FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Concerns about the Intergalactic Medicine Show site design... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Concerns about the Intergalactic Medicine Show site design...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they're getting ready to go live here:
http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com/cgi-bin/mag.cgi?do=issue&vol=i1

But I'm a bit concerned that the page, as it now stands, hovers at the very edge of eye-crushingly ugly -- which is a shame, because I'd really like to see it be a success.

Is it just me, guys, or IS this site design a bit clunky? I don't like nitpicking -- I usually don't do it uninvited -- but I'm half-tempted to write OSC to ask him to solicit a second professional opinion on the site.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
He needs to style his body links differently, the current colors clash with all the other colors on the site.

The notion of navigation introduced on the left on this page is bad: http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com/

Trying to explain a semi-complicated concept in tiny fonts in an off-focus location is a bad idea; plus, the list of "issues" isn't even on the screen at 800 by 600. Additionally, the issues should be in the reverse order, newest on top.

I suggest a much simpler way of conveying the desired notion, plus even more information:

Issue 3 -- last updated ________
Issue 2 -- finished on _______
Issue 1 -- finished on _______

And put it in the middle where people will actually see it.

Given how dominating the "frame" is, but the clear desire to use it, I'd only use it on the front page. Use a stripped-down frame for subpages, perhaps say just a series of images across the top, the height of the standard rectangle on the main frame, not using the giant battle school kid ball. This will greatly improve available space and the feeling of clutter information-heavy pages already have.

Putting Issue 1 off to the side on the TOC makes it completely ignorable. "Issue One Table of Contents" should be at the top. Don't use "1", it makes it much harder to read.

*goes off to his Human-Computer Interaction/Design class*

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
...I still have issues with the two different colour green ovals, to put a totally colour-based POV on it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, the whole frame has serious color issues, but it doesn't look like that's going to be changed in substance.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
On my screen the right column of stuff is completely off the page. I had to side-scroll to see "Issue 1." With the big chunk o' white space in the middle, that stuff could be moved over.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah; the author information is too far off to the side to be really "connected" with the various content, visually. Better to move it much closer.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
...I still have issues with the two different colour green ovals, to put a totally colour-based POV on it.

Ugh. Me too. And the font for "Orson Scott Card's" looks out of place, especially with the underlining.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What in the world? What is this?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the website for OSC's new online fiction magazine.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Ah.

Yeah, they need to get rid of the puke green.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any major problems with it (but I'm easy to please).

Tom, you often point out what you consider to be "bad design" in web sites. I would be interested in seeing you link to a few that you consider to be "good design" so I can compare what you think is good and bad.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I still say the motif of the cover page shouldn't revolve exclusively around OSC's books, since the magazine itself doesn't revolve exclusively around his books.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Other than fugu13's suggestion of reverse ordering so that the newest issue is always on top, the site looks fairly clean to me.
But then, I hate sites which look like "Hey, look at me. I'm a webdesigner earning his keep by putting tons of unnecessary flotsam&jetsam on this page so the owner will think he's getting his money's worth of cool stuff." even though all the extraneous clutter will create extra owner uploading cost and extra customer downloading time while making it more difficult for the browsing public to read and use the site, which is the opposite of what any sane owner would want.*

About the only change I would suggest at present is purely aesthetic: shrinking the size of the top and left border illustrations so that they look more abstract, ala the illustrative "woodcut" publishing house logos often found in older books.
And even I don't trust my artistic sensibilities to seduce the tastes of the general public.

While some of the other suggested "improvements" might actually be improvements, I'd wait for an actual page to look at before making changes: eg (using underscores to represent the extended blank space)

Title _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ by Author
Title _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ by Author
looks considerably different than
The Wine has Been Left Open Too Long and the Memory has Gone Flat _ _ _ by Harlan Ellison
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ by Paul Zindell

* Yep, that was a deliberately clunky sentence.

[ September 29, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm yeah, the characters would acutally probably look better with less color, more monochromatic like an actual wood cut, then they wouldn't look like bad Sunday school lesson props anymore.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Note, aspectre, that almost everything I suggested involved removing something [Wink] . There are plenty of people who call themselves designers who put a whole bunch of stuff up on sites, but good designers realize that design is not about decoration, but matching form and function.

The title/author mismatch can be taken care of by ensuring a minimum reasonable width between the longest title and the author information; having a gigantic fixed width makes it hard to read.

Actually, using a series of . . . . or other visual indicator going partway across the space would do wonders for making it readable.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sites I think exhibit good web design:

Google
Amazon
iVillage
Hatrack River
NASA
Viewpoint
Flickr

Note that I have some quibbles with all of these, but that's because it's easier to quibble than to like something wholeheartedly. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Nice to know you like Hatrack! [Wink]

I love Google. So simple, so clean. I wish more were that way.

However, I view Amazon as almost the opposite. They have totally cluttered up their site from the way it was originally.......

