FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This really really upsets me. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This really really upsets me.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Thanks, guys.

He hasn't told me anything more yet. If he pulls this one off, though, I'll be indebted to him forever! I'm already so appreciative of what he's trying to do.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I hope so much that he's able to change it! If not, would it be appropriate for you to pray about it and ask God what you should do?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Shani - I'm still working on the date issue, but it's starting to look like options to move the concert are narrowing. The problem is that it is so soon, and various calenders and pre-publicity have already been issued. Also - there are diary conflicts affecting every other possible day (opera the day before, fall break the day after, twelfth night performance on Tuesday etc etc), and the nearest available 'free' night is a whole week before, which WE wouldn't be ready for. I'm tearing what's left of my hair out about this, and I am devastated that you should be faced with such a conflict so early in your time here. The fact that we can survive without you is immaterial - you have worked very hard and very well this semester, and you add something distinct and beautiful to your end of the group. I am constantly aware of it!

Final decision must be made tomorrow. I look forward to exploring our options together after choir.

Have a good day.

Gabriel

*teary-eyed* That e-mail actually made me cry. I can't even tell him how appreciative I am of how hard he tried to fix the problem for me. What an incredible man!

I'll think about my decision, and let him know tomorrow, if I choose to sing or not.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww. It sounds like he appreciates how difficult this is for you. But accepts that you might not be there.

Don't feel guilty if you don't show up.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Gabriel seems really, really cool. That second email was certainly very professional and very understanding and the fact that hes' even willing to try and move it shows he's a pretty cool guy. You're lucky to have such an understanding and caring director. I'm glad it looks like things may work out for the best. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you give up Yom Kippur, don't you people have some kind of Day of Atonement, so you can make amends.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"you people"? Oh, dear.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
Even if you give up Yom Kippur, don't you people have some kind of Day of Atonement, so you can make amends.

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Wall Bash]
Dobbie
Member # 3881

This reminds me of what Bob Hope said about the Academy Awards: "Or, as it's called at my house, Yom Kipppur."
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Or was that Passover?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's time to bring out the goat. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
How wonderful that he's so understanding! Let us know what the final decision is.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobbie is being IRONIC

*smacks everyone*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
What about some kind of nutrition drink rather than eating. It would keep you from passing out and yet be no fun. Don't know what the rules are but this might be a possible compromise.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Don't know what the rules are

Yom Kippur rules.

Nothing passes the lips, not a sip of water, not a toothbrush. You can't even rinse the disgusting morning taste from your mouth.

quote:
No bathing; using creams, oils, perfumes or other skin accessories; wearing leather shoes; sexual relations; and eating and drinking.

If you’re on medication, you may take it if your life depends on it: diabetic pills, nitroglycerin drops, seizure suppressants or other serious stuff like that. Take it without any water unless you absolutely, totally cannot; in that case, take it with one (1) teaspoonful of water. Standard antibiotics—and over-the-counter vitamins—can easily be skipped for a day.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought it might be a better option than skipping the fast altogether if she was leaning that way. Oh well.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Dobbie is being IRONIC

*smacks everyone*

You would smack a pregnant woman? [Eek!]
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I would and i did!!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Standard antibiotics—and over-the-counter vitamins—can easily be skipped for a day.
Wouldn't that cause the treatment to be less effective and lead to more antibiotic-resistant bacteria?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is wrong, if you don't complete the treatment cycle the infection can come back worse than ever. It is a very bad thing to do.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
One: they're not talking about stopping it early. They're talking about skipping a day and then continuing for an extra day. I actually checked that out with my pediatrician (for an unrelated reason) and was told it was fine.

Two: many rabbis will disagree with Rabbi Hecht, and allow someone to take an antibiotic on Yom Kippur. (There is in fact a question whether swallowing less than about 1.5 ounces counts as violating a fast.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't mean you won't complete the cycle. It just means you prolong it by one day. I don't think it will be affected that much but I am sure someone will proove me wrong. Just lay off!

Raia, it certainly sounds like he will check next time so pray and do what your heart tells you. Good luck!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just lay off!
Is that directed at me? I was just asking a question, and rivka has answered it for me. I didn't know whether it was okay or not to skip a day of treatment, and I didn't realize it meant continuing for an extra day. Now I know.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, having apologized for his initial response and then acknowleded how important this holy day is for you, I imagine that your choir director would respect you even more if you were to observe the fast and refrain from singing at this concert. I presume there will be several other concerts this school year? Whatever you decide, all the best to you!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm voting for fasting and singing both. I think your fasting voice will be powerful and pure. (Not that you're asking for a vote, of course.)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

By the way, Dobbie's crack made me laugh out loud. I know it was irreverent but it was way funny.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I'm voting for fasting and singing both. I think your fasting voice will be powerful and pure. (Not that you're asking for a vote, of course.)

