FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Hate My Religious Education (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I Hate My Religious Education
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:
quote:
The Bible says "the sons of Israel". Not "the sons of God".
The MT says sons of Israel. Who's to say that that text as we have of the MT today is the original, most accurate?

If anything, in accordance with your scenario, it seems like the MT may have been the one with the white out - two other versions (both significantly older than the MT manuscripts we have) match much more closely to each other than to the MT.

Can you definitively say the MT isn't the whited-out version? This is what it being claimed, that the Deuteronomists (or other reformers) didn't like the polythestic implications, so they 'tweaked' it for 'clarification', for the 'greater good'.

Much like your atheist Haggadah.

That's nuts. According to the bizarre theory of Deuteronomy having been created in the days of Josiah, it's one thing that wasn't built out of earlier materials. This theory you're supporting isn't even internally consistent.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's nuts. According to the bizarre theory of Deuteronomy having been created in the days of Josiah, it's one thing that wasn't built out of earlier materials. This theory you're supporting isn't even internally consistent.
So you think there's only one theory concerning the tweaking of Deuteronomy in this era? Perhaps you should do a little more research before making another outright statement that simply isn't true.

You seem to be a very big fan of using straw men arguments, blasting away 'facts' and statements that I have never even proposed in this thread. You present a modern story of some people who whited out a copy of the scriptures, and use this as evidence that all non-MT version of the scriptures must be intentionally apostacy-inducingly false.

I can tell you're an intelligent person who is very well read.

But you're doing your education a misservice in the way you're handling this discussion.

There just seems to be an anger and a flippancy in your posts - and I don't mean just in this thread. Am I misreading that?

[ September 25, 2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that text as we have of the MT today
Which one? For my latest paper I handed out to school in Machshevet Yisra'el I used the MT, but not th Vilna version, rather the version the Yemenites had, which is full of Rambam's annotations.

And damnit, if you could write down a book with such span in the way he wrote it - you'll be my new mortal deity. [Smile]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.