FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "t" in "often" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The "t" in "often"
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I replied Strawberry and Butter PeCAHN. They said back, I'll have a Butter PeCAN, like the way I said it was wrong.
Yeah, that would be irksome.

I think Porter had a grade-school teacher who treated him like an idiot for not pronouncing it "peCAN".

To me, that would be like a teacher getting on my case for saying "creek" instead of "crik".

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no "right" way to say pecan, though. Linky
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Pee can is an acceptable pronunciation, but it's regional. I have a hard time saying picahn, but then again, I Mahm, and Tahm, instead of Mom and Tom. I also say wou-ter (like the ou in your) instead of wah-ter. And that's because my best friend was from Virginia and she pronounced it that way.

My worst accents indicators are on mahm and tahm though and that's a Chicago things. Or upper mid-west in general.

And people who say they don't have an accent, are the people from the mid-west. The whole non-accent you hear on TV is the no accent of this country. That's my opinion anyway. (And not the hick, country mid-west, but suburban mid-west.)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Is there a right and a wrong way to say "creek" then? Is that just a matter of regionality?

I have a problem with someone telling me that my regional way of pronouncing is "wrong".

Of course, I pronounce warm to rhyme with arm, farm, charm, smarm, and alarm. Makes perfect sense to me, but apparently the dictionary disagrees.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I really don't like is when you say something to someone one way and they repronounce the word back to you and overemphasize the change.
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. But there are other ways of emphasizing it. One woman I know always looks me straight in the eye and nods her head when she says "ofTen." As if to remind me that she is aware of my "mispronunciation" and is making an effort to correct me. (She also insists that writing in the passive voice is always more "professional" than using any sort of personal pronoun)
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, I give warm more of a woarm type pronunciation.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to hard'n'soft business, there are a few thoughts regarding Hebrew.

In Temani pronunciation, a hard gimmel is "j" as in "Jon" but a soft one is "g" as in "gamble". What one can learn from parallelism is that the "original" hard sound of gimmel is "g" as in "gamble" (unvoiced "k") and that the soft "g" was a "gh" sound, like a voiced version of plat (sp?)-Deutsch "ch"; by that I mean the soft, "h"-similar sound, not the trilling "kh" like the Hebrew "Chet".

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
She also insists that writing in the passive voice is always more "professional" than using any sort of personal pronoun.
Wow, I've always been told not to use passive voice, like ever.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I guess it is supposed to be pronounced like "form". I can't think of any other words that truly rhyme with it, though. Though "war" is an example of the "ar" being pronounced that way. I certainly don't pronounce "war" to rhyme with "star, far, bar, mar, tar, par, jar, car, and Lieutenenat Yar." [Wink]

English don't make no sense.

kojabu
Member # 8042

You got that right bev!

We really need fewer vowels.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
Wow, I've always been told not to use passive voice, like ever.

Good for you. Don't let anyone corrupt you.
quote:
We really need fewer vowels.
Or a larger alphabet and a phonetic spelling system.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh I never said I was good at not using passive voice, but I try.
beverly
Member # 6246

I try to always point out to my children (well my son, since he is the only one really old enough) how bizarre and weird and rule-breaking English is so that he will appreciate the differences between languages. I see so many ignorant children/adults balk at the rule-breaking or bizarre rules in other languages. It makes me laugh.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

There are times when it's normal and good to use the passive voice. Too many people, especially in the business world, think that everything should be passive. It's just like Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes said: "I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!"
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
(He's a Utahan, folks, so cut him some slack.)
No I'm not.

Neither were my parents, nor their parents.

*adjusts Porter's sarcasmometer*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
Pee can is an acceptable pronunciation, but it's regional. I have a hard time saying picahn, but then again, I Mahm, and Tahm, instead of Mom and Tom.

I'm from Chicago, too. How else would you pronounce Mom and Tom? To me, it rhymes with bomb and calm and psalm and cd-rom.

I always laugh when people pronounce the second vowel in Chicago as shi-KAH-go. I say shi-KAW-go. And BAW-ston; not BAH-ston.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Is that baw that rhymes with raw?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
She also insists that writing in the passive voice is always more "professional" than using any sort of personal pronoun

<blink> If she tells you that you should use the passive voice, ask her if she doesn't mean that the passive voice should be used.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Warm rhymes with form, and dorm, and such. Clearly, "Worm" is already taken and it sounds like "Werm", or I suppose "Wirm" and "Wyrm". EDIT: Oh, and Wurm, too.

Anything but "Worm".

I love the way English makes no sense! Am I the only one?

Also, what exactly is the passive voice?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Instead of saying something like

I ate the apple.

passive voice would say

The apple was eaten by me.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I've done this one before, but what do the following words have in common?

Buy
Catch
Fight
Seek
Teach
Think
Wreak

Teshi
Member # 5024

kojabu: Isn't that rather the long way around of saying something?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

It shifts the object/subject.