Based on what, exactly? Raia has already stated that she has come close to fainting when she was simply slightly dehydrated.

Yom Kippur starts the night before. She will have been fasting for about 18 hours or so -- no food, no water, no nothin' -- at the time of the concert.

Pure her voice might be, but I have doubts about powerful. And really serious doubts about her not collapsing.

(((((Raia))))) It's a difficult situation, and I am glad your director is being understanding.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I'm going to go talk to him about it today. We'll "explore our options together," as he said in the e-mail. But I think I'm leaning towards skipping the fast and singing in this concert. That's also very important to me, and I know it's important to him as well. I haven't fully decided, but I've given this matter a great deal of thought, and I think that I can do that.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you end up doing, I hope you know that we all wish you well. [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zebulan
Member # 8420

- posted      Profile for Zebulan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Raia, having apologized for his initial response and then acknowleded how important this holy day is for you, I imagine that your choir director would respect you even more if you were to observe the fast and refrain from singing at this concert. I presume there will be several other concerts this school year? Whatever you decide, all the best to you!

Quoted just to reiterate what uprooted said.
I hope your meeting goes well.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie I apologize. I didn't mean to be so flippant. You were just asking a question. Sorry for my rudeness.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is your decision.

I do think that if fasting to you is worth inconveniencing everyone two weeks before the concert, it should be worth skipping the concert. Otherwise, it's like asking that they be more observant of your religion than you are.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I just met up with him after choir rehearsal. He almost made me cry again, when he said "you have no idea how emotional it was, watching you sing and not having any idea if you'd get to perform, because of something that's not your fault." But I told him that I think I'm leaning towards performing, rather than not. He said that of course he'd be thrilled, but that I can take more time to think about it... now that he doesn't have to move the date, there's no pressing time limit. He also asked me for my parents' address because he wanted to write them a personal letter of apology.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. He sounds like a class act. [Smile] Plus, I bet they will ALL be more careful when planning these things from now on. [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Smile] Yeah.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, Don't dismiss the possibility of both fasting and singing even if you have had difficulties with fasting in the past. I, like many of the religious people here, have done many 24 hour fasts without food or water. Sometimes when I fast, I feel very week and hungry, but I have found that when I fast with pure intent and fill my day with prayer instead of food that I can fast for 24 hours without feeling week or hungry. My husband usually has migraine headaches when he goes without eating, but recently he had a powerful reason to fast and was able to do it without problems. I'm sure that many others here could tell you of similar experiences. It is possible that with God's help you could fast and still sing with a pure.

Kat has an important point. Unfortunately, you have been placed in a place where you must decide which is more important to you, singing or being Jewish. Recognize that what ever you do it will set a precident for your future. If you choose to sing, you are telling your choir director and all those involved that Yom Kippur, the most important Jewish Holy Day, is less important to you than the choir. If you make this compromise of your faith, you will be asked to make others and each one will be easier than the last. Eventually, you will be left with no faith at all.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the last of Rabbit's post will come true, but I do think you will be saying that Yom Kippur is worth inconveniencing them, but not worth inconveniencing you.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I've had the exact same experience The Rabbit describes. If I fast with good motive and real intent, then I am strengthened and not weakened by the fast.

I agree as well that every time you make the choice not to observe, it weakens your faith, and makes the next time that much easier. Every time you make a hard choice toward being observant, it strengthens your faith, and you are greatly blessed.

Please don't take any of these comments as pressure. Of course it is your decision and yours alone, and nobody else even has a right to an opinion about it. But those of us who have made hard decisions in favor of observance, and been greatly blessed by it, want to share that experience with you. We would like to see you blessed as well.

[ October 01, 2005, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
But those of us who have made hard decisions in favor of observance, and been greatly blessed by it, want to share that experience with you. We would like to see you blessed as well.

I like the way you put it, AK. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Raia, I've been thinking about you, and was wondering what your final decision is. Good luck.

And I wish for you a meaningful Yom Kippur.

rivka
Member # 4859

May all of us have a meaningful Yom Kippur. And an easy fast (for those who are fasting).
Raia
Member # 4700

Thanks, Tante. [Smile]

I decided to sing. It basically came down to evaluating which I'd regret more... fasting, and not singing, or singing, and not regarding Yom Kippur as the important day that it is.

I decided I'd regret it more if I didn't sing.

Thank you all for your help, though!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.