FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NOT COOL! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NOT COOL!
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Once, I was driving a loaner car home from Orlando while my parents' was in the shop, and spiders started crawling up the inside of the winshield. Lots of them.

After nearly running the car off the road, I managed to pull into a gas station, where I then called my parents screaming and crying.

Spiders are evil.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante Schvester:
quote:
It sounds like you lead a very productive life.
Of course. What's more productive than watching spiders? I'd say I learn a good deal more than I would watching TV or the like.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A regular Henry David Thoreau, you are.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn straight I am. I also find time to reread Ender's Game. And get on Hatrack. I don't think Thoreau had Internet access, now did he?

[Big Grin] At least I'm perfectly content with life.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently my feeling about wolf/jumping spider awareness has been confirmed in at least one species:
Portia...makes a living by eating other spiders...a risky business at the best...Luckily Portia has brains.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, even though I'm the youngest, I'm the designated "spider-killer" in my household...

I didn't know ladybugs bite!!!

edited for bad grammar

[ June 03, 2007, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ladybugs bite. I've been bitten by one before. It's not bad, but it's definitely noticeable. Like being stuck with a pin.

I thought the Mythbusters did the Daddy longlegs myth and if I'm remembering it correctly, the provoked one until it bit Adam. He said he could feel it, but it didn't really hurt much and they're definitely not poisonous to humans.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Really? I love Mythbusters, but I've never seen that episode. I've always believed that Daddy long-leg spiders are severely poisonous. I thought I could spot old-wives'-tales pretty well...

I guess not.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Just reading this thread creeps me out. I HATE spiders.

It is good to know daddy longleg spiders aren't deadly. We have a ton of them around here.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Daddy longlegs are extremely poisonous, but their fangs are too small to inject enough venom into a human being to harm them. Just don't pick one up and eat it. [Razz]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Either you haven't actually read this thread or you have an interesting sense of humor. Either way, I'm rather amused.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avadaru:
Daddy longlegs are extremely poisonous, but their fangs are too small to inject enough venom into a human being to harm them. Just don't pick one up and eat it. [Razz]

Actually, that's an old wive's tale. From the Wiki article, referencing the Mythbuster experiment:

quote:
After measuring the spider's fangs at approximately ¼ mm (average human skin thickness is about 0.10 mm) the show's host was apparently bitten, although the bite produced little more than a mild short-lived burning sensation. This appears to confirm the suspicion that pholcids can penetrate human skin, but that their venom is practically harmless to humans. Additionally, recent research has shown that pholcid venom is actually relatively weak in its effects on insects as well.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I'm allergic and swell up when they bite me. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i also second the motion that spiders might possibly be the devil. Those, and roaches.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine had one living in her car for several weeks and then it got stuck in the dash so she drove to an auto body shop so she could release it.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] I hate spiders. What makes it worse is that there are a lot of black widows near where I live, and when I was raking out the pool house I felt my shoulder brush against a web. I turn around and I was face to face with a fairly large black widow. Not fun.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with joldo. Not that they dont give me the willies on occasion, but I can't stop watching spiders. If I find one that I'm supposed to squish I generally grab a paper cup and set it free in the back yard. More likely than not it will become a tasty snack for my cat, but perhaps it will contribute to keeping my backyard free of annoying flies and such.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I hate ants more than spiders. There is nothing quite like the feeling of buy a lot of food and finding it all infested with ants soon after...
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avadaru:

Hey, Av, where ya been?

Good to see you.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zarex:
Actually, Daddy long legs can bite, and they are not (too) venomous.

Gotta love mythbusters

I was just thinking of that episode... Didn't they set Adam or somebody down in a tank full of them or something?

Fugu, those are the Daddy Long Leggers as I know them. They have a tiny, red, spherical body, with six really long legs (Or is it 8). To my understanding they are insects (Not if they have 8 legs, though). They also kind of stink.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. And Spiders are tied with wasps. Wasps are horrible. I heard a rumor (It may or may not be true), that wasps only sting you in your pores, and when you inhale, your pores close, so if you inhale when you see or feel a wasp land on you, you won't get stung, and you'll have time to smack it off of you.

Yikes. That, I think, was the longest sentence I've ever written.

Sorry. Bunny trails, and all that.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out looking at my pretty purple coneflowers today, and there was a nasty white spider sitting on the cone. It looked a lot like this. But didn't have those purple stripes on the side.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

I like purple cone-flowers.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a running nightmare a couple of weeks ago that ran for a couple of weeks. Every night, I'd dream that a huge spider - body an inch or two in diameter with legs another couple or so inches long (and yes, we do have spiders that big in our house - ick!) - got under our mosquito net on my side of the bed.

Of course, I woke up, freaking out, and grabbed the flashlight and look for it (we keep it on our headboard). Not there. No spider anywhere.

Every single time, I woke up Fahim, but every morning, except one, he denied that I'd woken him up. Lucky him, he didn't totally wake up.

Finally, one day, Fahim lets a huge spider - the same size as the one in my nightmare - out of our bedroom. (Yes, he refuses to kill them.)

No more nightmares since.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh, weird, a subliminal message sort of running nightmare!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
big ol' spider

ew ew ew ew

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
now that i think about it, there was this one time when i found a funny spoof on a spider documentary and told pH it was on my myspace page. she wouldnt view it cuz she said she absolutely hated spiders and wouldnt watch it.

umm, for anyone brave enough, here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p2HipedgM3I

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fugu, those are the Daddy Long Leggers as I know them. They have a tiny, red, spherical body, with six really long legs (Or is it 8). To my understanding they are insects (Not if they have 8 legs, though). They also kind of stink.
You may have found the problem. In the Western US a Daddy Long Legs spider is a "Harvester Spider". They are generally grey, a small shperical body and "count them" eight really long legs. There is no noticable odor
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another kind of daddy long legs?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I hate ants more than spiders. There is nothing quite like the feeling of buy a lot of food and finding it all infested with ants soon after...

Last summer we were having a wave of infestations (it reminded me of Lost Boys. *shudders*) At one point we had flies, then ants, and as fast as we'd kill them they'd reproduce. So one day we came upon ants eating maggots in our trash cans. I'm about to barf just thinking about it.

Eeew.

Then there was the time we found a black widow in the living room-- just as the cat and the baby were both trying to eat it...

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
There's another kind of daddy long legs?

I believe there are three or four distinct species, some of which are insects and some arachnids, which are commonly referred to as "daddy long legs."

Next we can talk about "bluebirds."

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw what was probably some sort of wolf spider today that was huge! She was bigger than any spider I've seen since leaving Arizona. I had a great time watching her and all her tiny babies that were riding along. So did my toddler, although it was difficult keeping her from "petting" the spider.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.