FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things I found out about myself. (a rant) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Things I found out about myself. (a rant)
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll admit that having to be amazing to get a performance job was a bit of hyperbole (it was late, and I was feeling silly). Still, to me, talent and incompetence when it comes to playing an instrument are mutually exclusive. Competent cellists are most certainly NOT rare. Your friends must have some pretty solid talent in order to get orchestra jobs, which usually have 100+ applicants to every spot.

The violist...yes, that's another story. Viola is an instrument that doesn't have a lot of players, so, yes, it's easier for a violist to get a job.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
But perhaps in his area they are more rare?

I DO know that if you are decent at French Horn you can get hired a LOT easier than if you are decent at flute, from personal experiences. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have many passions and activities, and I have a practical job. I hated it the first few years, but now I don't mind, mostly because I absolutely adore the boss and company I work for.

Also, it is pretty cool. Much of it is boring, but there are parts that I like and I feel like much of it fits me.

It's nice not to worry about money. I'm not wealthy, and I can't do everything I want, but I don't worry about it. I don't worry about the grocery store, or if my car breaks down, or rent, or having enough for the doctor. I think about money because I have to and because I like to play more than I can afford so I have to pick and choose, but I don't worry. And since I can leave my job at the office, the evenings and weekends are all mine, to follow my passions with peace of mind.

That's worth a lot.

---

For the guy, I agree with Noemon. If he makes you unhappy more than he makes you happy, then he's not a friend, no matter what kind of person he is. His personal qualities matter less than the health of your relationship, and the relationship, sweetheart, sounds really crappy.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Kwea, it's distantly, remotely possible, I suppose, but I'm pretty familiar with the cello "scene," and competent cellists just aren't rare. It's a fairly popular instrument, which means there are lots of talented teachers who produce lots of talented students.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not minor in music? Or double major in Engineering (or something else you'd enjoy that would pay the bills) and music??

I used to work as a student worker at the library where I went to school. I was very good. I practically ran the library, and I was just a student. I had supervisors, of course, but I had a lot of responsibilities and I worked a lot of hours. One day, the librarian was commenting how nobody was indispensible...not her, not me.. nobody. The library would go on without us. And she was right. Last I heard, they were doing fine...but also still using the manual I had written for part of the job. That made me feel good. [Smile] So I wasn't indispensible, but I made my mark.

I majored in English in college. My mother wanted me to go to college, but she never told me what ot major in. She was always supportive. But see, I didn't understand that there was a broad range of jobs out there in the big bad world. I honestly thought my only options would be Pediatrician and English teacher. I decided on English teacher because I couldn't stand the sight of blood. Silly, isn't it? I should have realized that nothing was really out of my reach. I dreamed about exotic jobs like oceanography and archaeology...but I never thought that I could do them. That was for other people... people who had been working for that goal since high school. But I was wrong. I think if I could do it all over again, I'd do archaeology with an emphasis on linguistics. You ever watch Stargate?? Well, I want to BE Daniel Jackson. Heh... [Smile] But more like a Daniella...because I'm happy being a girl. [Smile]

It's the other areas in our lives where we can't be replaced. We can't be replaced in the lives of those who love us. Even if you get married and die (God forbid), and your husband marries again...he still hasn't replaced YOU. Another wife, yes. But no one can really replace you. That wife is loved for being her own self...not because she's filling your role. You could never be replaced in the hearts of your parents, either.

Is a music career what you want most in your life because you were recommended for a scholarship? I ask because I have been very impressionable in my life...especially in high school. If someone told me I would be good at something, it could completely change the direction in my life as I went toward that goal. (An English teacher told me that he thought I would be a good English teacher.) Give it some time to figure out what you really want for the rest of your life. It will hopefully be a long time, and you don't have to make the decision now.

And your dad is right about them being able to replace you in your music groups. Of course they can. But that doesn't matter...what matters is that if you want it, that's YOUR space. You can add something beautiful and unique to the group...something nobody else could do.

Trust me...being financially stable is SUPER important. It's no fun living paycheck to paycheck, and trying to figure out what bills to put off until next month. You also need to consider that making music your JOB might take all the fun out of it. There's no reason in the world why you can't have a job doing one thing, and a hobby playing music.

