FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Windows Problem

Author Topic: Windows Problem
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My router has a dynamic IP, so every few days or so I have to power cycle it so my computer will recognize the new IP. I did this yesterday and I didn't get my internet back. Now since my cable modem is connected to a router, and the router feeds both my computer and the tivo, this is no big deal either. I unplug the network cable for the tivo and power cycle again.

Still nothing. Now here's why it's a windows question and not a networking question: I try to run ipconfig/all to see what's going on with my modem, and I get an error message when doing run/cmd.

Something like: The NTVDM cpu encountered an error when doing what you said to do. Some long hex string. Close or Ignore buttons (both of which close the dos-prompt window.

What the heck happened, and how do I fix it?

Anyone?

EDIT: The machine is a P4 running Windows 2000 pro. I installed the new limewire last week, so I thought that might be the problem, but I went into safe mode and uninstalled is and it didn't make a difference. I've run spybot and adaware and I'm relatively clean. I also ran Trend Micro antivirus and came up OK.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My router has a dynamic IP, so every few days or so I have to power cycle it so my computer will recognize the new IP.

What? *blink* Why?

-------
If NTVDM handed you an error message when you attempted to run CMD, and if this is replicable, you're looking at a reinstall.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would've helped you, but I'm hopeless in networking. Sorry.

So I'm posting here just to wish you the best.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why. I just know that every 4-5 days the IP changes and it jacks my networking up, and power cycling fixes it.

Why is that relevant? And what the heck is NTDVM? That error message was the first time I've ever seen it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
NTVDM = NT Virtual Device Manager
It's the 16-bit virtual machine that runs within your 32-bit version of Windows and permits you to run 16-bit programs.

What I suspect is more likely is that you did NOT use CMD but instead used COMMAND. These are not the same program; COMMAND opens a 16-bit shell, whereas CMD opens a 32-bit shell.

It's possible that some error occurred within IPCONFIG as it was running inside the COMMAND shell that caused it to crash; when this happens, NTVDM crashes rather than bring down the machine.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just know that every 4-5 days the IP changes and it jacks my networking up, and power cycling fixes it
I've heard of this too. I use Remote Desktop Client to connect to the computer of a guy I work with. When I am unable to connect, he has to power cycle the modem (not the router), and then everything works again. He doesn't know why, just that his internet provider said he would probably have to do this once in a while. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
What I suspect is more likely is that you did NOT use CMD but instead used COMMAND. These are not the same program; COMMAND opens a 16-bit shell, whereas CMD opens a 32-bit shell.
No, I'm certain it was cmd. I know because I'm lazy, and that's what I always use (not that I knew there was a difference b/tw cmd and command).

quote:
It's possible that some error occurred within IPCONFIG as it was running inside the COMMAND shell that caused it to crash; when this happens, NTVDM crashes rather than bring down the machine.
I never got as far as ipconfig, it crashed when I entered CMD.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hrm. Okay, like I said, if CMD is giving you a NTVDM error, you're probably looking at an eventual reinstall.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That shouldn't be a problem. I think I have a 2000 pro disc somewhere. I was just wondering what caused this.

Thanks for your help.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the exact error that you are getting?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I don't know the exact error. You mean the long hex string? I didn't write it down, and it didn't give an error number. This is as close as I remember it (from above):
quote:
Something like: The NTVDM cpu encountered an error when doing what you said to do. Some long hex string. Close or Ignore buttons (both of which close the dos-prompt window.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Anyone have a solution without reinstalling, just in case I can't find the disc? I'm off of work in a few minutes, and I'm gonna work on this tonight.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic28561.html

Thread with your exact same problem, with a link to the microsoft knowledge base article on troubleshooting the ntvd with your problem here.

Here's the google search with lots of links to your problem.

Good luck.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.