FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Questions to Afghans

Author Topic: Questions to Afghans
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC ran a question and answer with members of an village in Afghanistan today. I thought it was very interesting...

Link

There are many questions, but here are the ones about America showing the wide difference of opinion.

quote:
Q: Do you have US military troops in your village and/or region and if so what kind of influence have they had on you and your villagers? Would you prefer not to have any US troops in Afghanistan?

A: I hate American troops in Afghanistan. They are pagans, non-Muslims. They should leave our country.

quote:
Q: What opinion do people in your village have about the United States government?

A: People have a good opinion about the American government. We are satisfied with the help of the US government. Still we are getting American government aid. To that extent we are satisfied. No one can ignore American government help.

quote:
Q: I am an American that does not always agree with my government. What do you think of us (the people)?

A: The Americans are a very good help. They have helped us in many ways. They are developed, they are educated, they serve their country. Negative point is that they like luxury. Too much luxury is bad. Luxury means womanising, drinking, partying. There is no place for such things in Islam.

quote:
Q: In my area many people have a stereotypical view of Afghanistan. They picture a desert and a few hovels. Of course this isn't true. What sort of stereotypes do the people of Afghanistan have of North Americans?

A: I think there are tall buildings, modern bazaars, lots of women on streets, gardens, mountains in America.

quote:
Q: I'm puzzled. What did US military troops do that you resented them so much? There are some US soldiers that are Muslims.

A: Americans feel that they are hated by Afghans. But we don't hate them. If you have any proof - please let me know. Only the al-Qaeda members are fighting Americans all over the world, not ordinary Muslims of Afghanistan.

Fascinating. Take a look.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was afraid this would be a dobie. "Why don't you cover my feet and my shoulders at the same time?"

I have to say I would be surprised if the female half of the Afghan population didn't universally feel better about life with the American occupation.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.