FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We've got a bunny problem. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: We've got a bunny problem.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Our basement has a window that opens into our backyard. Since the entire basement is below ground level, the the window has a metal-sided "ditch" around it so that the window opens into something other than dirt. Imagine a walk-out basement with a window instead of a door and no stairs. As you might expect, it's not much of a view, but it's main purpose is to let heat out during the summer.

ANYWAY... a small rabbit, apparently curious and not heeding his mother's warnings (who is currently wandering around the backyard looking for him) has fallen into this ditch. It has been pawing at the window for the past few days, and for a while we didn't know what the sound was. Guesses ranged from a mouse to a snake, and everything in between, but we finally looked out and spotted the critter.

Now we have to get him out of there. I would hop down there with him and lift him myself, but its too small a space for me to crouch, and to deep for me to lie down over the edge, reach in, and grab him. Opening the window from down here is out of the question right now, as I'm fairly certain that the bunny will jump past me and run free in the house.

So I've got a plan that works in theory... I took a cardboard box, tossed in some lettuce poked a hole in one of its flaps, tied a string to it, and lowered it down. The other end of the string is sitting under a rock so it doesn't fall in. We're hoping that when he gets hungry enough he'll jump in and we can hoist him out.

...and right now my sister is telling me that the bunny is jumping on top of the box in an attempt to reach the ledge.

*ahem* I'm open to suggestions.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Put some more boxes in to make "stairs" for him?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Now I have to clean fresca off my screen.

heeheeheehee

I didn't have anything useful to add, but I like KQ's idea of stairs. Go for it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

kq: a stairway and/or a ramp are looking like the best options right now. I need to find some suitable objects, first... he can jump pretty high, it seems, so we won't need many steps.

Now he's back to pawing at the window again...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the catcher box needs to be bigger, so he can't get on top of it. Poor bunny! We're pulling for him!

Kudos, Cap'n!

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Put some boxes in, and then lay boards on top to make a simple ramp. I bet he'll go for it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
In the words of the immortal Mitch Hedberg, It's the cutest infestation ever.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be picturing your basement incorrectly, but in my mind's eye this makes sense: Why not open the window into a box or some sort of container that the rabbit can jump/fall/crawl into? If he's pawing at it so much, he'll probably go straight through if you open it, and then you can catch him. Would that work?
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

And as it turns out, I was wrong about one detail. There is a screen covering the window, so if I were to open it, I'd have to remove it before making any sort of rescue attempt. Probably would have to find a way keep the rabbit in one corner away from the window so that he doesn't jump through while I remove the screen and position the box.

Good suggestions [Big Grin] I'm taking notes. I'm going to try some of these tomorrow... it's dark now, so my bunny-catching skills are limited. Meanwhile, I need to find some planks... or some long pieces of cardboard...

--j_k

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, poor bunny! He must be terrified. [Frown]

Might there be a way to use teamwork and have one person hold the box right under the window while the other opens the screen, so he doesn't have a chance to run loose in the house?

Just make sure he doesn't starve to death in the meantime...that'd really make the view lousy. [Eek!]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the immortal Mitch Hedberg
That was the suckiest immortality ever.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Let the bunny in so he can hop over to your computer and read Bunny-based webcomics.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm we've had a rabbit population explosion where we live. I was told by the folks at Animal Aid that they don't trap rabbits because rabbits instictively don't enter boxes and the like.

It sounded like they knew what they were talking about, so you may want to concentrate on the ladder approach rather than the "box it and hoist it out" approach.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* Rabbits avoid boxes like the plague. They strongly dislike them; it'll take some real desperation -- perhaps coupled with starvation pangs -- to get him in there.

On the other hand, the "steps" idea is probably a pretty good one. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Some rabbits like boxes.
Try to lure him out with parsley. Mine loves parsley.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
How about hanging a burlap bag (or fishing net, or something else with a coarse texture) over the edge of the hole? IIRC, bunnies have strong claws, which must be sharp when they're young -- so maybe he culd climb up if he had some footholds.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

So, what happened with the bunny?

I want to know!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a skunk trapped like that once in the window well below our office. The custodians had thrown a few trash bags from the lunchroom in the window well and the skunk had gone in for a meal. We put the end of a board in the hole and the next morning he was gone.

