FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Darmok game. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Darmok game.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In a previous thread people complained or applauded the Star Trek TNG episode Darmok. In that episode the Star Trek crew ran into a strange race that talked in metaphors. "Darmok and Jihlad at Tanagra" "Shaka when the walls fell" etc.

I don't want to get into the practicality of such a language.

I want us to make one.

Basically, the challenge is to take a common bit of communication and relay it as a metaphor.

example: Hello and welcome would be, "Patton at Bastogne"

Can you play the Darmok game, or does all of this leave you "Gilligan on the Isle". Create the metaphor. See if you will be "The Red Sox of 2004" or "Brown in the wake of Katrina".

I'll add some more later, or "McArthur leaving the Phillipines".

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Vizzini, when he drank from the goblet.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Spock, one eyebrow raised.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush, the day after Katrina.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Santa, his cheeks rosey.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is ::electing Bush in the first place::
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Franklin, when the lightning struck.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Archimedes, when he sat in the tub.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush, his Axis evil.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I think this is ::electing Bush in the first place::

How about: Bush, after the recount stopped.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I read Kwea's metaphor as meaning "a big mistake". I guess that underscores a major drawback of a metaphorical language. It's really hard to come up with a multitude of metaphors that are widely recognizeable and mean the same things to a wide variety of people.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

So why don't we define them after we give them so we can build a language.

quote:

"Patton at Bastogne"

"Ophelia to Hamlet in the hall, before her death"? "James Brown on stage".

"Cleopatra to Julius Ceasar near the Library of Alexandria"?

ie Stormship Troopers by Heinlien, "Sharon's Policy in Gaza"

ie Ender's Game by Card, "Lindbergh crossing the Altantic"

ie The Da Vinci Code, "The Professor on Gilligan's Island"

"Disneyworld Uncrowded".

"M*A*S*H on TV"

Dan Raven

TRANSLATION

quote:

Hello,

How are you? I feel good.

Have you read any good books lately? (Cleopatra gave Julius Ceasar thousands of books from the Library of Alexandria as part of her seduction/bribe)

I've read Stormship Troopers by Heinlien. People either love it or hate it.

I've read Enders Game by OSC. It is a great literary achievement.

I've read The Davinci Code by Dan Brown. I know there was a pretence of science and fact there somewhere, but it got lost in the contrived plot and pure fantasy.

Have fun.

I'll see you later.

Dan Raven.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Socrates glass raised.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Dan,

The beach shack on the shore.

(Translation: That was well-appreciated)

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So why don't we define them after we give them so we can build a language.
I'm not sure that's possible. You can "define" what a metaphor means in your language, but since it's a metaphor, it will mean different things to different people. Unless you force it to mean one thing, in which case it ceases to be a metaphor, and you are just creating new vocabulary words that are many times longer than the words we have now.

Ender, playing the game.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how such a language could ever result in true communication. Specifics could rarely be communicated, certainly not efficiently. Instead of using a single vocabulary word, you have to have a whole phrase for every concept. It is laughable that such a race could acheive the technology to build starships.

Bobit, when his wife was pissed.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<

Of course, the argument could be made that all language is really metaphor. Words like "love" mean something different to each person that says and hears it.

Alvin Sr., sending his son out to apprentice.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn: That was great!

I don't see this language as particularly practical either, but it was still a fun episode and by the end of it you know what a few of their metaphores mean.

I think if I had to speak such a language every day it would make me "Dean, his primary speech."

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, the argument could be made that all language is really metaphor. Words like "love" mean something different to each person that says and hears it.
Well, you have picked one of the most un-definable words in the language and from that extrapolated "all language is really metaphor". I don't buy it.

quote:
met·a·phor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt-fôr, -fr)
n.
1. A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare).
2. One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: “Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven” (Neal Gabler).

When we say "car" as in, "I bought a car this weekend", it isn't metaphor at all in the first sense cited above, and is in the second sense only insofar as it is a word at all. If you're using the second sense, there is very little difference between the sentences: "All language is metaphor" and "All language is composed of words."
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Technical language is *not* metaphor. Each word has a very specific meaning. And without technical language, we cannot have technology.

And even if other words have "softer" definitions, the use of a single word is still far less time-consuming than a phrase.

