FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Two Truths and a Lie (a game) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Two Truths and a Lie (a game)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am suspicious about the sofas, but I think it will turn out to be literally true -- maybe some are miniatures?

I don't believe the cat's name.

And I want to hear the story about the ladies' room. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the ladies' room is the lie.

If it is true I would like to hear the story.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's the cat's name
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka and breyerchic are right!

I went into the wrong restroom at the airport. I discovered my error when I heard voices from another stall... and I waited for everyone to leave, but it didn't happen... so I had to leave while there was a line outside! I put my jacket over my face and walked out as quickly as I could. Whew.

I have 7 sofas. 2 are futon-type, but they're sofas. Why doesn't everyone else have 7 sofas?

If I had a cat, I'd name it "Meowzilla"!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
I have 7 sofas. 2 are futon-type, but they're sofas. Why doesn't everyone else have 7 sofas?

Floorspace?

As for the cat name . . . that's just cruel.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of buying "Magic Street", I went from public library to public library in three counties, reading a little from the book in each one.

I graduated from college with a double major in Biology and Sociology in only three years.

I once went to the wrong person's funeral.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Is it an unfair advantage if I think I know because of IRL conversations?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card bought me dinner at P. F. Changs.

I was married inside the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

My photo has appeared on the front page of the Fort Lauderdale News Sun-Sentinel.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I think Tante's second statement is the lie.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the delay. The powerbook is the lie. I have an iBook. [Smile]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

Icky's right! I didn't graduate with a double major in Biology and Sociology in three years.

It was a double major in English and Psychology in three years.

But it is true about Magic Street and about going to the wrong person's funeral.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Orson Scott Card bought me dinner at P. F. Changs.

Gee, he never treats ME to dinner...

I was married inside the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

Nah. You seem more like an EPCOT kind of guy.

My photo has appeared on the front page of the Fort Lauderdale News Sun-Sentinel.

What was the photo caption?

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

Icky's right! I didn't graduate with a double major in Biology and Sociology in three years.

It was a double major in English and Psychology in three years.

But it is true about Magic Street and about going to the wrong person's funeral.

I knew that. [Big Grin]

And I think Ic's lie is the first. I think OSC did buy him dinner, but not at that restaurant.

Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, mine are:

quote:
- Every day of my sophomore year of high school, I slept for at least 16 hours.
This is trivially true; I was never a sophomore of high school, so saying I did something every day of that year is using a universal quantifier over an empty set.

quote:
- When I returned home from my weeklong honeymoon, I was still a virgin
Also true. My wife and I were using Natural Family Planning (NFP) for birth control and she was fertile during our honeymoon.

quote:
- Bill Gates invited me over to his house once and served hot dogs for dinner.
False! Bill Gates did invite me over to his house (along with several other Microsoft interns when I was an intern there), but he served hamburgers. They were pretty good burgers, admittedly.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's cheating to have the lie be a truth with a minor detail changed. If you are going to lie, lie spectacularly to see if you can get away with it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, I think the front page of the Fort Lauderdale paper is a lie.

Because I'm really feeling it right now, I'm gonna say that your picture has been in the paper, just not front page.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Icky got married at Disney, there's no other way, he practically lives there too.

Likely he's been on the cover for acting, or teaching, or being cuban, or spending too much time at disney.

So I'm guessing that either he paid for dinner, or it wasn't at PF Chang's.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

OSC never treated me to dinner, or had dinner with me in any way. I was not yet a Hatracker when I met him. It was all a spectacular lie.

[Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

So, what was the photo caption?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I will try it:

I have had malaria.

I am related to Albert Schweitzer.

One of my relatives signed the Declaration of Independance.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I don't believe that you are related to Albert Schweitzer.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
EAGERLY AWAITING: Joe and Lisa Iriarte sit in the room they have set up for their future child. The Iriartes are trying to adopt a child through adoption Web sites. (Staff photo/Warren Zinn)

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Icky, that means the photo was about 5 years ago, or are you trying again?