I will have to look up the others....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Amazon's going downhill, true. It's because, like eBay, they're trying to offer too much, and trying to make it all visible on the same page. I think the best way to do this is through drop-down or collapsible menus, but this would lock out people with older browsers -- who, in the case of eBay or Amazon, are likely to be customers.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think the OSCstory-referential illustrations-as-logos belong.
Other than the authors chosen for publication and possibly a few of their friends, readers will be coming to the site because of OSC's imprimateur, and it's implication that the stories will be within the spirit of OSC's writings.

There are thousands of sites for fiction of one sort or another, and hundreds containing at least a few stories by published authors. Problem is that, except possibly for a handful of fans, those authors aren't recognized Names.
Would you read a story by aspectre? And that's even if you somehow stumbled on a site which contained it. Heck, I probably wouldn't read it. Except to find out if and what I'd been sleep-typing and sleep-mailing.

Ya need a Name to draw readers into a fiction site, especially a new one. And through serendipity -- having honed ones talents to be capable of exploiting luck when luck occurs -- OSC happens to be a Name.
And is willing to lend his Name to the promotion of lesser known authors. That being the case, the more OSC reminds casual browsers that a site is his site, the better it is for the authors being showcased.

Besides, as an even more purely practical point, the more OSC self-promotes, the easier it is to argue that the site is part of his business* -- even as a loss leader -- for the accompanying tax deductions, and not just a hobby for which expenses can't be deducted.
And the less it costs OSC to run the site, the more likely it is that it will remain on-line. Which is another big plus for the showcased authors.

* Writing itself is an avocation, a hobby, often more like a full-blown compulsion.
The business of authors is selling what they write.

[ September 29, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I think the occasional OSC illustration belongs. I think the illustrations in question are unnerving and creepy, though.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Other than the authors chosen for publication and possibly a few of their friends, readers will be coming to the site because of OSC's imprimateur, and it's implication that the stories will be within the spirit of OSC's writings.

I never read Asimov's because of Asimov. Quite frankly, I don't care for him.

I read Asimov's because of the stories and the articles and the writing.

Even when Asimov was alive, the magazine wasn't about him. He wrote his editorials, but his 'spirit' certainly didn't seem to suffuse the magazine. The cover of the magazine certainly wsan't all about Asimov and didn't try to convey the message that it was all about Asimov.

What I'm getting from the cover page is that the Medicine Show is going to be around OSC, that the e-zine isn't going to be about SF/Fantasy as it is about OSC. So, unless I'm a big fan and I just want to get more OSC, I wouldn't subscribe.

I agree with Tom that the occasional illustration is fine. However, I would do it in a much more deft way. Perhaps a picture of something AI Jane-ish pulling back a curtain into something that suggested a collage of fantastic possibilities. Maybe not even that specific.

I don't know. It's kind of presumptious for me to say anything. It's not my problem. I'm just thinking out loud.

I wish OSC the best of luck with this. Maybe he can succeed where Ellen Datlow and others have failed.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, all taste considerations aside, there are some very BAD design choices beind made on that site.

1) Too Many Fonts! You've got a sans-serif (Arial?) font mixed with at least two different serif fonts (Times and that funky one in the name plaque/logo). The one funky font MIGHT be okay if you kept the rest of the type sans-serif. On that note, your art does not mix well with serif fonts - blocky, simple art needs blocky, simple text. So ditch the Times New Roman or whatever it is.

2) The colour pallette values work, but needs more space to be effective. Centering the whole page, or at least getting it away from the left and top edges of the screen will help the colours work better with the background. That goes for the illustrations as well - if you keep 'em, give 'em more space. You don't have to give them a lot more space, just more than they have now.

3) Using white as a background for your readable text may seem like a safe bet, but in this case it is definitley contrasting too much with the graphic border. Try picking a neutral colour from your pallette, pull down the saturation, and change your type colour to create a nice contrast. You should be able to do all that while staying withing the colour space of your design, and it would really help unify the whole thing.

On the upside, I acutally dig the art style, and think it could be very nice if the site layout was reworked a bit.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it needs a good proofread. [Smile]
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe he can succeed where Ellen Datlow and others have failed.
I wouldn't call SciFiction a "failure". First online pro market to be recognized by SFWA and still one of the highest paying markets in the field? I'd say SciFiction, Strange Horizons, ChiZine, and Infinite Matrix are all good examples that online publishing is a viable market.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Uh.... Wonder Dog? All that advice from someone who uses Notebook Paper background on their own site????

[Dont Know]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I wasn't referring to SciFiction, OlavMah. I was referring to Even Horizon and Omni's e-zine.

I actually had no idea those sites existed. Thanks for pointing them out to me.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Many people break all the principles of site design on their own site, Farmgirl. My own site does so DELIBERATELY, for a number of reasons; I would never recommend that a client visit my page to get an idea of what I normally design.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its worth pointing out that two common ways of determining if a design was not done by a professional are checking the font size/spacing and the contrast of colors. If the fonts are large but not very spaced out, its an amateur. If the fonts are small with more space, its someone who knows typography. If the colors are very high contrast, its not a professional.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Why do you deliberately break all the principles of site design, Tom?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Because its fun, and experimenting with rule violations is one way to find new rules.

