FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A picture says it all, doesn't it? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A picture says it all, doesn't it?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what he was refering to.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I had cut half of it...and then forgot to paste it..so I fixed it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I was trying to avoid it
ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear   Email ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, my whole point was that you should have avoided the Bush bait. I apologize if the misunderstanging was my fault. I was just trying to say let the joke be the joke and leave it at that. That's all. I probably could have said it more politely, but politeness takes all the bite out of a post. Anyways, can't we agree to disagree respectfully in the future, please? [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

looking like this.

No problem, I actually agree with you...I really did think it was funny more because the fact that Snopes reported it true....sorta....than because it was Bush.

And reacting to Will's comments the way I did just makes it look like I had another motive.

Oh well, I have been here long enough to have some sort of unneeded argument at least a few times...I guess this should take care of the next six months or so. [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Anyways, can't we agree to disagree respectfully in the future, please.
Usually that is the way I prefer it. [Big Grin]

Hell, I prefer a debate, not a slam fest, and that is what I turned it into, or at least close to that than I meant to.

If everyone agreed with me I wouldn't even come here, I would be bored. That is part of what got me though...I hate it when people try to assign their own motives, even in reverse, to me.....particularly when they don't know me. It would have been different if the scorn had been less obvious, or if I wasn't having such a hard time IRL right nor, to be honest...

All I meant to say is that people in glass houses should not be throwing rocks.

Guess I got a little sidetracked, huh? [Wink] [Big Grin]

ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear   Email ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just feel special for getting into some sort of an argument with someone who's been around the 'rack for so long. No hard feelings from me. And good luck with everything IRL.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
people in glass houses should not be throwing rocks.

I'm not cliche-savvy and I've seen this saying used more than once on this forum. I'm not familiar with it. Haha, I guess I should understand it in context, but I just wanted to be 100 percent clear on it. I tried googling for it, and I couldn't find the definition. Could someone please clarify it's meaning for me? Thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear
Member # 8533

Basically you shouldn't criticize people when you have your own problems. If someone were to throw the "rock" back, you'd be in trouble. At least that's what I think it means. Makes sense.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Origin of phrase
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear:
Hey, I just feel special for getting into some sort of an argument with someone who's been around the 'rack for so long. No hard feelings from me. And good luck with everything IRL.

Thanks...it's not that things are going bad, just very hectic. I am moving, having MRI's doe to my back, and trying to find a place to live.....1200 miles away.

And I miss my wife, who is already down there working at Disney. [Frown]

Not a big deal, but thanks anyway. [Big Grin]

BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the definition, I think I understand it better now. The image that kept coming to mind was someone throwing stones from inside the glass house and breaking their own house down, so the analogy wasn't working for me. I guess that's why all my english teachers always told me to never use a cliche in essays, especially argumentative ones, since that could confuse the reader or not help support the argument at all if the reader is not familiar with it.

So it means that a person should not attack other people when they are at a low in their life because there will likely be a counterattack that the person could potentially not handle, right?

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Correct. It implies that they are every bit as vuneralble to attack as the people they are complaining about, particularily when they are guilty of teh same sort of behaviors.

Hence my rant about an apparent lack of family values within the Bush family, even though most of that happened years ago.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's funny.

No, you shouldn't have to defend yourself for finding it funny.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.