FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Great Hatrack Debates! v2.0

Author Topic: The Great Hatrack Debates! v2.0
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay by popular demand I will host the great Hatrack debates and moderate, (though only in name I'll ask PJ to do the dirty work). I'll select 9 anyomous judges after each debate by email and ask them to judge and decide the winner.

There will be 8 debaters and I want this to be down tournament style. The winner wins bragging rights for 10 years and Hatrack's love and respect ;p.

k, so here's the rules, post here if your interesting, you'll have about a week to write and research (or maybe 2 weeks) a responce.

The maximum length of a reply is 800 words (with a 100 word reserve) any editing is forbiddon and will result in the deletion of that post, you are to have a minimum of 3 sources listed at the bottom (sources do not count towards your word limit). You will avoid sniping, and ad hominen attacks, wikipedia is an ok source but please do not bring in evidence that is conspiratal in nature (with one slight exception but later...) The format will be both debaters get 1 opening statement each, 3 reply's each and 1 closing statement each.

Now I shall compile a list of topics.

Is World Government Practicle?

Will China become a democratic nation in the near future?

Will Russia ever return to a Soviet style system of control?

Will the United States collapse/ lose its position as the only super power?

And others there are, probly, so if anyone has any ideas please send them in.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
No

Depends on what you mean by democratic

No

Yes

I win!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm obviously right, and you're obviously wrong. If you weren't, then I would agree with you, but you can't be, because I don't. It's really not that difficult.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got bragging rights or the eternal love of Hatrack from the first debate. Then again, we never really declared a winner. Didn't Hobbes host the first debate?

9 judges, 8 debators, and you as moderator. Way to come up with an extremely complicated format for the debate. Along with the college essay style entry form. Sheesh, is this for fun, or for a class assignment we'll be graded on?

And -

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, you are so obviously out to lunch that I think you are arguing in bad faith. The truth is of course :

No

Yes

Yes

No

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

Plus a couple of those questions....well let's just say that they aren't the best options available. Perhaps you should come up with new questions and a less complicated debate, then you might spark some interest.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay by popular demand I will host the great Hatrack debates and moderate
I doubt it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

You are both wrong, the truth is quite clearly:

No

C

False

All of the Above

--ApostleRadio

digging_holes
Member # 6237

*grateful to mph for saying the nasty things I wish I could say without making them sound nasty... well, okay, for saying them anyway*
Parsimony
Member # 8140

I hear that, digger. I thought the same thing when I read it, and just didn't say it.

--ApostleRadio

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So.... I know those aren't the only topics, I just couldn't think of any at that time. If you want I'll simplfy it, to just 4 debaters, whcih will halve to 2 and then 1.

So Can I assume anyone who tried to answer wants to debate? I'm trying to establish soemthing serious here.

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Is World Government Practicle?

Only if someone can invent a much better version of bureaucracy and delegation.

Will China become a democratic nation in the near future? Will Russia ever return to a Soviet style system of control?

Predicting the future to this degree seems like a waste of effort.

Will the United States collapse/ lose its position as the only super power?

Yes. At some point. Empires always collapse, or are replaced by something different.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, that's cause I totally whipped you in that debate! [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

[spell-checking nazi]
I believe the correct spelling is "Practical", dear.
[/spellchecking nazi]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
d_h, I think he missed more than just that...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

I know, I just didn't want to be too nasty.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And here's the chance to proove it with additional possible topics!

Will the the world become divided into three super states like in 1984?

Will Judaism outlast all other religions?

Can the T-98 beat the Abrams?

Will we ever reach the stars?

Will the USA invade more countries?

Will there ever be a female president (not considering the assasination of both GWB and DCheney)?

digging_holes
Member # 6237

Just after we achieve warp drive and make first contact with Darth Vaderans.

It's well on its way, in any case.

Okay, I don't know what either of those things are.

Why would we want to do that? Those things are hot, we could burn our fingers.

I certainly hope so.

Will there ever be a female president (not considering the assasination of both GWB and DCheney)?

Oh dear...

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The T-98 is Chinese latest MBT (Main Battle Tank) and the Abrams is America's standard MBT since the first Gulf war. As for reaching the stars I mean colonizing other planets. Thus...

Is a form of Warp Drive Possible?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
When you ask a question with an absolute as a qualifier - Will there ever be a female president? - that's not gonna leave much to debate.

That's why you keep getting yes or no answers. That and the fact that this doesn't seem that well thought out.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

If you have a special effects budget, yeah. It was invented in the sixties and perfected in the eighties.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Lyr, that's cause I totally whipped you in that debate!
Bah! BAH!

It was a fun debate. I'll settle for a draw, since you are obviously too lost in fantasy to realize the truth. [Wink]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by digging_holes:
If you have a special effects budget, yeah. It was invented in the sixties and perfected in the eighties.

dh is teh win! [ROFL]
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 

Maybe. For a while. Anything is possible.

Um... duh. Yes, of course.

Depends. What's a T-98 and what's an Abrams?

I sure hope so.

Another duh. Unfortunately.

I didn't get this one. Next in line is the Speaker of the House of Representatives. That's Dennis Hastert, and unless he's had a sex change recently, you'd still have a guy in office.

Next after the speaker is the president pro tempore of the Senate, who is currently the apparently male Ted Stevens.

After that, of course, you get to Condi. But that's not going to happen.

In 2008, the presidential race is most likely going to be between Hilary Clinton (God help us), and Rudy Guiliani (yeah, you heard it here first, not that it's a major stretch). We can only hope and pray that Hilary doesn't win, but unfortunately, she has a decent chance.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think Guiliani would win the nomination if McCain ran. I'm not sure he'd win anyway. Before 9/11 he was extremely unpopular, with claims of corruption abounding. That kind of thing would be brought up again, and he couldn't whitewash it with 9/11.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I thought the line of succession in the case of assination of the president was the vpresident, then the Secretary of State (or whatever the position is called that Rice is)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No. President, VP, Speaker of the House, President Pro Temp of the Senate, then it starts at the SecState, SecDef, and continues on down the line, I believe in the order in which the office was created. Which would put SecTreas next.
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all wrong on the basis of TOPICALITY! You're so totally off topic! I win!

(every great debate ought to have a T argument.)

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onanism Thread
Member # 8525

- posted      Profile for Onanism Thread           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see who wins and is declared Master Debater.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.