FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NOT COOL! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NOT COOL!
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Giant spider in my kitchen! Somehow managed to get its web attached to me! Couldn't get it off! Flailed around like a madwoman!

Think it's gone now. Not sure.

[Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY SPIDERS IN THIS CITY?!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
ha ha. Was it the giant red ones that plague San Diego? I HATE THOSE AND WISH THEY WERE DEAD. YEAH, I WISH SOMEONE WAS DEAD. THAT SOMEONE IS A SPIDER.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
SPIDERS STINK!! We don't need 'em. Just get rid of every spider in the world and replace them with lizards! They eat bugs too, and they are cute.
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream (nightmare?) last night that I caught a black widow in my son's doorway.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a sympathy shiver. I feel your pain. Spiders are just nasty! *shivers again*
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now I'm going to hide all the tarantulas from you people. And possibly get them therapy.

I've yet to kill a spider intentionally... not even the black widows. Though I have drowned a few in the sink by accident. And lizards are so overrated...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Spiders are not so bad...
It's those FLY LARVAE I HATE.
Dang it I hate those creatures.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Synth. I HATE bugs. Flies are the bane of my existence. And mosquitos. Spiders EAT flies and mosquitos, so as far as I'm concerned, they're on the same team as I am.

Never tried lizards yet -- I'll have to look into that. I think as a team we might be able to diversify some . . . [Smile]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
There also seem to be a lot of flies in Chicago. I can't figure it out.

It was one of those big black spiders...they're everywhere up here! I was waiting out on the porch for a pizza one night and suddenly realized that I was utterly surrounded by them...there were gobs and gobs of webs all over the porch ceiling!

Lizards are much, much cooler. I like them. Yay, lizards!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*note to self: never go to Chicago... EVER*

I hate spiders... mostly cause I hate anything with venom. Scares the shite out of me. I mean I understand that they don't target humans, and they eat other pesky bugs. But what if one of them just happened to get pissed at me and bite me? Like if I accidentially stuck my foot into his web? Gives me the willies.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Spider bite pictures.

quote:
These pictures are of the damage done by a bite of the brown recluse spider over a period of 10 days. These are not for the faint of heart to view as they are quite graphic.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother got a brown recluse spider bite. It was quite unpleasant to look at.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Some bugs i like. Praying mantises, butterflies, beetles.
It's flies and wasps I hate and baby flies. Nasty things. Make me itch.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
*Sees the first 4 pics*

Oh, that's not so bad. What an overblown warning!

*Scrolls down, sees last 2 pics*
[Eek!] [Angst] Ick!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Almost all brown recluse spider bites heal nicely in two to three months without medical treatment at all.

TWO OR THREE MONTHS??????

That's supposed to be REASSURING???????

OMFSM!

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Daddy Longleggs spiders. Of course that's only 'cause their jaws are too small to bite humans. Otherwise they'd be really dangerous considering they're some of the most poisonous spiders in the world.

I am an arachnophobe(sp?). Imagine being a summer camp counsellor where there are of course tons of spiders, and you discover that the best way to calm down kids who are freaking out is to pick one up and introduce your friend "George". [Angst]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Daddy longlegs are not spiders, they're insects. Furthermore, there's no evidence whatsoever they're very poisonous, and a fair bit they're not at all.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Actually, the spiders part, depends on what kind of Daddy long-legs you are talking about. There is more than one you know.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I like spiders myself. Well... as long as they aren't ON me. Then it's icky. But I like a couple house spiders around...they keep the really bad bugs away. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in college I had an apartment that was infested with brown recluses. Well, that attic room that I slept in was, at any rate. The only time I was bitten by one was on my chest. It looked like I had a third nipple for a couple of months, but there was no necrotizing of tissue or anything.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a story on CBS news (I think) a week or so ago about the overabundance of spiders this year. And no you're not imagining it, there really are way more than normal. Bottom line was the lack of rain we've had this year has helped them to survive.

Ah Found the linky!!! http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_256225035.html

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That spider will probably have its revenge for destroying its home by lowering itself down a webby line into your softly snoring mouth while you sleep.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
From whiskysunrise's link:
quote:
If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done.
Heehee. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

*decides she can't take any more talk about spiders*

*runs away*

BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:

It's those FLY LARVAE I HATE.

I had a bad experience with fly larvae, too!!!

I've never minded the spiders themselves, but I do get creeped out when I get caught in spider webs.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It's especially bad when they wrap you all up in their sticky cords and sting you and you wake up sick and upside down with not enough airholes to breath properly and then they jiggle the web when they come to check on you and see how you're getting along. <nausea smilie>

But if you can get a hand free, get hold of a couple of rocks and bean them with them. Oh and call them Addercop (which no spider likes) and Tomnoddy (which, of course, is insulting to anybody).

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
From whiskysunrise's link:
quote:
If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done.
Heehee. [Smile]
Not to mention PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Arachnids)
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it the Giant Green Spider from South Park?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
It's especially bad when they wrap you all up in their sticky cords and sting you and you wake up sick and upside down with not enough airholes to breath properly and then they jiggle the web when they come to check on you and see how you're getting along. <nausea smilie>

But if you can get a hand free, get hold of a couple of rocks and bean them with them. Oh and call them Addercop (which no spider likes) and Tomnoddy (which, of course, is insulting to anybody).

