outside with her sidewalk chalk, and with her ball. We went to the park and went down all the slides and nicely, most of the slides are double slides so I could slide down next to her and hold her hand. We took a long walk in the wagon and stopped to get a cookie treat from the local coffee shop. She was adorable and since I was able to nap with her, I really enjoyed the day. She slept well last night and I'll keep my fingers crossed that she continues to do so.

Thanks for the support and encouragement, all!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]

Let's hope last night is the beginning of a trend!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

>>TheHumanTarget, I will get over it, thanks. Today is much better and its no good sitting around pitying yourself, but sometimes a little of that helps when you're really feeling down.

I thought THT was talking about my baby-eating jokes.

If he was talking to YOU. . . well, I lost my scorn horn this morning, but once I find it, I shall sound a note that will shatter the wind and frost his eyeballs.

:menacing:

Growl. Grr. Rowr.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, glad to hear you've gotten some rest and a good day or two.

Baby V has been giving us fits as well, here of lates. She's decided that her bedtime should be around 11:00 pm or later (I think she wants to watch Iron Chef or something). She had been sleeping through the night, but now it's touch and go.

We've also been slowing introducing baby food to her and the gas pains have been horrific. We've tried the anti-gas drops and they help a bit, but oh my.

I guess everyone goes through this with their babies from time to time, but with everything we've been through recently, things are getting pretty tense.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

All my kids have gone through phases where Daddy just won't do, only Mommy can make them feel better,

I would say that I never left this phase.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, but there's a flip side, sarah - some of my kids want Daddy if they're hurt. In my house, if they're sick and want to cuddle or be cared for, they want Mommy. If it's an injury involving acute pain or blood of any kind, they want Daddy. Probably because he pulls out his paramedic bag and looks all professional as he cleans the boo boo and takes care of it.

Makes it tough when someone falls and gets hurt when Daddy ins't home. One of my daughters asked me once if I was sure I even knew how to properly clean and bandage a wound. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 8556

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark         Edit/Delete Post 
Slow day at work today, Scott?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I think I went through a phase like that too. But now I think I fairly universally want mom when things go wrong. Even if I'm sick or have sliced up my hand or have people being mean to me.

Maybe I should tell my mom that. It might make her feel special. And since I'm 25 and don't exactly run to her with any of those problems it's not even annoying anymore.

Christy, I hope things stay better this too will pass.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Sopwith, food introduction messed with Sophie's sleep schedule as well. She always wanted her "dinner" at around 7pm and then she would have horrible gas pains when we put her to bed at 8 or 9. We were able to slowly move her dinner time earlier, which helped because we could be more active and work out the gas. It didn't help that her favorite food was peas. [Smile]

I am SO excited. I just laid Sophie down to sleep and stood next to her as she put herself to sleep. No fussing, just some sleepy eyed fun of kicking mama through the bars of the crib before closing her eyes, checking to be sure I was there twice and a bit of restlessness after I left. We're moving in the right direction!

rivka
Member # 4859

a quiet [The Wave]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, she goes to sleep with you in the room? My daughter won't consider it if she can see or hear us anywhere near. The only way she will go to sleep, other than in the car, is to have her bedtime routine, be in her crib, with the door shut, alone, and scream herself to sleep.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Not to be nasty-boastful, but my baby loved to sleep. Alone. In his crib. All the night through. And, after his pre-school years, when he started going to school full days, he was shocked to find that there was no nap time. He demanded a nap at his after care.

When he was a new and tiny infant, I had to wake him up to nurse, or he would just sleep and not eat.

[/nasty-boast]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow. Maybe I'll have one of those one day. She sleeps fine once she goes down; it's the going down that's a problem. (My parents say they know where she gets it...)
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Boo sleeps in the living room in his crib. When bedtime rolls around, we put him in it and tell him goodnight, then go about our business. He doesn't care if we watch TV, work on the computers, sit on the couch and read, or go to bed ourselves. He just goes to sleep, on cue, within about 5 minutes of us telling him goodnight.

Of course, now that I've said that, he'll never, ever go to sleep again in the crib. [Razz]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My niece is like that. When she's tired, you just put a quilt on the floor, lay her on it, and no matter where she is or what's going on, she rolls over, sticks a couple of fingers in her mouth, and falls fast asleep.

Of course, then MY daughter goes and pokes and pats her... [Razz]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Our son has a switch. Get past about 9:00 and he's a goner. Sometimes he even toddles to his bed and gets in it himself. And he's slept through the night since about 3 months old. I love that about him.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Between the Mormons and the Jews and the Catholics on this board, I'm fairly certain we have all the baby recipes available to mankind. . .

I don't include the pagans because, honestly, modern paganism just hasn't been around long enough to develop truly interesting dishes. And it may be heretical to say, but until recently, Mormon infantile cuisine was just a mishmash of recipes we stole from the Masons (no longer eating babies) and our Catholic neighbors.

Wanna trade recipes? I'm afraid I'll get more from the deal than you might (see above), but I got this fabulous Paella di Nino recipe from an itinerant Kabbala Mystic, Abram di Gazpacho. It doesn't call for shellfish, obviously [Smile] , which I've always felt necessary in a good paella, but hey-- it's still delicious, especially when the baby is steeped overnight in a marinade of parsley and sage. I'm especially interested in lime sauces, so if you have any. . . send 'em on, my baby-eating friends of the world!

