FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » President Bush has chosen White House counsel Harriet Miers for Supreme Court (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: President Bush has chosen White House counsel Harriet Miers for Supreme Court
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think the most interesting aspect of this nomination is that it was recommended by Harry Reid."

This doesn't appear to be a confirmed fact. It seems to be an interpretation of Reid's recommending that the white house not necessarily look to someone with previous judicial experience, combined with his statement that so far, her record looks good to him.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The phrase "biblical literalist" puts Phelps and the WBC into my mind, personally.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
WBC?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The Westboro Baptist Church.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Biblical Literalist?

Like when Jesus tells us to pluck our eyes out?

Is she that F-ing Literal?
Or is she a liberal Literal?

People who interpret EVERY word of the Bible as Literal, are crazy.

Example, does she really think a Great Red Dragon will rise out of the Sea???

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit that I'm not pleased with Bush nominating someone so close to him. After the FEMA fiasco with Brown, we have to ask if his other candidates are actually qualified for the job, or just qualified because Bush likes them. I hope and expect that he treats the Supreme Court as more than a plum job for his friends. I'm willing to keep an open mind, but nominating what appears to be one of his own lawyers makes me very nervous. And not just about her qualifications either--it matters very much to me that the Supreme Court remain independent from the White House. Can Miers stay impartial in regards to a man whom she has worked with closely?

I have a question for Biblical literalists: Do you take Revelation literally? Can there be a literal meaning (letters to specific churches in specific cities) with another, more metaphorical meaning on top (those same letters representing different stages in church history, the interpretation taught at the private Christian school I attended)? Or is the literal meaning the only one?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
PG-- heard a rumor yesterday that Reid suggested Miers. :shrug:

quote:
Can there be a literal meaning (letters to specific churches in specific cities) with another, more metaphorical meaning on top (those same letters representing different stages in church history, the interpretation taught at the private Christian school I attended)? Or is the literal meaning the only one?
Who knows? My understanding is that the Apocalypse of St. John is to be taken both literally and metaphorically. Like much of the Bible.

That way, it's easier for believers to craft meaning. [Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a question for Biblical literalists: Do you take Revelation literally? Can there be a literal meaning (letters to specific churches in specific cities) with another, more metaphorical meaning on top (those same letters representing different stages in church history, the interpretation taught at the private Christian school I attended)? Or is the literal meaning the only one?
I believe Revelation had meaning for the early church to which it was written and it still has meaning for us today. I think the letters were meant to be read and understood by the churches they were addressed to and they also apply to all Christians today.

I do not believe in literal fulfillment of everything, like Thor said if you take every single verse in the Bible literally I think you are going too far. Apocalyptic imagery is just that - imagery - and while there is certainly meaning there, I don't believe there will be literal horses of the Apocalypse, for example. I think the horses are representative and symbolic instead.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
But. . . I wanna ride the pony!

[Frown]

Had to be said.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Pleae, people. We all know that there's only one right way to interpret the law. Everyone knows exactly what "due process" means. Everyone knows what "cruel and unusual punishment" is. There's no ambiguity anywhere in the constitution or the larger body of law, and anyone who says otherwise is an anarchistic, radical liberal.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it does bother me that she headed the Texas Lottery. Encouraging folks to gamble doesn't seem to be an ethical way to make a living when one knows that lotteries disproportionately attract poorer folk. And that the legalized-lottery payout is far lower than what the (obsoleted by the state lotteries) illegal numbers game operators would have dared.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen several references to there being no legal articles written by Miers from which to discover her opinions, and precious few other avenues besides interview, which I consider so staged as to be near-meaningless. If this turns out to be true, I will oppose her being appointed to the Supreme Court, as her qualifications are hidden.

People who have come up through non-legal routes are a different thing. They have (as far as I know, to a man/woman) been very public figures, and there was much public fodder for the evaluation of their thoughtfulness and general legal philosophy (for instance, someone who generally rejects the rule of human law should not be a SCJ).

But the source of Miers' qualifications can only really be in her legal experience, and if the concrete markers of that experience are either to sparse to evaluate her through, or if most of them are hidden behind demands of privilege from the Bush administration (since her highest experience has been as their counsel), even if they're shown to some or all of Congress, I do not see how she can be appointed to the highest court.

I do not see how anyone could be appointed to the highest court without the public having access to that documentation which shows him or her qualified.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.

I'm reading what I can on her.
We grew up around the same stomping grounds,
her in her late forties, me in
my late teens.

I like her.
I also liked Roberts.

We will see.

Won't we?

T

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I've seen several references to there being no legal articles written by Miers from which to discover her opinions

Every time someone brought up a legal position of Roberts' that he had written, people claimed we couldn't draw any conclusions from it since the stuff was written while he was an attorney for other people. I imagine the same thing would apply with Miers.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
What's interesting about this whole debate going on is that it may be one of the first times that a politician has been attacked by his own base for seemingly fulfilling a campaign promise. Is Bush the only one that didn't think promising a strict constructionalist and moderate who didn't need to pass any litmus test was secret code for "hard-core conservative who we can prove would certainly vote conservatively on Roe v. Wade and other big social conservative issues"?