Israel conquering the Middianites.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Well, you have picked one of the most un-definable words in the language and from that extrapolated "all language is really metaphor". I don't buy it.
Well, I did say that "the argument could be made". I didn't say I was making it. [Razz]

I think that most language falls somewhere in the middle between precise technical language where each word has a specific, precise meaning and talking about love, a word that has so many meanings it is essentiall meaningless.

So while I don't think that what I said is absolutely true, I think there is truth to it, especially when talking about abstract concepts such as justice, truth, honor, good, evil, life, death, love, community, fairness, tolerance, progress, slavery, abuse, compassion, hope, worship, respect, etc..

Bobbit, falling asleep unsuspecting.
Bobbit, seaching frantically in the field.
Bottit, refusing to divorce afterward.

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton, not inhaling.

(trying to have it both ways. One group likes the fact you tried it, the other - if they buy it - likes that you didn't really "try" it.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is Frodo setting out on his journey and that it is unlikely Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France without ice skating judges at the Olympics (World. War. Two).

Having said that, although two missiles turning into a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias, it's not taking ponies to the South Pole (Chamberlain bargaining with Hitler) or Zephram Cochrane's ship in the real world. It's actually uncrowded Disneyland. At least the first part of Decarte's famous phrase.

New faces and places to Kaylee!

EDIT: You can all work this out for yourselves.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Teshi, that was the Qin Dynasty jade bowl at the Met.

(a rare thing of beauty, that is)

Teshi
Member # 5024

Roberto Bennini's Oscar Speech, Tante!

[Cry]

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I think that the issue with this kind of speech is two things:

One, it becomes excessively long and convoluted. Instead of one word, we have to say several. In a real world situation these would get whittled down to mean a single word. Instead of Romeo and Juliet on the balcony, we might say "Romeo". "Romeo" would therefore become our word for love. So the language would shrink down anyway.

The other way of dealing with such a language would be to have so many metaphors that you can describe an entire action, such as "going to the shop and buying some milk and eggs" in the same amount or fewer words ("Little old lady or Saturdays"). Such a language would have to have billions of metaphors in order to exist properly.

It's fun though, thinking up other ways of expressing yourself rather than using straight forward words! They should do this in English classes to get people to think about what they mean and how to say it in the most effective way possible.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Calivn, weirding language.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with this language is that to say the metaphors, you have nouns, verbs, prepositions and so forth. It may be that they passed through the linguistic phase at which we are and moved on to a language composed entirely of movie quotes. I feel like I've entered that zone sometimes.

A more productive exercise is how you define the phrase "5 is right out."

Aw hell, forgot where/who I was logged in.

"mothertree, blowing her 2000th landmark"

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin, playing ball.

[Wall Bash] GAME, people. It's a GAME.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Calvin playing not Ender playing, indeed.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Jarts (Lawn-Darts) in the circle. Data talking about humor. Jarts (Lawn Darts) in the eye.

(I tried to make a fun game. You folks take it much to seriously. Now it is to dangerous to play anymore.)

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot coffee at McDonald's.

(Danger in everyday things.)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hey, I think it is Disneyland uncrowded as well as the theory of relativity!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The more I hear the news, the more I feel we are Adam, donning a fig leaf. I hope we can one day become Joshua, when the walls fell.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Spock, seeing an alien form of energy never before encountered. Einstein, watching trains, or phrenology?

(Fascinating. Promising idea, or dead end?)

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

steven, trying to convince Hatrack to eat raw brains.
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Raphael Palmero and President Clinton, with fingers wagging.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by johnsonweed:
Raphael Palmero and President Clinton, with fingers wagging.

Love it!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Caesar, when he crossed the Rubicon.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The Swiss, discarding the quartz watch.
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

The Hulk, with greenness spreading.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Smeagol, with fish so juicy sweeeeeet!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

One thing I like about this is that some of the phrases hold a depth of meaning, a spectrum of innuendo and tone that could not be so easilly described by just a noun, verb, and adjective.

There is a difference of degree in these three:

"The poor in the land of plenty."
"The poor in New Orleans"
"The poor in New Orleans in the wake of Katrina."

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Caesar on "Bring Your Knife to Work Day"

(Perhaps I should have stayed home in bed...)

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Homer when the beer ran out.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Aristotle running from the bath.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Indeed, I am Homer pushing Edison's chair.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

johnsonweed when the Angels win. [Smile]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Nathan with tights in hand.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.