Kwea, I doubt you have a relative who signed the declaration of Indipendance, you wouldn't lie about having malaria (though I don't remember reading it)

Icarus
Member # 3162

That photo was six or seven years ago.

The article was a human interest piece on the trend of using the internet to place special needs kids. We were the introduction and the conclusion, and in between they interviewed a lot of adoption people and children's advocates, weighing in pro and con on the use of the internet in this way. I was kind of surprised to see it on the front page, though.

It was an interesting learning experience in how the media works. As soon as the article came out, we were contacted by TV stations wanting to do their own versions of the same article. The newspaper article was balanced and thoughtful. The TV pieces were invariably sensationalistic and got things wrong. It was interesting to see how "legwork," if you work for the TV news, consists of reading the paper.

[Big Grin]

GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Albert one is the lie.

I'll go again:

My dad has brown eyes, yet my 2 little brothers, older sister, and me all have green or blue eyes.

My grandfather was a multi-millionaire in Iran, but lost it all when people found out he was Jewish.

My 9-year old twin brothers were both born premature and dangerously underweight and now they each weigh more than me, and I'm 15.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't believe the one about your grandfather.
rivka
Member # 4859

Mm. I do. I know other people who had similar things happen there.

I suspect that while Jaime's brothers were indeed underweight preemies, they do not yet outweigh him.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yeah. The twins may weigh more than him combined, but each one? Nah.
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, me next.

I am adopted.

I have a dog who is in the Guiness Book of World Records for his age.

I dropped out of high school because I was failing which was a direct consequence of reading books all day.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*guesses that Treason is not adopted*
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Treason, your dog isn't in the guineess book of world reccords, well if he is I'm going out and getting a new copy, that's the only section I read.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] The game at work was today. They completely guessed my lie - I'm still not sure how. I did sort of stumble when they questioned me about it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, it just goes to show what a fundamentally honest person you are. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Any other guesses?

Joe? [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not related to Albert Schweitzer.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

Icarus had it right. Teh grandfather one wasn't true. My brothers are both very big for their age and I'm extremely skinny. It's true.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Very good breyerchic, but you cheated!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I didn't really cheat, my copy is from 1996, but I thought it was a pretty good guess.
Treason
Member # 7587

Well, my dog is 17 but that is probably not Guiness material.
[Big Grin]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

No I think the guiness record is about 40, I know it was some sort of coonhound named old billie. And I petsat a 17 year old Cairn Terrier this summer [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

and my mom just said she used to work with a 21 year old dauchsand (she used to be a vet tech)
Treason
Member # 7587

WOW! If only my Ricky will be around so long.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I never taught biohazard classes, I wasn't a biologist there, just a keypuncher. I kept the records for the bio suites though. [Big Grin]

Charles Carroll (sp?) signed the DoI and he was related to my fathers side of the family, and AS was related to me through my grandmas family, although I think it was by marriage.

[Big Grin] See? [Big Grin]

GaalD
Member # 6222

"I never taught biohazard classes, I wasn't a biologist there, just a keypuncher. I kept the records for the bio suites though. [Big Grin]"

I thought the options were:

"I have had malaria.

I am related to Albert Schweitzer.

One of my relatives signed the Declaration of Independance."

Doesn't say anything about teaching a biohazard class. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

rivka
Member # 4859

Also [Confused]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Perhaps he lied about one of them being the lie?
ThePygmalionEffect
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for ThePygmalionEffect   Email ThePygmalionEffect         Edit/Delete Post 
Sup everyone, I'm new here, so no one will know which one is the lie, but I'll give it a try anyhow just for fun.

1) One of my distant relatives invented basketball

2) OSC agreed to look over the first 3 pages of my novel and give me advice.

3) I got to hang out with and help Tool (the band) put their equipment away after a big show

Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hi Pyg! [Wave]

I'll play. I'm guessing that the second one is the lie. Not that it is implausable that he'd help you, but the other two are offbeat and implausable enough just to be true.

ThePygmalionEffect
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for ThePygmalionEffect   Email ThePygmalionEffect         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tante. Sorry, the lie was helping Tool put their equipment away. I think I would have enjoyed that almost as much as #2.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.