And I wish the media, parties, and political activism groups would at least pretend that the role of Supreme Court Justice is still to interpret the law, rather than impose personal ideology on it. [Wink]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

SS: perhaps her opinions is the wrong word. The patterns of her thought.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

(Very curious to hear from Dagonee!)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sorry - I've had no time to do more research. Some possibilities:

1.) Bush has had detailed talks with her, knows what her views are, and is satisfied she won't change them.

2.) Bush is simply going with the loyalty thing - indulging the same instinct that purportedly made him favor Gonzales, but is picking a candidate with very little record that conservatives can point to.

3.) Bush expects to provoke a filibuster, which will free him to appoint anyone he likes with less backlash. I'm not sure there would be less backlash, but some people seem to think so.

4.) Bush is simply looking to get through this without major battles. Both sides seem kind of perplexed right now and may not be able to muster real opposition. Lukewarm support may be preferable to Bush right now.

If Miers votes in a way that offends the conservative base before the 2006 elections, it could seriously hurt the Republicans. I think Bush knows this (Rove certainly does). I'm not sure Bush really cares, though (Rove certainly does).

in short, I have nothing solid. The primary objections I've heard have not been well-supported, but I haven't seen a positive case for why she should be a SCOTUS justice.

If I had to guess her leanings, based on what I've read third or fourth hand, I'd guess the following:

1.) Deference toward executive power.
2.) Favors Rhenquist/O'Connor type restrictions on commerce clause.
3.) Suspicious of expansions to substantive due process (including privacy).
4.) No guess on changes to existing precedent regarding substantive due process rights.
5.) Fairly textualist in statutory interpretation, with more willingness to seek to find legislators' intent than a Scalia or Easterbrook. However, this will be highly results oriented, mostly in a pro-business stance.
6.) Highly results oriented in matters of constitutional interpretation.
7.) Pro-DOMA.
8.) No firm opinions yet on 4th and 5th amendment, because I doubt she's thought much about it.

All this is HIGHLY speculative, based more on intuition than anything tangible. Basically it's a guess, and I won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

I care far more about the constitutional interpretive methods than the statutory. Bad SCOTUS statutory intepretations can be fixed by Congress; bad constitutional interpretation can't.

The only article I found by her was on unlicensed practice of law when traveling out of state to take depositions.

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3.) Bush expects to provoke a filibuster, which will free him to appoint anyone he likes with less backlash. I'm not sure there would be less backlash, but some people seem to think so.
This seems far-fetched. There are so many ways a tactic like that could backfire, I don't think this administration would try it.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think many of these are far-fetched. I was just listing possible reasons for the choice.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at preliminaries, this is a choice the dems might NOT have to fillibuster in order for it to go down in flames. It seems some republican senators don't like the choice (brownback for eg)
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Going with the far-fetched notion, Bush may have chosen a candidate who'll be defeated but be a good martyr, so he can push through a candidate with more legal experience but extremely controversial views.

That's also pretty far-fetched, though.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

I'm not sure its far-fetched, fugu. Bush seems to have found a candidate that pisses off a good number of republicans... and his approval rating is so low (and dropping) that he won't be able to bludgeon anyone into voting for her.

The choice reeks of cronyism, and after Michael Brown, the american public is being very wary of cronyism right now, so expect pressure on senators from their constituents to find out whether she has any qualifications other then being a bush buddy. There's also a strong apparent element of her being a nominee who will increase the power of the executive. Remember the questioning of roberts? A LOT of senators (including republicans) were concerned that he didn't give enough deference to the legislature. What will senators do with a candidate who might further weaken the legislature to benefit the executive?

We'll see what happens. But the conservatives might not fall into line for this candidate... they've already stepped out of line, so now Bush might need to make a positive case for her as SC justice. And that will be very very hard to do, since she has no record.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Senator Brownback key to nominee's fate

For the record, I think Sen. Brownback is only doing this (making it an issue) in order to get some media time.

It is no secret he may run for the Republican nomination for President next election....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.anncoulter.org/cgi-local/welcome.cgi

What do you think? I normally don't read the woman but I find myself nodding my head this time.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think she has had some serious plastic surgery on that nose.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. First time I've read her stuff. I agree on the wanting someone smart and educated (although, why , for heaven's sake wouldn't you want someone smart and educated for other things!) part, but it was buried in so much general hatefulness that I feel like I need a bath.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Miers preparing for the USSupremeCourt
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Ann Coulter?

Ann "new-mccarthyism," "let's-bomb-and-covert-them," "Canada-sent-troops-to-Vietnam," "McVeigh-shoulda-blown-up-the-NYT-building" Coulter?

*snort*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.