FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New theatre guidelines: don't move. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New theatre guidelines: don't move.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think I worked in some scary urban area. Quite the opposite. Its a college town but the majority of the problem comes from high school age kids. There's nothing else for them to do on a Friday night. Our biggest problem has been parents who drop off their kids because they don't want to deal with them, and then don't pick them up until hours past their movie ending. So we have these kids breaking into parked cars, sneaking into movies, getting bored and harrassing employees. We've had to tighten down on rules to eliminate those rare dangerous situations. Parents think we're a babysitting service.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
We have many of the same troubles, Shanna....

But on the other hand, I *am* in a scary urban area. My car has been broken into twice since I started working here and vandalized once.

However we don't prevent bags from coming in, and we definitely don't search backpacks or anything like that.

Our rule is, if someone tries to sneak in outside food (however laughable their attempt may be) we will go ahead and let them in.

However if they are carrying it in the open, we do ask them to finish it in the lobby.

(And those of you who just don't buy that the only money we make is from concessions, I don't know what to tell you. It's true. I'm a movie theater manager, and I see the percentages. The money we make from tickets is so small that any profits from the box office are basically negligable.

That money all goes to the movie theater production companies. [When I say "all" I'm speaking in generalities -- not hard percentages, because we do get a tiny amount.])

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So if I were to go into the popcorn business, a good strategy to attract customers would be to build a cinema around my popcorn stand?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

If you don't mind dealing with the nightmare of running a theatre. =)
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that we doubt that concessions supply the majority of most movie theatres' income. It's that we doubt both the quality of the concessions and the wisdom of this business plan.

[ October 03, 2005, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: ambyr ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(And those of you who just don't buy that the only money we make is from concessions, I don't know what to tell you. It's true. I'm a movie theater manager, and I see the percentages. The money we make from tickets is so small that any profits from the box office are basically negligable.
You know, I really don't care. If a theater cannot stay open with the money from my (and everybody else's) ticket, then they might as well close down, because they certainly are not getting any more money from me than those expensive tickets.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not necessarily the movie theatre's fault that Hollywood takes so much of the ticket money, you know.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't care.

If everybody were like me, perhaps most theatres would go out of buisness.

And I still wouldn't care.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Cool....
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If Hollywood takes so darned much of the ticket money, then

1) Why do some theaters (in one area) charge $9 a ticket, some charge $9.50, some charge $10, and some charge $11? In Dallas, same thing, but adjust down to the $6.95 to $8.50 range?

2) How do budget theaters, which play one or two of the hottest movies with limited showtimes, and charge something like $2 for kids, $4 for adults, survive? No concessions, they still have ushers and people who pick up after you, they still have three ticket windows...

Not doubting you, asking legitimate questions out of curiosity.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(And also, I agree with MPH. I'm not going to buy an inferior, overpriced, abhorrent product just because someone decided that it's a better business practice to gamble on my doing so than to sell what I came for.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Some possible answers:

1) Various movie chains will have different deals with movie companies. And a .50 difference may be basic economics. Trying to stay competitive while trying to pull in a profit.

2) As for the budet theatres, we have one in our town which is actually owned by the big theatre. The movies they show are additional prints sent to the big theatre which decided not to use them. Or, they're movies that were replaced by newer releases and therefore were given to the smaller theatre. The big theatre is picking up the tab and just using the smaller theatre to make a bonus profit. Also, if they don't sell concessions and set their times right, the box office people probably double as ushers and the manager works the projectors. That cuts down on the staff big time.

Just some possible scenarios. I work box office and projection so what business I know is what I've picked up by experience in the last 3-4 years and what I've learned from discussions with my managers.

As for the quality of concessions, its gonna vary from place to place. We sell the basics, soda, popcorn, candy, hotdogs and we just added ice cream and nachos. While I'm at work, I eat the popcorn willingly (we make great popcorn) and even grab a hotdog if I'm working and don't have time to run-out on break. When I see movies, I get my tickets for free but I still buy concessions. Yeah, the prices aren't spectacular but its still worth it for me to have hot popcorn during my movie. If you have a problem with the quality of the product you're purchasing, please tell a manager. Good chance is that some punk worker has gotten lazy and put too much salt in the popcorn, etc. Keep the owners on their toes. Let them know your concerns. They're not gonna try and improve if no one tells them there's a problem.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cinema question. Why is it that I will stand in line for one guy to sell me the ticket, then stand in line for someone else to tear the ticket in half?

Not like I want someone to lose his job, but wouldn't cut down on personnel costs to sell the tickets already torn in half?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if theaters make most of their profit from high-priced concessions, and patrons don't like to pay that much, is there any other way theaters could be making money?

Here's a thought: what if they sold tie-in movie merchandise at the theater? Have a little gift shop in a corner. I'd think people would be more apt to buy tie-in merchandise while they're still on a high from seeing the movie. I know I would have loved to be able to buy Serenity stuff like the soundtrack and the visual companion right after the movie.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

The ticket-tearer is verifying who is allowable into the theatre because they have a ticket and who isn't. The ticket is torn because some theatres keep records to make sure the number of ticket-stubs matches with the number sold. If we catch a patron in the theatre with an untorn ticket, we know they got in some way other than going through the main doors, which we would need to investigate. Ticket-tearers are also responsible for directing patrons to the correct auditorium. You'd think people could just match the big number on the ticket to the big number on the door, but no. This is especially a problem when we have the same movie showing on multiple screens.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The only times I've bought concessions at a movie theatre are when I was a teenager and didn't want to appear cheap in front of a date.

When I got older, I decided that being cheap was nothing to be ashamed of. [Smile]

TL
Member # 8124

xnera, I think that's a good idea.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
There was at one point (and may still be) a movie theater in Atlanta that actually served dinner-type food. It had smallish screens and small theaters, with wide stadium rows of tables at different heights, plus a couple rows of armchairs closer to the front where you could sit if you just wanted drinks (including alcohol!). It was, IIRC, an adults-only type of place, though I could be mistaken about that. It ROCKED.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a theater like that in suburban Chicago, Megan. Might even be the same owners, in fact, I do remember reading that he imported the idea from somewhere else.

Hollywood does enforce a 1-item minimum in addition to the ticket price, but we're talking *real* food, decent food, and even booze, so I don't mind it so much when I actually feel the need to go to a full price theater. And yes, ours is also adults-only with the exception of the 4:00 showtime. Needless to say, they typically don't run things like Robots and Racing Stripes after 6:00 LOL

The other thing I like about this place is the lobby ambiance. Lots and lots of movie posters, painted murals on a couple of the walls, a mock-up of the front of Grumman's that you walk through to get to the theaters, even wax dummies of Jake and Elwood. And the last time I was there, they did have some tie-in merchandise available for RHPS - they do midnight shows every weekend, year round - and maybe for some other shows, I don't recall.

A little bit pricy, tickets are 9.50 instead of 8.50 for Cineplex or 8.00 for Classic, and of course you're captive for food and drinks (a burger was 8 bucks, soda was 3 for a 20 ounce), but since I so rarely feel the need to see a movie without the presence of children, it's mostly a non-issue for me anyway.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
There was at one point (and may still be) a movie theater in Atlanta that actually served dinner-type food. It had smallish screens and small theaters, with wide stadium rows of tables at different heights, plus a couple rows of armchairs closer to the front where you could sit if you just wanted drinks (including alcohol!). It was, IIRC, an adults-only type of place, though I could be mistaken about that. It ROCKED.
I would totallly go to a place like that. Dinner and a movie -- at the same time?

Brilliant!!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.