Let us eat the baby of love. . . TOGETHER!

I am a Mason, and you should TRY some of our GAOTU cusine....you would die for it....

Really. You would.

We just have better press people than you, that's all. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Kq, much screaming ensues when I leave the room when putting Sophie to sleep, and I don't have the heart to leave her to cry (we've tried for an hour at the longest) and she cries harder when Tom comes in because she wants me. I've nursed her to sleep mostly till now, but have been experimenting with ways to get her to put herself to sleep and I've been able to comfort her to sleep without nursing a precious few times. This is a big accomplishment [Smile] That said, she didn't sleep through the night, but hey.

Boon -- Sophie would SO want to play if we did that. [Smile] I've been telling her that mama and dada are going to sleep now too in hopes that she'll realize she isn't missing anything by going to sleep.

I was so impressed by her falling asleep that I forgot to mention that she learned the word 'night-night last night too. She repeated it back to me. *warm smile*

rivka
Member # 4859

awwwwwwww!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww. Does she blow kisses, too? [Smile]
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the sleepless nights spent worrying and comforting our children are what gives us our "stripes" as moms. It also gives us that special place in our childrens' hearts.

At least that's what I tell myself when there is nothing else to keep me going at 4:30 in the AM as I'm cleaning bedsheets for the 4th time or sitting-up so that my coughing kid can sleep cradled in an upright position.

As I understand it, this is not just a fairytale that I tell myself, but the truth. They say that if a child is nurtured and helped when in need, that the child learns it is worthy of help and nurturing and will carry this knowledge through the rest of it's life.

Good job, all you exhausted moms and dads!

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Masons still eat babies?

Wow. Your PR folks ARE good.

Christy
Member # 4397

Yes, she blows kisses now, too [Smile] And this morning I asked her where Homer Simpson's eye was -- we have the new dvd set where the case is a big Homer head -- and she looked up at me with a big grin, pointed to her eye and said loudly and clearly in a very big girl excited voice "EYE!" She, and we, were so proud.

She put herself to sleep again last night! Woo-hoo!

rivka
Member # 4859

WTG Sophie! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, what a big girl! Aren't baby kisses sweet? (Of course, the original novelty has worn off for Emma, and now there are times when you ask for a kiss and she shakes her head no. [ROFL] )
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
yay! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I and my brothers always cried for my father in the night. Why? My mother is an *extremely* sound sleeper and she wouldn't wake up. Dad would wake her up if we were spewing fluids, but otherwise it was his domain.

I guess we adjusted since it was what we knew.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As I understand it, this is not just a fairytale that I tell myself, but the truth. They say that if a child is nurtured and helped when in need, that the child learns it is worthy of help and nurturing and will carry this knowledge through the rest of it's life.

This reminded me of an editorial I read in "Mothering" when my oldest was a baby- very profound, and the one piece of writing, more than any other, that has had the greatest influence on my parenting:

http://www.mothering.com/guest_editors/quiet_place/126.html

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I agree with the statement you quoted, and with some of that editorial. But not with all of it.

I am a proponent of modified Ferberizing, for instance. I also think that the "nature doesn't make mistakes" line (which I've heard before) is utter nonsense. Both because I think it is clearly untrue (at least in the sense it's being used) and because I don't think it's terribly relevant.

I nursed all my kids well past a year (20 months with my youngest), but I don't expect that every mother will do that. I strongly felt that once my kids were 3-4 months, they should sleep in a separate room. But I have no problem with those who make a different choice -- except when they imply (or state outright, as this article does) that my choice is wrong.

There are many "right" ways to parent.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I agree. There HAS to be a line that they don't cross, once they get old enough to understand that. I am not talking about newborns, or if something wrong, but take a loook at some of those so-called nanny shows....I have reality TV, but one thing those shows HAVE shown is that children are supremely selfifh, and giving in to their demands only reinforces their poor behavior.

However, I liked the focus she had on touching and loving babies. The physical aspect of that is very imporant, and often overlooked. I know a lot of fathers are uncomfortable holding their abbies, but I am so glad that my paernts encouraged me to learn about shildern when I was young, and that they allowed me to express my interest in babies by allowing me to hold my little sister, and my neices and nephews, so now I love holding children.

I got to hold my neice an hour after birth, and while I was a little nervous about such a tiny baby, I loved holding her and careing for her a little. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Abba is always the one who gets Emma out of her crib if he's home. So when she wakes up, she plays a little (unless she's really thirsty or had a nightmare) and then you hear, "Abba! Abba!" It's very cute.
romanylass
Member # 6306

I have to admit- I've tried, but I can't wrap my mind around the idea of leaving a baby to cry. It really touches a nerve with me. Or even a toddler- if our three year old actually starts out in his bed, he's always with us by morning. A toddler or older kid crying for candy or a toy-whcih I would not give in to-is totally different than a baby who does not have the brain development to know Mom and Dad will come back crying to be comforted.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.