FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just saw the freakiest online ad...now with link!

Author Topic: I just saw the freakiest online ad...now with link!
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of those banner ads for mortgage refinancing, where all of the states are listed. This one had each state represented by a baby sitting up wearing only a diaper, with the state's code written on the diaper. When I hovered the cursor over a baby (completely by accident the first time) it bounced up and down and waved its arms. But the arms kept moving in slow motion when the cursor was removed. Passing the cursor over the banner ad a few times led to half the babies waving their arms in slow motion. And they blink big, black eyes as they move. I'm not sure why this freaked me out so much, but it did. *shudder*

What's the freakiest or just plain weird ad you've ever seen?

--Mel

[ September 17, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: theCrowsWife ]

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope...I haven't actually SEEN it at this pont, have I? [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, that's just not fair, ya know? You tell us about this potentially funny, possibly even hilarious site, and you don't post a link.

I think I'm gonna go pout now.

*pouts*
*sticks out tongue at CrowsWife*
*pouts some more*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
*joins quidscribis and pouts, waiting for the link.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Eduardo, how ya doing?

*continues to pout*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
It was an ad in Opera, therefore no link. I did a desultory google search for the ad with no luck. I'll go see if I can do better.

[EDIT: I just realized that it wasn't an Opera ad, but one in Hotmail. Still impossible to link to, though]

--Mel

[ September 17, 2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: theCrowsWife ]

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Well, I couldn't find a link to it on the web. The best I could do was a screenshot. The blue baby is the one with the cursor over it. The others are swaying, blinking and waving their arms slowly.

--Mel

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Okay, that reminds me of Chucky. [Eek!] Nightmares, anyone?
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm well, Quid. Teaching 7th-10th grade is hard everywhere in the world. But I dig it ;-)
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I searched through the source code for the Hotmail page and managed to find a link for the ad in all its interactive glory. Enjoy.

Freaky baby banner ad

EDIT: it seems to cycle through the available ads. I guess it was just happenstance that when I tested it I actually got the baby ad. Well, I'll leave the link up anyhow, maybe people will get lucky.

--Mel

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
WTF is it with this ad? OMG, its so freakin creepy!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much every banner ad from Lowermybills.com is freaky and weird.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Agreed.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
What's weird about it is that the babies turn BLUE as they wave their arms, so it looks like they're choking or sick or something. Ugh.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I saw it on this post, I'd never seen that ad before. But now it came up like five times in the past few minutes!

And those babies are creepy!! [Eek!]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I hit that link 10 times and never saw it.

Good work. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. That's kinda creepy. (I had to refresh 93 times before I got the right ad, though. [Mad] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

93 times? [Eek!]

At what point would you have stopped if it never came up?

--Mel

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
You kept count?? I have no idea how many times it took for it to show up for me - I'd guess around 30. But I didn't even think of counting!
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
"Come use our services! Your babies will asphyxiate!"

Very effective ad.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
What's weird about it is that the babies turn BLUE as they wave their arms, so it looks like they're choking or sick or something. Ugh.

[ROFL]
I thought something like that too.
Although I must say that I only refreshed ONCE before I saw the lord of all creepiness.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You kept count?? I have no idea how many times it took for it to show up for me - I'd guess around 30. But I didn't even think of counting!
Yeah, that's kind of like a thing with me. When I start doing something like refreshing a page, I start counting. I just do. I always count stairs, too.

I would have stopped at 100 if I'd not seen it by then. Then I would have re-clicked the link and started over, probably.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Arg! I've refreshed it more than KQ and I have not seen it yet. I've seen Netflix like a billion times thogh. I give up, I'm going to play WOW.
[Grumble]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at that link, I found another creepy ad. Did anyone esle see the one from classmates.com, where is has a few yearbook pics on it? The eyes move. It's very creepy.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
A marketing agency somewhere just made 100 bucks or more...
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, if you saw my last post in here I tried soooo many times to get these creepy babies to appear. I came back in and said "What the heck I'll try 1 more time."
Got them 1st try.
They are very [Angst]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Just bringing up the ads shouldn't be making any money for Hotmail, although it might be screwing up Hotmail's statistics *evil grin*. Now if people are clicking on the actual ads, that's a different story...

--Mel

Kwea
Member # 2199

I got that ad right away this time. [Big Grin]

weird.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.