FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "t" in "often" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The "t" in "often"
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who is noticing the rapid growth of the off-tin pronunciation being used in the media? It's driving me up the wall.

Do they say liss-tin, or whiss-til?

The "t" is silent, people!

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not silent when I say it.

But then, comfortable and vegetable often have four sylables when I speak.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Languages change. Clearly, the t didn't use to be silent. *shrug* Not that I listen to any form of audible media often *g* enough to notice.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
It's not silent when I say it.

But then, comfortable and vegetable often have four sylables when I speak.

(He's a Utahan, folks, so cut him some slack.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't say the t. We need some IPA in here, stat.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. The website for IPA is actually very interesting. *returns to site*
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
From Dictionary.com
quote:
Usage Note: During the 15th century English experienced a widespread loss of certain consonant sounds within consonant clusters, as the (d) in handsome and handkerchief, the (p) in consumption and raspberry, and the (t) in chestnut and often. In this way the consonant clusters were simplified and made easier to articulate. With the rise of public education and literacy and, consequently, people's awareness of spelling in the 19th century, sounds that had become silent sometimes were restored, as is the case with the t in often, which is now frequently pronounced. In other similar words, such as soften and listen, the t generally remains silent.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never dropped the "t." m-w.com lists both pronunciations.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Both pronunciations are valid.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't say the "t" in soften, often, listen.

And "vegetables" has four syllables when I say it -- VEH-jeh-tubbles.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:hums 'Orphan Boy,' from Pirates of Penzance:
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Vegables, no?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Jewlery irks me, too. It's jewelry, dangit.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't say the t in listen, but I think I do in often. Then again, I go off of what I heard growing up, so *shrugs* Blame my teachers.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(He's a Utahan, folks, so cut him some slack.)
No I'm not.

Neither were my parents, nor their parents.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
What amuses me is that the people from the Pittsburgh area cannot pronounce an "l" at the end of a word. It gets turned into an "lw" with a mostly "w" sound. So my husband pronounces "owl" and "ow" nearly identically. Both of his parents are the same way.

At any rate, there are a lot of regional dialects. As long as we understand each other, why does it matter?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Brazilians do the exact same thing. "Brasil" sounds an awful lot like "Brasiw".
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind regional dialects too much. What I dislike is when people with a heavy accent speak really fast. I find myself having to constantly ask them to repeat themselves, and I'm not hard of hearing or anything. Speak a little slower and I may understand the first time.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

And Febyuary.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've found it's a lot easier to get through life if you don't let others' pronunciation bother you so much.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

quote:
The "t" is silent, people!
quote:
And Febyuary
[ROFL]

So, you're upset that people are pronouncing a "t" you think should be silent, and not pronouncing an "r" that you think shouldn't be silent?

[Dont Know]

All you're really saying is that people who don't talk like you are annoying.

--Mel

kojabu
Member # 8042

You know, that's a lesson that I think my Mario playing friends should learn. Half the time it comes out of my mouth Merio, I don't know why.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention, folks, that it is REE-al-tor, not REEL-a-ter. If it is your profession, you should know how to say it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most the time I prounounce the "t" in often. I might leave it off occasionally, but not offin. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
My all time pet peeve, when "ask" is pronounced "aks".
Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
(No energy for Phonemic script.)

Of-en, vej-ta-bl, cah-sl, cumf-teh-bl, feb-u-ry, jan-u-ry, ras-bry (occasionally ras-be-ry), hang-ker-chief.

That's my way.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I say "offen", but if the "t" were pronounced in it by a British person, it wouldn't bother me at all. But to me it sounds pretentious in an American accent.

I used to say "in-ter-est-ing" all the time instead of "in-tris-ting", which was pointed out to me as unusual. I've gotten lazy with that one. And my best friend teases me for lightly pronouncing the "th" in "clothes" - he firmly contends that it's meant to be pronounced "close". I disagree. [No No]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else find I and l confusing when in sans serif, or whatever this font is? In case you didn't know, that was a capital i and a lowercase L.

I'm so clueless that it took me a while to realize that theCrowsWife was talking about words ending in L, not words ending in i. I even looked at her examples, not realizing they were examples but thinking they were evidence of yet another pronunciation oddity.

Silly me.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
And my best friend teases me for lightly pronouncing the "th" in "clothes" - he firmly contends that it's meant to be pronounced "close". I disagree. [No No]

Meant to be? That's sort of hard to argue. It's not like someone invented the word and decided how everyone should pronounce it. The dictionary shows that his pronunciation is more common, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I pronounce clothes more like cloze. Close makes me think of the soft s sound at the end, but I suppose it can also be pronounced like cloze. So never mind... [Smile]

I think in-ter-est-ing when I spell it out, and it's gotten to the point where I don't know what is the correct way to pronounce it.

I have a similar problem with words like incidentally. I don't know if I'm supposed to spell it incidently or incidentally--and I don't know exactly how I'm supposed to pronounce it either. I'm sure I used to. But I forgot.

I used to pronounce across like acrosst, until a friend of mine made a point about how much that annoyed him. (I wasn't the only one who did it.) So I broke myself of the habit and dropped the t.

I pronounce often as ofTen. I didn't know I had the option of pronouncing it offen. It sounds a little weird to me.

