FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I screamed like a little girl

Author Topic: I screamed like a little girl
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I screamed like the slasher movie slut when she first meets the chainsaw wielding welcome wagon.

Let me explain.

I have a few idiosyncracies.

First, I am follicaly impaired. In other words, I am taller than my hair. I have an over aggresive forehead, heck its set up satelitte hairless dictatorships all over my cranium.

When ones natural cranial sun block is removed, one must remember to limit the exposure to ultraviolet light.

After all, only an idiot would let there head get sunburned.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. It was cool and not a cloud in the sky. It was so cool that, during my son's field trip to an apple orchard, which I was chaperoning, I did not consider the amount of sun I was getting, especially on my hatless head.

Another idiosyncracy of mine is that I suffer from heat exhaustion. Since an odd adventure of mine at the age of 8, if I get too much heat or sun I get exhausted quickly. Such exhaustion hit me last night. I came home and was asleep by 7pm.

I awoke this morning at 7am. Still a bit drained for yesterday's adventure I headed for the shower to get cleaned up.

Another idiosyncracy of mine is that I like my showers very hot. They make me feel more alive if my skin turns a bit pink.

I had yet to notice that my face, and the bits of visible skin shining through my thining hair were already bright pink.

I have come to the conclusion that if one has too many idiosyncracies, one becomes an idiot.

The shower was not bad, though my brain did begin registering that not all was right with my head, when out of habit I stuck my head directly underneat the showerhead to prepare my little hair for washing.

That was when I screamed.

Sharp pounding daggers of water beat upon my innocent irradiated head like viscious sledge hammers tapping out Wagners greatest hits in Pain major.

Well, maybe a real man wouldn't have screamed at this moment. Maybe John Wayne or Bruce Willis or Mal wouldn't have screamed in agony like a three year old who has dropped their ice cream, but I had a good reason.

See, my first instinctual reaction, besides screaming and removing my head from the torture device, was to sooth my head by rubbing my hands over the battered area.

Both of my hands.

Including the hand already full of Suave shampoo. As that shampoo hit my scalp and began lathering up, I realized that I needed to rid my hair of that foam. And the only way to do that was to stick my head back under the pelting shards of water, that were then gently carressing my back.

That was when I started to cry.

But I'm feeling much better now.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, glad you're feeling better.

[Hat] <--keep your hat on!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Um, glad you're feeling better.

[Hat] <--keep your hat on!

In the shower? It will probably get quite wet.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, poor baby. I love that you mentioned Mal in such great company, but I think he might have screamed, too.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
keep your hat on!

In the shower? It will probably get quite wet.
A rain hat?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I do own a broc-a-brella.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And I'm sure that it is very stylish.

And kudos to you on balding with dignity. There is something very attractive about a man who shows his scalp proudly.

I hate that desperate clinging to a few pathetic wisps come-over look.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I also would have screamed.

I can also commiserate. Not about a lack of hair, but about having a sunburned scalp ahd having to wash said scalp.

>_<

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Aww, poor baby. I love that you mentioned Mal in such great company, but I think he might have screamed, too.

Part of what we love about Mal is that we know that he would. [Wink]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, only you could write about showering with a sunburn so eloquently.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to peel people after a sunburn. Am I weird? Dan, come on over when it starts peeling and let me be a monkey! [Big Grin]
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you eat it?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love to peel people after a sunburn. Am I weird? Dan, come on over when it starts peeling and let me be a monkey!
Do you have the uncontrollable urge to decorate everything you have in gold? Do you love gold, inordinately? I'd say we could help you, but we've all run away now.

Poor Dan. I sympathize. Aloe Vera is your friend.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
shards of water

I like that description!

Sorry you got burned. [Frown]

Feel better soon!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I'm giggling hysterically at this story.

I'll second the call for aloe very and cybersmack you for forgetting your hat...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the time I was helping my uncle and somehow got gasoline stuck on my hair. When I went in to take a hot shower after the day was over I gained an unpleasant and unwelcome bit of knowledge. Getting gasoline in your ears or eyes HURTS!

Needless to say, a lot of soap, swearing and yelling in general followed suit and to this day whenever I get anything weird on my hair I make sure to wash my hair BEFORE I step into the shower [Big Grin]

Good to know I'm not the only one out there doing stupid things [Wink]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Dan_Raven's scalp)))

You'll heal, I'm sure.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
*attempts to giggle and make sympathetic noises at the same time*

*fails, and settles for giggling first, then cringing*

Out of curiosity, did anyone in the family hear your scream and come running to rescue you?

And yes, that was a wonderfully told story. [Smile]

*hands Dan some aloe lotion*

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
ewwwww. No I don't eat it! Gross! Where's the puke graemlin?

And no I hate gold. Silver though...

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
On a similar (though not as painful) line, I often take my daughter for long walks in her stroller, and as such, I once managed to get a significant sunburn on the backs of my hands that I didn't notice until I bathed later. Ouch. Who thinks to put sunblock on the backs of their hands?!
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
being white to the point of transparency, I can empathise. I also dropped IQ points this weekend, parading around the Texas Ren Fest in my gypsy getup, which was topped with a halter. My shoulders are so bad that other people wince when they see the angry purple. The tops of my boobs are burnt. THAT HURTS. Wearing a bra? hah. You are not alone, dear friend.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
On a similar (though not as painful) line, I often take my daughter for long walks in her stroller, and as such, I once managed to get a significant sunburn on the backs of my hands that I didn't notice until I bathed later. Ouch. Who thinks to put sunblock on the backs of their hands?!

I did something similar when I was younger. We went to the beach, and I made sure to douse myself in sunscreen (because I'm super pale and can only burn). I forgot the backs of hands though. Man, those things got burnt really bad, and I felt it almost immediately after we left the beach. That was probably one of the worst sunburns I've ever gotten.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you had to have that horrible shower experience and I hope your scalp heals quickly. I loved reading you tell about it though!

I sometimes tease my dad about wearing hats all the time. He, like you, has an agressive forehead, so I can understand the need for a hat. However, I fail to see the need when it is dark out or he is indoors. I was very proud of him when he resisted the temptation to try to hide his shiny pate and started buzzing all his hair so it's about half an inch long. No long, pathetic comb-over attempts here!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Thanks for all the sympathy folks. I'm feeling much better now. I shall try to dazzle your minds with some more bits of wordiness as the day progresses.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you know what else is fun? Getting a sunburn over nearly your entire body because you weren't smart enough to put sunscreen on. I gained the nickname LobsterBoy that day. I have pictures if anyone wants to see, but they aren't pleasant.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Great write-up, Dan! Very funny. Sorry for the subject matter, though. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.