[Big Grin] Charming! It took me a couple lines to realize you weren't serious. I was trying to remember any reference in my life to someone waking up with strands of spider web all over them. *shudders*
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
A woman my dad worked with got a Brown Recluse bite on her toe... did much the same thing as that pic, adn the had to amputate her toe... BUT she had some other chronic condition with compromised her immune system.

Make sense?

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Now ya done did it. Ya scared up some spiders which pounce to feed on human blood
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa that's creepy. So if spiders who build webs don't need good eyesight, why do they have 8 eyes?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:

I AM GOING TO DREAM ABOUT THIS TONIGHT!!!!! [Eek!]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Yep, Rabbit, and your statement matches that of the talk from the NationalHurricaneCenter experts. Which is why I used "might" in:
If not, HurricaneWilma might follow the same path as HurricaneStan did.

Guess I should have italicized might for more emphasis.

However, as I stated before on this thread, the NHC has been predicting a more northerly path than has occurred from each point recorded on Wilma's actual storm track.

ie Wilma has been squirrelly in movement when compared to the NHC predictions. So I'm more willing to offer possibilities which differ from the NHC predictions for consideration by others.

Hurricanes = spiders now? Who knew? [Dont Know]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Yep, Rabbit, and your statement matches that of the talk from the NationalHurricaneCenter experts. Which is why I used "might" in:
If not, HurricaneWilma might follow the same path as HurricaneStan did.

Guess I should have italicized might for more emphasis.

However, as I stated before on this thread, the NHC has been predicting a more northerly path than has occurred from each point recorded on Wilma's actual storm track.

ie Wilma has been squirrelly in movement when compared to the NHC predictions. So I'm more willing to offer possibilities which differ from the NHC predictions for consideration by others.

Huh? [Dont Know]
aspectre
Member # 2222

Sorry. I wasn't fast enough in deleting a message meant for another thread.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who really loves spiders? I spent an hour today just sitting and watching a truly gigantic scribbler sitting in her web.

Yesterday I saw a big wolf spider being attacked by fire ants.

The day before, I watched said scribbler wrapping a cricket before setting it in her web.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Nope. Not only do I consider spiders to be intrinsicly cool, but I find nearly all of them to be cute or pretty.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
. . .

*takes deep breath*

Have you ever . . . erm . . . baby-talked to them?

You know:

"Oo's a cute ickle spider, den? Is oo a cute ickle spider? Yes oo is!"

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

No, but I do think of wolf spiders as cute in a WinnieThePooh kinda way. Up to and including thinking -- and saying if another person is around to hear -- "That's a really cute spider."
Perhaps it's because it feels like wolf spiders are actually looking at me when I've had to pick them up to take outside; whereas most other spiders just seem to be aware that a big thing is in their environment, if even that much.

Kinda like the feeling of acknowlegement of fellow critterhood one gets from having a preying mantis follow ones movements.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A Tarantula Story
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
I spent an hour today just sitting and watching a truly gigantic scribbler sitting in her web.

Yesterday I saw a big wolf spider being attacked by fire ants.

The day before, I watched said scribbler wrapping a cricket before setting it in her web.

It sounds like you lead a very productive life.
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Daddy long legs can bite, and they are not (too) venomous.

Gotta love mythbusters

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, Daddy long legs can bite, and they are not (too) venomous.

Gotta love mythbusters

That actually depends on what you mean by daddy long legs. There are daddy long leg spiders, which means basically any spider with long legs, a rather large group actually, but most of them can bite, but aren't poisonous. Some of these spiders are called cellar spiders in other places.

Then there are these other arachnids (order opiliones; sometimes called harvest men) which are related to spiders, but 1) have only one apparent body segment 2) 8 extremely long legs and 3)no venom glands. They usually eat bugs that are already dead, various fungi (mold/mushrooms), plant detritus (rotting leaves), and some smaller mites and insects like aphids using their small clamping jaws, but they don't bite people. These are what I usually refer to as daddy long legs.

Also apparently some confused people call crane flies daddy long legs. They're just wrong. And crane flies, while big, and sometimes startling when they fly at your face, are completely harmless, unless you choke on it.

I am indifferent to spiders. I used to hold them all the time, then one day I was walking under a tree and a spider fell on my hand. I was startled so I looked at it, instead of flinging it off immediately I turned my hand so I could see it better. I was in the process of looking at it, when the blasted thing bit me! I stared at it in shock for a moment that it had the audacity to bite me when I outmassed it by a million times, but it had. I could have crushed it, but I didn't want guts all over my hands so I just flicked out into the grass. I figure it was provoked. Since then, I usually handle spiders using a sheet of paper or a plastic container, rather than holding them in my hand. For the record the spider bite was less irritating than a mosquito bite, I was just shocked that it would do that.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Hah!!! I get bitten at least twice a year by ladybugs. Without the slightest provocation!
And I've never even heard of anyone else ever being bitten by one.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the things with six legs which are commonly called (and only called, in my area) daddy long legs?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hah!!! I get bitten at least twice a year by ladybugs. Without the slightest provocation!
And I've never even heard of anyone else ever being bitten by one.

I didn't even realize they COULD bite. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, I don't have a clue what you mean.

Mack, I dont think real ladybugs (like the red and black ones) can bite, but the evil orange and yellowish ones that have taken over indiana can bite.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Spiders are our friends. There is one living in my car. It has been there for about two weeks now. I named him Peter, but I call him Petey.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.