FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OMG- Look at this Child Abuse Case in Pittsburgh

Author Topic: OMG- Look at this Child Abuse Case in Pittsburgh
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (AP) - A seven-year-old boy was at the center of a Alleghany County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him. After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the University of Pittsburgh Panthers Football Team, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago I heard a similar story about the New York Yankees. Ah, the good old days.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this real? Link?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Is this just one of those chain emails? I would say it's pretty tasteless if someone made it up.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it's made up
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that the mere mention of the Pitt Panthers makes it automatically unfunny.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
because of the subject matter, is this considered and anti-joke?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's hysterical.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an old joke. I must of heard it 20 years ago.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
As the final authority in such matters, I declare that this joke is, indeed, funny.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a very old joke, but it's still entertaining. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow….. I was reading thinking no one got the joke. Glad it got better as it went along. West Virginia University’s arch nemesis is the University of Pittsburgh. The game is called the backyard brawl and is always intense. Oh and in case you don’t know Pitt is 0-3 so far this year.

I never thought it would offend anyone and I apologize for that, but I guess every joke offends somebody. Just thought something a little lighter might be good since things have been so heavy lately.

I know when I first read it I was thinking wow, poor kid. It was on a sport’s message board and I didn’t think it really fit as I was reading it. Then when I got to the punch line I literally laughed out loud. Think I startled my office mate a bit.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I chuckled. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard the joke before, so I read the case in horror. When I reached the end, I was shocked that it just a stupid joke.

Sorry to be a spoilsport, because I usually love dark and crazy humor, but I didn't like this.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely heard this one years ago about the Chicago Bears. Could be said about pretty much any Chicago sports team, though.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.