FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Poor Sophie, poor me...much whining (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Poor Sophie, poor me...much whining
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if your kids absolutely would not sleep any other way, you'd get used to it. >_<
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, even unmodified Ferberizing is NOT simply "leaving a baby to cry"; modified even more so.

Second of all, sometimes leaving a baby to cry IS the necessary/reasonable thing to do. I have a friend whose daughter (now almost twelve and a lovely, sweet young lady) was colicky from a few weeks of age until almost 6 months -- long after the doctors (and she kept taking her to the pediatrician, and then another one, and another one) said she would stop. NONE of the usual colic comfort methods did much; most did absolutely nothing.

Her pediatrician strongly recommended that she try one or two comfort methods, and then (if they didn't work) to just leave the baby in her crib to cry. He did this because my friend was pretty close to a nervous breakdown, but I have heard similar advice given to other parents of colicky infants.

You don't have to agree with my methods. I don't agree with some of yours. But I would not tell you were wrong to use them (unless I seriously thought they were dangerous).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't use the word wrong, I said it touched a nerve with me. I think I must react to hearing about it the same way a vegetarian reacts to someone describing the yummy steak they made.
But I do think misused it can be dangerous. I have heard way too many stories of babies crying until the threw up on themselves (usually followed by the moms doing things differntly).
Believe me when I say that if we never resorted to Ferberizing Olivia, there's always another way. The only thing we remember from her first year is crying and sleeplessness followed by more crying and sleeplessness. But I feel I did the right thing by her.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You have not used the word wrong. You've merely implied it, repeatedly. What do you think sentences like "we never resorted to Ferberizing Olivia, there's always another way" imply, exactly?

And the editorial stated it blatantly.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I did the right thing by my child by making her sleep, and ensuring I had enough to take care of her without snapping.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Same here. I have GOOD memories of my kids' first years. I am a much better mommy when I got enough sleep.
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
You all did the right thing for your situations and your kids and most of all for yourselves. It is important to have a healthy, happy and loved child, but at some point it comes with too high a toll on yourself and decisions have to be made.

There is nothing wrong with the Ferber technique if it works for your child and I have heard many happy parents who had one tough night of standing their ground that this was bedtime and their children and themselves had many blissful nights of sleep afterwards with no fussing, and as rivka points out, there are no battles later on about introduced comfort techniques. We tried and after a week of frustration on all ends, I realized this was not a technique that was going to work for us. I've spent two months trying to find one that would and I'm not convinced that Sophie didn't just decide that it was time for her to go to sleep on her own herself now that she knows what 'night-night is. [Smile] She outsmarted me.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
She outsmarted me.
No matter what technique(s) you use, sooner or later it comes down to that. [Wink]

Just wait till she's a preteen. [Big Grin]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I can't wait. I've told Tom that those are his years. *laugh*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.