FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What program would you use to defrag a Windows NT computer?

Author Topic: What program would you use to defrag a Windows NT computer?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Preferably freeware, but definitely $50 or under. Would like to stay away from Symantec.

We have one NT machine in the lab for our tensile tester. The tensile test program only runs in NT 4.0. Have no desire to pay the thousand or so it would cost to upgrade the program to Windows 2000. My gut feel is that the computer is slowing down because it badly needs a defrag as it hasn't had one, ever. (3 years minimum...)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm well I've never used NT 4 (or any other "NT" branded version of Windows for that matter), so I can't really suggest a program. However, if you can't find anything you could (presumably) wipe the system and reinstall. This would probably help if it was slowing down for other reasons too, though I admit it's pretty extreme for defragging and should be avoided if possible.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The installation disks were lost, unfortunately. And our IT department doesn't support NT...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
hm well you can get it relativly cheeply on ebay

For example, $10 buyout for Windows NT Workstation 4.0. I'm not sure what version you have (Workstation, server, etc.), and as I said before, reinstalling is probably more trouble than it's worth (especially if you'd have to buy a new copy of the OS). Though it occurs to me that it may be a good idea to obtain a set of disks incase the computer dies and you need them suddenly.

EDIT: fixed the link. i used html instead of UBB code [Blushing]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Where's Tom Davidson and fugu when I need them? (though fugu is a mac geek)

I'll have to look at exactly what version it is. I just installed a usb extension cable so that I can back up critical data to a flash drive before I try anything. (The comptuer was in one of those annoying under desk boxes that only had slots for cords to run through and no direct access to the back)

I'm thinking I'll use the diskeeper free trial version.

AJ

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to list several, Diskeeper seems well respected:

http://www.sxlist.com/techref/os/win/winnts.htm

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Disk Keeper
I understand this to be a free 30 day trial of fully functioning software.

Edit: Fugu beat me to it.

Here is a review of several different defrag programs.
Utilities Software Comparison

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use diskeeper.. never had any issues with it and it was pretty fast... I remember hearing MS bought them and incorporated their NTFS defragmenter into XP, but that was a rumor...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The first one on that list is the only one capable of defragging the whole thing though, the others only do parts and can require multiple passes.

I have no idea how crutial that is, but one thing I know from experience is that you need at least 20% free space to defrag usually, ..but the first option, PerfectDisk 2000, only requires 5% free space...

That might be a issue with an older machine. [Big Grin]

Good luck!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....Okay, seriously, we're talking a NT4 machine. It would be far cheaper to buy a NT4 install disk and wipe the whole machine than it would be to buy a modern defrag software. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I understand that. Regardless of *what* I do I need to back up my data first.

My problem at the moment is that I can't back up the effing data that is *important*. Roughly 85Mb . I haven't been able to get the USB flash drive to work, I don't have a CD burner and I have no network access of any kind on this stupid machine. I have a 1.5mb floppy. That's it. I need some sort of USB flash driver that is compatible with NT and can fit on a floppy and doesn't require WinZip to execute, since winzip is unhappy on this machine as well.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

camus
Member # 8052

a zip disk might work if you can find someone that still has one
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Twelve step.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

yeah started on the zip disk thing
but went home, cause I couldn't deal with it anymore

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Computer not entirely happy but I'm able to back up to zip... waiting for it to finish at the moment.

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my co-workers was de-fragging his mother’s computer yesterday. She’d had it for years and never done it.

Which made me think – do people who sell computers ever tell buyers that they need to do this? I’ve never had a salesperson say anything to me about computer maintenance – virus checking, spyware checking, anything.

(Which made me wonder – what else might I be supposed to be doing to my computer that I don’t know about?)

Maybe a computer should come with a calendar of recommended maintenance, like a car -- defrag every x weeks, run adaware every 5,000 miles, etc.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anyone other than geeks who have even heard of defragging. Until I tell them, of course. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
dkw: Yeah, that's just silly that no one says these things... I mean, I saw someone's harddisk being 60% fragmented! [Eek!] I really have no idea what the guy did to get it at that percentage... Needless to say the computer wasn't working very smoothly.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOO HOOO!!!!!!
I set up the network protocols all by myself on an NT computer. Now I can download all appropriate windows updates direct rather than messnig with effing zip disks.

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

(first drive about 27% fragmented) I'm using this defragger because it was the only one that was happy with the way microshaft NT was currently installed.
http://www.oo-software.com/en/download/index.shtml

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

crap... the other drive is over 57% fragmented... no wonder there were problems!
camus
Member # 8052

glad you got things working
[Party]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

yeah there were times when I was kicking myself for being too stubborn to quit though. Hopefully we can upgrade everything soon.

AJ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.