Linky

Teshi
Member # 5024

Wow, I use it whenever I feel like it, depending on the sentence. I think.

Eh.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<blink> If she tells you that you should use the passive voice, ask her if she doesn't mean that the passive voice should be used.
I'm not sure she knows what the passive voice is. It's just that she insists that we should never use personal pronouns, and all the examples she gives are in the passive voice.

i.e. Instead of "I observed the student," we're supposed to say "The student was observed."

But yeah, I should try that somehow.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I was told never to use "I" in a formal essay, e.g. "I think that..." or "In this essay I shall examine..." I think that what was probably what your teacher was getting at.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
starLisa, I'm thinking you pronounce Mom more like mawm than mahm. It's kind of hard to explain. It's more of a back of the throat/nasal kind of thing. But listen to Joan Cusak talk. It's like that. For a lot of the words, you don't notice, but then every once in a while, bam.

You know, rereading your response, I'm not sure how you say any of those words. Since I say them all the same, and I don't know which way you say them, I can't figure it out.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:

Buy
Catch
Fight
Seek
Teach
Think
Wreak

Their past tense all rhymes. [Smile]
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an engineer, and we never used first person in technical writing (i.e., "I calibrated the meter and we measured the flow."); passive voice is practically all that's left to work with. ("The flow was measured with a GX-K84 volumetric meter...")
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My worst accents indicators are on mahm and tahm though and that's a Chicago things.

Hm. How else would you pronounce "Mom" and "Tom?"

They rhyme with "bomb" and "prom," right?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a difference between the typical American pronunciation and the Canadian pronunciation (and apparently Chicago, too). I don't remember the technical language to describe it because I was never very good at vowels, but think of trying to pronounce something between "mom" and "mam" and you'll get pretty close to the way Canadians and people from Chicago would pronounce it. That's true of all of the words with the "ah" sound I believe.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I say "off-tin", and I also say "Add-dress" instead of "Ajress".
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
I was told never to use "I" in a formal essay, e.g. "I think that..." or "In this essay I shall examine..." I think that what was probably what your teacher was getting at.
No, this was for our personal observation journal. We wrote observation reports separately. And she wasn't my teacher.

"This is not a diary, it's a professional journal." She also says don't use "he" or "she" when referring to a student. It's always "the student." To refer to ourselves we use "the teacher." This is especially confusing when you're observing another teacher. Then it's "the observing teacher" and the "classroom teacher." Before I was certified it was "the teacher candidate."

Still, all of her examples (that I can remember) were in the passive voice. And some of them were ridiculously convoluted. But it was "professional."

By the way, I don't object to the passive voice when it makes sense. I think it's just as bad to say "NEVER use the passive voice." But I've seen engineers use it to the point of the ridiculous also. You just have to read what you've written and see if it's understandable.

BTW, Irregardless: My previous career was in industrial gases. I wrote a lot of reports and memos on calibrating flows.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
quote:

Buy
Catch
Fight
Seek
Teach
Think
Wreak

Their past tense all rhymes. [Smile]
Not wreak. Its past tense is wreaked, not wrought. See the usage note.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
There's a difference between the typical American pronunciation and the Canadian pronunciation (and apparently Chicago, too). I don't remember the technical language to describe it because I was never very good at vowels, but think of trying to pronounce something between "mom" and "mam" and you'll get pretty close to the way Canadians and people from Chicago would pronounce it. That's true of all of the words with the "ah" sound I believe.

--Mel

It sounds like you're referring to the Northern Cities Shift. But according to everything I've read, it's not happening in Canada. It stretches from Syracuse, New York, to Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
I always laugh when people pronounce the second vowel in Chicago as shi-KAH-go. I say shi-KAW-go.

Then you would probably laugh at the entire population of Chicago. Maybe you should tell them they're pronouncing the name of their city wrong.

Seriously, would you laugh at an Englishman for pronouncing something different? What about an Australian? How about someone who didn't speak English as their first language? What makes a regional accent within the United States different from a regional account from without the United States?

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you check a dictionary the "t" in often is supposed to be silent. The change began with Princess Di, who pronounced it that way all the time and it's grown from there.

Note: this is not to say anything derogatory about Princess Di. Also, I am sure that there are many other people who pronounced it that way, but at the time, she was the famous person who did.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
BTW, Irregardless: My previous career was in industrial gases. I wrote a lot of reports and memos on calibrating flows.

You didn't just say "irregardless", did you?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
I always laugh when people pronounce the second vowel in Chicago as shi-KAH-go. I say shi-KAW-go.

Then you would probably laugh at the entire population of Chicago. Maybe you should tell them they're pronouncing the name of their city wrong.
You must not know many Chicagoans. Most of us actually do pronounce it shi-KAW-go. It's other people who aren't from here who more often say shi-KAH-go. Some of them even pronounce Florida as FLAHR-da.

quote:
Seriously, would you laugh at an Englishman for pronouncing something different? What about an Australian? How about someone who didn't speak English as their first language? What makes a regional accent within the United States different from a regional account from without the United States?

