FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » JetBlue plane in landing trouble

Author Topic: JetBlue plane in landing trouble
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Landing gear frozen

Hmm, Adam, didn't we just discuss these guys the other night?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They're down safely! Everyone will be evacuated using stairs to reduce the risk of injuries from going down chutes. [Smile]

(I've been watching it live.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
They have a telecommuting base in SLC, that books all their tickets. I applied about 18 months ago but was turned down. I flew on one of their earlier flights, when it was just SLC to Kennedy.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, so this would be a flight on the same route I flew the other week. Quite possibly the very same plane. *small gulp*

I'm glad everyone is safe.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

- posted      Profile for Salah   Email Salah         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good thing that they shut off all the TV sets on the plane, I guess so passengers would not be able to see what was going on by looking at CNN, or FOX. That's one way to freak people out- by seeing how serious their situation is on national news.

I wonder if how loud the tire flames sounded from inside the plane.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

- posted      Profile for Salah   Email Salah         Edit/Delete Post 
Um.. I meant I WONDER HOW...
Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
:whew:
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to mention that that pilot did the most excellent job possible of bringing the front gear down slowly and gently, which prevented the landing gear from snapping. It was the best possible landing (since the gear did not untwist as they had hoped it might.) It was really impressive to watch. I'm sure you all can catch it on the news tonight.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
It was really interesting to see this while riding on another JetBlue Airbus A320 flying across the country. I kid you not.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's a good thing that they shut off all the TV sets on the plane,
But I guess they didn't. Because the passengers they interviewed on the news today talked about watching their own emergency on the on-board TVs and how it made it all seem so surreal.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the articles says they didn't switch it off until the last minute.

I'd love to hear what the mood was like in the plane for the three hours they were circling... Obviously they were frightened and tense, but do you think that being able to watch developments unfold on CNN made it harder or easier for them to handle? I think people in our society tend to like to have as much information available as possible, and the choice between watching your own disaster play out on CNN or sitting in the cabin without anything but the occasional update from the captain would be an interesting one...

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, from what they said this morning -- the only really bad part of watching themselves on the news was hearing all the commentators talk about worse-case scenarios.... like using the words "fireballs" and "big explosion" and all possibilities.

I wonder, if the newscasters had known the passengers were listening, if they would have possibly changed what they were saying a little. (I didn't see any of this on TV, so I don't know what all was said).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, leaving the passengers themselves out of it, I wonder if it might not have been better to cover this differently (or even keep it off the news, which I know is impossible) until it was resolved.

Those passengers had family and friends on the ground. Who, it could be argued, might have been better off not knowing there was a problem until after the plane had made it to the ground.

I like knowing things too. But sometimes a little information is a dangerous thing . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike! Long time no see! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was watching Fox, and they were actually doing a pretty good job of keeping away from worst-case scenarios and reassuring everyone that it was a good thing that they'd had three hours to prepare for it, and that in all likelyhood the best-case scenario would happen because they had an experienced pilot flying. (They were talking to a pilot "consultant" in the few minutes beforehand who did an awfully good job of dispelling horrifying terror scenarios when someone tried to bring them up and explaining what was happening and what was going to happen.) And they all had the grace to stop talking in the few seconds that everyone was holding their breath for a safe landing (although one of the commentators, apparently not realizing that he was audible, was "talking them down" under his breath-- "Easy... Gentle... That's it!" and the mic picked it up. It actually left me with a good impression of their news team, because I was doing the same thing, albeit in my head.)

I don't usually watch Fox News, btw, but I was trying to watch King of the Hill. [Wink]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
(They were talking to a pilot "consultant" in the few minutes beforehand who did an awfully good job of dispelling horrifying terror scenarios when someone tried to bring them up and explaining what was happening and what was going to happen.)

On the local coverage here in Fresno (who stuck with it until the landing as well) also had a pilot consulting - 747 pilot, as I recall - and while he mentioned that there were things that could go wrong, he spend most of his time explaining that landings with nosegear problems most often have a positive outcome and that he expected that given what he knew about the situation that this one would come out all right, too.

Some things that stood out to me in the aftermath of the situation:

The pilot was quoted afterward as saying to L.A.'s mayor that he really didn't do that good a job on the landing because he was six inches off the center line. [Eek!]

One of the passengers, who said he'd experienced rougher landings on flights with no problems at all.

The cat riding in one passenger's carry-on bag that slept through the whole thing.

The problem landing gear, which aside from the melted tires didn't look to have moved even an inch during the landing despite its being dragged down the runway at speed. Pretty good engineering and construction, if you ask me.

Edit: for problem found by the department of redundancy department. [Wink]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.