However, the lazy union janitors making more money than we engineers and the smelly trash bags were not gone. Hmph.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

A day later, the bunny is still there.

In fact, now we have two.

*sigh*

We're working on getting boxes down there as steps. My little sister was squatting down there with a flashlight just now; I also think we have some netting we can use.

I might try laying the netting flat, tie some strings to it, and pull them up...

--j_k

[ September 10, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please put food and water for the bunny. If it's been 3 days they must be famished and dehydrated.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Nourishment won't be a problem-- anything they need I can drop down there.

So now they're nibbling on some lettuce right next to the window.

--j_k

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you just cut the screen and then replace it?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A day later, the bunny is still there.

In fact, now we have two.

*blink* That's faster than that usually happens.

----------

Let me point out that rabbits cannot subsist on iceberg lettuce, although iceberg lettuce CAN provide all the water they need.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. That is why Bernie gets Romaine lettuce instead.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest we eat him with taters instead. Did anyone jot down the reciepe from Sam?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Check Dags recipe site... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

w00t! We got 'em out-- after trying the stairway trick, we eventually just decided to try and corner one of them and get him to hop inside. They started hopping around and trying to get out as soon as they saw me, so it was easy to "catch" one, once we found a box that was the right size.

Thanks, all [Smile]

--j_k

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! You can cook them now!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*Growls*
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Fine Syn, you're invited to the feast too.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thought that Bob the Bobcat could have solved this problem quickly. [Evil]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*Growls over eating rabbits*
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't wild momma rabbits reject their young if they've had contact with humans? I know this was what I was always told... maybe my parents were just trying to keep me away from the babies.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to eat rabbit (and horse). I don't know where I could find if prepared, though.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I don't quite fathom eating horse. I want to eat rabbit, deer and buffalo though. Just like the native americans.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've eaten rabbit, deer, and buffalo.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH - perhaps a German restaurant? Hasenpfeffer is supposed to be excellent, although I've not yet tried it. My local favorite, Schnitzelplatz, doesn't serve it (or at least not yet...)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've eaten deer, buffalo, moose, and aligator.

Some critters that I haven't eaten but that I want to include elk, rabbit, horse, ostrich, dog, and guinie pig.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Hey, JTK! Tell us when a buffalo lands in that little death pit of yours!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Deer, buffalo, ostrich, goat, rattlesnake, and alligator here.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

The only "weird" thing I've eaten is eel, and that isn't even all that weird.

It's darn yummy, though.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Don't wild momma rabbits reject their young if they've had contact with humans? I know this was what I was always told... maybe my parents were just trying to keep me away from the babies.

Actually, they don't for some reason.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:

Actually, they don't for some reason.
Some human parents will reject their young if they have come into contact with rabbits. Those parents will often tell their children to stay away from rabbits. They make up the story about the rejecting rabbit parents as a cover-up for how easily they will reject their own children.

Just saying.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've eaten ostrich, goat, and alligator, too. And shark and reindeer. I've had elk, but I don't think I've had moose. No rattlesnake. I don't think I've eaten any kind of snake or bug. . . at least, no bugs on purpose.

I didn't care for rabbit, but I eat buffalo more often than beef. And the reindeer sausage was excellent.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Some human parents will reject their young if they have come into contact with rabbits. Those parents will often tell their children to stay away from rabbits. They make up the story about the rejecting rabbit parents as a cover-up for how easily they will reject their own children.

Just saying.

Tante, I think you've hit it on the head!!! Funny how now that I want to be rejected, I can't manage to break free.... [Razz]
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had rabbit a few times, and I have to say that it is the second grossest meat I've ever eaten. The very worst I've had is bear. Reading that passage in the Narnia books when the kids eat raw bear always makes me gag a little to imagine it.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
don't think I've eaten any kind of snake or bug. . . at least, no bugs on purpose.
Before you qualified that, I was thinking " I thought she rode a motorcycle...".

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hm. I quite liked rabbit meat.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it like?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've eaten bugs on purpose, but only ants. If you're going to try it I recommend the small brown ants, as they are very sweet. The bigger black ants have less of a flavor but are easier to feel walking around the inside of your mouth if you don't bite them right away. That's a pretty weird feeling.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.