<shrug> I didn't say I laughed out loud. That'd be rude.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
Yes, I was addressing the poster whose username is Irregardless.

I recently ran into an interesting thing about "irregardless" (the word, not the person). If you read "Li'l Abner" comics from the 1950's, you'll see that Al Capp used the word "irregardless" as an indication of Li'l Abner's (and other characters) lack of education. He used it a lot, so I have to wonder how much that contributed to today's usage of the word.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
[Blushing]

My bad.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

I recently ran into an interesting thing about "irregardless" (the word, not the person). If you read "Li'l Abner" comics from the 1950's, you'll see that Al Capp used the word "irregardless" as an indication of Li'l Abner's (and other characters) lack of education. He used it a lot, so I have to wonder how much that contributed to today's usage of the word.

Pop culture can do things like that. I heard a story that the pronounciation of Caribbean that sounds like ke-RIH-bee-in came about because there was a popular song that mentioned the Caribbean, and in order to fit the rhythm of the song, the singer changed the pronunciation.

Normalcy, which used to be normality, apparently came into existence in a presidential speech ("a return to normalcy"). Nowadays, the word normality is rarely used outside of chemistry.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

--Mel

It sounds like you're referring to the Northern Cities Shift. But according to everything I've read, it's not happening in Canada. It stretches from Syracuse, New York, to Minneapolis, Minnesota.
*shrug* It was a Canadian professor who told me that Canadians do that. Unless I'm remembering him wrong. That's certainly possible; it's been a few years since I took that class.

Linguistics is fun, but I was always better at syntax than phonetics/phonology.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
You must not know many Chicagoans. Most of us actually do pronounce it shi-KAW-go. It's other people who aren't from here who more often say shi-KAH-go. Some of them even pronounce Florida as FLAHR-da.

All the Chicagoans I've known (which, granted, is not very many) have pronounced it with the aforementioned Northern Cities Shift, so it either has the vowel in hot or is slightly further forward, about halfway between hot and hat.
Teshi
Member # 5024

There's is definately a certain amount of "a" in the word "Mom" as pronounced in Ontario, at least...

"Mahm", basically, as opposed to using the more narrow and closed-mouth "Mom" sound.

I'm sure there are plenty of dialects all over the world that pronounce the "t" and the Princess Diana wasn't the first person to do it. In fact since the "t" is there it probably was put there for a reason.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Normalcy, which used to be normality, apparently came into existence in a presidential speech ("a return to normalcy"). Nowadays, the word normality is rarely used outside of chemistry.

It wasn't coined by a president, but it appears to have been popularized by one. But it's not really accurate to say that it "used to be" normality. Normality precedes normalcy by only about a decade, according to the OED.
quote:
*shrug* It was a Canadian professor who told me that Canadians do that. Unless I'm remembering him wrong. That's certainly possible; it's been a few years since I took that class.

Interesting. I don't know enough Canadians to say if he's right or not, unfortunately. Most of the Canadians I know are from Alberta, and they don't have very strong accents. I do know a girl from Ontario, and I've never heard that vowel shift from her or her brothers. Hmm.

Of course, it could be that it's only recently started to spread into Canada, so the surveys and data I've seen aren't current enough to show that.

Edit: Aha! That's interesting, Teshi. Now if you could just post some sound clips of yourself so I could actually hear it . . .

Teshi
Member # 5024

I would, but I have no sound recording facilities. Also, I may be wrong about the sound, but all the time I've been around in Canada it's been "mahm" and "bahmb" etc.

I'll try and describe the sound. It's not a bright sound, it's a dark "ah", like an opera singer singing on the vowel "a". Like the sound in "farm" only without the "r".

You might want to ask another Canadian, too.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

That description sounds exactly like the standard, non-shifted a sound. I think the difference you're noticing is that in North America, this sound is pronounced without rounding the lips at all, while in Britain, it is pronounced with rounded lips. Lip-rounding enhances the backness of a sound, so an unrounded vowel will sound a little brighter.

Here's a vowel chart. In Britain, mom and bomb are pronounced with an open back rounded vowel (bottom right corner). In North America it's open back unrounded (to the left of that). In the Northern Cities Shift, it's closer to open front unrounded (bottom left corner). The vowels in cat and hat are near-open front unrounded.

[ September 21, 2005, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah- so it's not bright enough to be this shifted vowel. It feels bright to me, because I am going from the British "bomb" sound (Mom is usually Mum so it's not a good example).

I think it's certainly approaching such a "a" sound though, in some people's accents.

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the word film?

I used to work at a photo lab and it was surprising to me how many people pronounced it fill 'em.

Also, I don't pronounce the 't' in often.

Albertans have accents. Especially those from southern Alberta. It is just that their accent is a U.S. accent. They sound a lot like the people I know from Washington State.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.