When I was a kid, I thought chaos was pronounced Chah-ose (Ch as in cherry) for years as a kid. I was an avid reader, so I came into contact with the word while reading way before I heard it (or rather before I heard it and realized what it was) out loud. And it was even longer before I learned what the word even meant. [Smile] Somewhere around watching Jurassic Park.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
And my best friend teases me for lightly pronouncing the "th" in "clothes" - he firmly contends that it's meant to be pronounced "close". I disagree. [No No]

Meant to be? That's sort of hard to argue. It's not like someone invented the word and decided how everyone should pronounce it. The dictionary shows that his pronunciation is more common, though.
Yep. He asserts that I am wrong. I, in turn, assert that he's being an idiot. This tends to be brought up when we have nothing better to argue about. We have a very loving relationship. [Wink]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
I pronounce clothes more like cloze.

Actually, that's what I really meant - "close" as in "close the door," not "close together". I'm just not used to writing phonetically. [Smile]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

quote:
I'm so clueless that it took me a while to realize that theCrowsWife was talking about words ending in L, not words ending in i. I even looked at her examples, not realizing they were examples but thinking they were evidence of yet another pronunciation oddity.

Heh. After I posted it, I wondered if that would be a problem. But then I thought, "Surely the examples will make it clear..."

It is difficult talking about phonetics without using the phonetic alphabet. But I'm too lazy to go look up codes for the special characters.

--Mel

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
I pronounce clothes more like cloze. Close makes me think of the soft s sound at the end, but I suppose it can also be pronounced like cloze. So never mind... [Smile]

You want to hear something really mind-blowing? In linguistics, s is hard and z is soft. In other words, vocal cord vibration = soft, no vibration = hard.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what really bugs me in the media in the last decade is the fact that the only journalists anyone seems to hire these days all have speech impediments.

It drives me crazy to hear them all pronounce "str" words shtr. String. Not shtring. Christ, they all sound like Andy Gibb. I blame him for it and that stupid Puppet on a Shtring song of his. [Mad]

Shtreet. Shtrong. It's driving me mad. Or, in my case, it already drove me mad!

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
COUPON- How did anyone get the pronuciation to be
que.pon?

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Ah. Cool. Hard s, then. [Smile]

As for tv journalists, many of the women annoy me because they all sound like they have phlegm in their throats and have to swallow. Another way to describe it would be that they all have marbles on their tongues. I say just the women because I've never noticed this from a male tv journalist.

Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve always said often, and it never occurred to me to not pronounce the t.

Regional differences in pronunciation are always something that gets argued about (light heartedly) when groups from different areas get together. I don’t know if you have as many regional variations as we do (UK), but with strong dialects English can become like different languages.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

You want to hear something really mind-blowing? In linguistics, s is hard and z is soft. In other words, vocal cord vibration = soft, no vibration = hard.
I'm used to "voiced" and "unvoiced" being used.
Lisa
Member # 8384

My partner pronounces "drawing" as "draw-ring". She's from Boston. It drives me up the wall.

Pahk the cah at Hahvahd Yahd is fine. But "drawring"? <shudder>

Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
oh oh oh

Nuclear

(new-clee-ar)
NOT
(new-que-lar)

Mispronunciation of this sends me into FITS. I can't watch Presidential addresses. If I could spit venom at the TV when they say this, I would.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
All tv news presenters should have clipped BBC accents and dark suits. It would make the world a happier place.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
I'm used to "voiced" and "unvoiced" being used.

Those are the more technical terms, and they are more often used within the linguistic community. Hard and soft are layman's terms. They're more likely to be seen in a dictionary pronunciation guide and things of that nature.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All you're really saying is that people who don't talk like you are annoying.
Seems to me that accent-based prejudice (which I am not accusing anyone here of) is strong precisely because it isn't recognized.

I relate. Some things sound affected to me, and thus annoying. But they aren't really affected; they're just how people talk. But, being a Southerner, I know how people pre-judge based on accents, and say, "I have no accent," which means, "I talk the way I talk, and everyone else should do the same."

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay can be confusing with the i-L business. I added in my dictionary that it is occasionally mistaken to be "eijay" (e, i & j being capitals, of course).
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:

In my head, that seems like it should be the other way around, ie, hard = vibration, soft = no vibration. But I'll just stick with voiced/unvoiced for now.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

And I don't think I really have an accent. It's not realy Aussie of any of the thre kinds, not RP, not Ireland, not Yorkshire, DEFINITELY not Kiwi nor SA. Poms think I'm a local, Aussies know I'm Aussie, Israelis know I'm no American, Americans think I'm English, people from London think I'm from Oxford and people from Oxford think I'm from London. South-Africans can detect I'm not English but can't really tell I'm Aussie.

I'm a soft type of centralised Home-County with Aussie affection.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I agree, kojabu. It made no sense to me at first, either. I believe the reasoning is that vowels are soft and consonants are hard, so a consonant that is voiced is softer because it is more vowel-like.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
From Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition (Unabridged)

quote:
often (ofen) see note below

Note below reads: The pronunciation often, until recently considered as more or less illiterate, is not uncommon among the educated in some sections, and is often used in singing.

I say ofen. Always. What really bothers me about this is that I find people overpronouncing the t as if to point out to people that don't pronounce it that they're wrong. And more recently, I've heard people doing the same thing with WeDnesday.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I say WeDnesday when I'm being silly, but only then. What I really don't like is when you say something to someone one way and they repronounce the word back to you and overemphasize the change. I was working in a DQ and someone asked what yogurt flavors we had. I replied Strawberry and Butter PeCAHN. They said back, I'll have a Butter PeCAN, like the way I said it was wrong.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.