As for Matt... It sounds like there is a big difference between who Matt really is and who you think he is. He's young... it's not like he'll be acting like this forever...he'll probably grow out of it. But in the meantime... please move on and save yourself more heartache. It seems like your whole social life is wrapped up in him...he has his boys, where are your girls?? You know that old song.. (probably not..it is old, after all)... God help the mister who comes between me and my sister(s), and God help the sister who comes between me and my man... Well...where are your sisters, girl?? Cause you need some bad. [Smile] Let Matt go for now. Let him be with his friend... YOU might not like him, but chances are, MATT does, but is too timid to tell you that. Guys are weird.. they like each other even when they act stupid. [Wink]

Anyway...I also recommend that you not go to any formals with this boy. Do your best to forget about him by going and making new friends. In a few years, if it's right, you'll meet again all grown up..and it'll be great.. if it's right. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
"Competent" was an exaggeration... and also my very successful cellist friend had her heyday 10-15 years ago... perhaps the market was different then?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Perhaps; there are actually fewer jobs available now as orchestras continue to lose money and decline, so the competition for every job (even the not-so-great ones) is fairly intense. The scarcity of jobs is actually one of the reasons I decided not to continue majoring in performance. That, and I'm a big ol Nerd when it comes to academic music. [Smile]
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Your huge posts are welcome here, Tinros!

How did you find out that your depression is genetic? Or, another question: have you always been depressed? Maybe there's something to be done to relieve it. It sounds like an upsetting time -- anybody might feel sad, genetic depression or not.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you can double major in engineering "and something," you're going to the wrong university. Getting a minor is possible, but you'd better have some solid work ethic. If you study engineering, it will be your life while you're in university. It doesn't matter how smart you are, engineering is hard for everyone. The sheer volume of work ensures that even outright genuises have to put some effort in.

I pursued engineering because it was what I thought society and my family expected of me. My mother still gets upset when I tell her that I'm not passionate about my job (she was a teacher). If I'd had my way I'm sure I'd be on the road to rock stardom even now. [Big Grin] But I lucked out -- I like engineering, and I like my job. It's interesting and challenging. It also not only pays the bills, but allows me to support my expensive hobbies (music, gadgets, video games) while still saving for my eventual retirement -- within a couple of months of starting my first job after graduating I'd bought a clavinova, and two months ago I bought a new acoustic guitar. With most other degrees I'd be looking at thousands of dollars of debt rather than shiny new musical instruments. I have no debt.

If I can be said to be passionate about anything, it's music. In fact, just last night I was up altogether too late recording a new piece. But my job affords me both the time (good vacation package) and the means (good pay) to pursue my interests and hobbies. I don't regret my chosen career path.

Tom's wrong, by the way -- I'm not one of those people who disassembles calculators for fun, and yet I somehow manage to be happy with my job. I might not be an engineer for the next 40 years but it'll certainly be for a good chunk of that (unless I wind up as the live-in love slave of a rich and wealthy woman [Wink] ).

I'm not necessarily advising you do what I did. You're very, very different from me in many respects, so what's worked out fantastically well for me might be awful for you. But engineering is not, contrary to what some have said on this thread, a lifestyle choice. It can be, if you want to climb the responsibility ladder -- in fact, a few people in my group spent the last couple of nights at work because of a problem in the plant -- but it isn't necessarily the case.

If music is the only thing you care about in the whole world, though, and you're sure that's what you want, go that route. I couldn't say that about myself, so I went the other way.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there are options out there besides music and engineering. If you don't want to be an engineer but don't think you can make a financially stable career out of music, you might want to consider a different profession. I wanted to be a famous sf/fantasy author in high school, but until I got to college I never considered the possibility that I would enjoy technical writing and editing just as well, if not better. Universities are great places to talk to people in all kinds of crazy fields and find one you'd be happy in.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
(Aside: Brinestone, if you like tech writing and are thinking about grad school, I recomend the program AFR is in at Utah State. They aren't ready for PhD students yet, but they have a very good online tech writing masters' degree.)
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't plan on going to grad school at this point. I may reconsider when I'm 50 or so, but for now, I'm not up for more school, especially since I plan on having kids soon.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.