Plus, the rules sometimes should be violated, and determining when and how that is appropriate requires violating them a lot in practice and seeing what that leads to.

But on a commercial site which is based around easy, comfortable, regular access to periodically updated, presentationally sensitive information, its not a time to be experimental (unless that's what you're selling).

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
As kat said in another thread, personal sites are for playing. They’re where you get to do all the stuff that you think looks kind of fun but isn’t very professional.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because its fun, and experimenting with rule violations is one way to find new rules.

Plus, the rules sometimes should be violated, and determining when and how that is appropriate requires violating them a lot in practice and seeing what that leads to.

Or, as I tell my theory students, you have to learn the rules so that you can know good times and reasons for breaking them. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I didn't like was that either the font for "Uncle Orsons Intergalactive Medicine Show" or the style of the frame illustrations would need to change. It looked like it had been written by hand with a mouse, if you know what I mean. Which could be an okay look if it weren't the only thing on the page done that way. I know it is supposed to look like iron pen on parchment, but then it shouldn't be white on green.

Also, the picture of Alvin and Arthur Stewart brought to mind some of the accusations during the witch trial. But that's probably just my OCD. I'm not really sure what would be better. It depends on what the picture is trying to convey. I mean, I didn't mind the Crystal City cover, so there you go.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a content guy -- not a design guy.

But I still have to agree with Tom and fugu.

A couple of online magazines where I think the design works -- and by that I essentially mean that navigation is decent and the design complements the content.

Bookslut

Slant

Flak Magazine

EDIT: obviously these sites betray my own biases in design -- but they're still good models of how to arrange content.

Obviously, there's only so much time and money that OSC is going to be able to put into design issues.

But even one of the many free templates available would be better that what's there now. There are a lot of designs on Zen Garden that I don't like. But that's a good place to start.

It's not so much the look I object to as the navigation and layout.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Zal linked to porn!

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I can figure out everyone of the book illustrations- except the woman in the spoon.

What the heck is that?

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

BTW, do not miss the Bookslut interview with Susanna Clarke.

Here's one part of it:

quote:
Fans of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell are very polite. They are charming and highly intelligent. They have excellent dress-sense, and are kind to animals and small children
[Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When you begin a new site with a wonderful design, most people will take it for granted.

But,

If you start out with a not-so-great design, and then improve it later, everyone will just gush about how wonderful the new design is, and kudos to the designer, it will give the letters column something to print, and spark all kinds of lively debate.

Could it be that the design is less than perfect by design?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Those emperor clothes look great, don't they? [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Spectacular!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

A minor thing, but why is the head (the browser title) "Please Log In"?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[Smile]
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually had no idea those sites existed. Thanks for pointing them out to me.
Strange Horizons claims to have more readers than Asimov's has subscribers, and its free. As are most, if not all of those sites I listed (haven't been to Infinite Matrix or ChiZine lately.)
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:

But on a commercial site which is based around easy, comfortable, regular access to periodically updated, presentationally sensitive information, its not a time to be experimental (unless that's what you're selling).

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with this. Tom just said that he broke the rules deliberately for a number of reasons, and I wanted to know what the reasons were.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Tom just said that he broke the rules deliberately for a number of reasons, and I wanted to know what the reasons were.
He's a rebel. Must he have a cause?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Tom is as much of a rebel as I am. [Smile]

He always has good reasons for doing things.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm yeah, the characters would acutally probably look better with less color, more monochromatic like an actual wood cut, then they wouldn't look like bad Sunday school lesson props anymore.
[Big Grin] Agreed.

The fonts should go together better also, like some of you said. I'm not quite sure what kind of feel the whole site is going for.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

This is a complete tangent, but I checked out Strange Horizons (btw, comparing Web stats to subscribers is always a dubious thing -- not that I'm casting asperions on Strange Horizons. I haven't read enough of its content to make a judgement) and, this part of a review of a novel called _The Princess of Roumania_ totally cracked me up.

quote:
In Park's story, Roumania is meant to evoke the real Romania. It adds a sense of old-world mystique to the wondrous quality normally associated with a fantasy setting. The novel is not harmed by Park's never having visited the real-world Romania. He has used his imagination to create a world, and then mixed it with names and reputations of real people and places. ....

One of those who would use Miranda to help achieve her own ambitions is the Baroness Ceausescu.

I'm sorry, but that's just hilarious. I mean calling your villainess "Baroness Ceausescu"? Not very subtle. In fact, it's a downright insult to those who actually suffered under that hands of Elena Ceaushescu -- some of them people I know.

Then again, Romania and/or Romanian characters get (mis)used all the time in bad fantasy/action adventure. Even OSC is not immune to this trope.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Did you ever read Children of the Night by Dan Simmons, Zalmoxis?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.