FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you could have one superpower...

Author Topic: If you could have one superpower...
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
...what would it be?

I think flight, personally. Or possibly the ability to stop time temporarily (like in The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything).

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Most definitely telekinesis. That would be a blast.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say teleportation. Just being able to instantly go anywhere would be awesome.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
USSR
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Matter transmutation.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The ability to manipulate gravity would be cool...

Or, you know, Charles Xavier kind of telepathy. Where you can influence people to do what you want. But of course, I would only use that for my own personal gai-uh, I mean, to help the...people... [Cool]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

quote:
the ability to stop time temporarily (like in The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything).
Come on, admit it. You know the real inspiration for this power was really Out of this World
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that show! And have, ever since, wanted to be able to do that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to stop time too. Think of all the procrastinating a person could do...
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Teleportation, as long as it was 100% accurate and free of getting stuck in other matter.

Stopping time would be great, but I'm such a procrastinator that if I had that power I'd barely ever turn it off.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by IanO:
USSR

[ROFL]
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

*blinks* Someone actually *liked* that show?

huh.
:grin:

It would be cool to have that power, though. You'd be able to sleep as much as you want, read as much as you want, and still have as much 'real' time as there can possibly be.

Only downside, I guess, is the possibility that you might die earlier. That you might be ageing 'faster' than everyone else, since you might have spent commutatively years in 'no time.'

Reminds me of Treason and the Kui Keie (or however you spell it.)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by IanO:
*blinks* Someone actually *liked* that show?

huh.
:grin:

[Razz]

In my defense, I was a teenage girl. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I was kidding. I mean I watched enough of it to remember that power, after all. Took a few minutes of racking my brain to remember the name of the show, though.

Still thought it was up there with Charles in Charge and the other lame syndicated teenager shows of the late 80's (the spawn of Saved by the Bell).

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd want the ability to smack someone up the back of the head without being anywhere near them. What would that be, telekinesis?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
...what would it be?

I think flight, personally. Or possibly the ability to stop time temporarily (like in The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything).

I think that you do have a superpower; telepathy. Your post was exactly what I was thinking! Anyway, I'll give my top 5.

1) Flight, because it would be the most fun.

2) Freezing time (or moving so fast that it looks to me like time is frozen), because it's the most useful. I could literally procrastinate everything until the last second and not have to worry!

3) Telepathy, because it'd be almost as useful as freezing time in day-to-day life. There are times when life would be much simpler if I knew exactly what people were thinking.

4) Invisibility, for fun.

5) Telekinesis, once again, it'd just be fun.

Oh wait, as an honourable mention; pyrokinesis (ability to start and control fires at will). I can't actually think of many constructive uses for it, but it would be cool!

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Telekinesis is an awesome power. I wrote a set of stories about a guy with telekinesis and how he used it to do various things (like jump higher, go slightly faster, etc.). Amanecer can vouch for the stories, although anything she says about how crappy they are is just lies. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love that show when I was a kid. And I'm a boy, and I don't feel bad about it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
And you shouldn't feel bad about it. You can't help being a boy. *patpat*
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you use telekinesis to make yourself fly?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Possibly. Depends on how strong your telekinesis is.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on what "rules" of telekinesis you're going by.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Either invisibility or teleportation. Invisibility because that can be used for so many different things, especially on those days when you just want to fade into the background. Teleportation is similar in that it's endlessly useful.

Both are very useful for personal safety.

I'd only like such powers that I could extend to another person as well as myself- so I could make someone as well as me invisible, or take someone as well as myself to wherever I was teleporting to.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Most stories I've seen involving teleportation have allowed the person to take others with them. Although it varies by the person. Some have to actually grab a hold of the other person to bring them, others just slight contact will work, and still others can just do it without contact. Still it'd be cool.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't pick just one, so I'm going to give my top 4:

1) Telepathy
2) The ability to play with time
3) Invisibility
4) Teleportation

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
<---- Already has super power

Being super awesome counts, right? How about super geeky? No? Hello?

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd want the ability to speak any language in the world fluently without any trouble. [Razz]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that'd be an awesome superpower, like the instant translators on Star Trek ships.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't one of your garden-variety superpower, but I'd love it if I had the power to not have to sleep unless I wanted to, without it adversely affecting me physically or mentally.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love time manipulation. And the sort where you don't die early, because you can slice time so that there is duration but no time. Or simply move circlularly through it.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Territory.

That's where you make the rules for your territory, and the rules are absolute for everyone who enters your territory.

You could disallow violence within two miles of yourself, with whatever consequences you chose for those who attempt to violate it. I'd freeze those attempting to commit violence, if that were the rule.

It also might be fun to have a 'no lies' territory. If someone tells a lie, you would know rigt away because they wet themselves or something.

Yes, I could have a lot of fun with Territory. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever got a job at a comic book, I knew what super-power I would introduce--Storytelling. The Storyteller would begin his story, and those listening would be transported into the story where the story-teller would have god-like powers directing the actions of the listener chracters, but only until the story ends.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd want invisibility as much as the ability not to be noticed (such as Baba Yaga in Enchantment) Basically I would want the ability to be in class, but not have to answer questions thrown at me by the teacher and still get credit for being at the class. Does that make any sense? Telekenisis would be awesome as well. Think of the havoc you could wreak with it.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
If I ever got a job at a comic book, I knew what super-power I would introduce--Storytelling. The Storyteller would begin his story, and those listening would be transported into the story where the story-teller would have god-like powers directing the actions of the listener chracters, but only until the story ends.

That reminds me of the manga/anime Getbackers. One of the main characters has the "Evil Eye." You're never sure when he activates it, but life seems to be normal. You see what he wants you to see. Then it ends, and he's standing there over you (since you usually are beaten) and he asks "Did you have a nice dream?" It was quite an interesting power.

EDIT: There was a limit on the power though. I think he could only use it once a day or something.

RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop time, definitely. There is SOOO much (good and bad) you could do with that it is ridiculous.
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, one of the best superpowers that many comic book and cartoon heroes have is I-Say-So Power. This is the power to declare a conclusion based on no evidence, or that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, and have it be completely true. You must state the conclusion in a loud and authoritative voice. The Superfriends did this a lot, but Birdman was the absolute master of it.

Example:
The Mayor is acting completely normally, but says something you don't like. (Such as "superheroes are silly")

You declare: "The Mayor has been replaced by AN EVIL ROBOT!"

The Mayor starts talking in a mechanical voice and sparks shoot from his ears, retroactively providing the evidence that you were right.

Lots of superheroes have this power. Especially the ones in Hanna Barbara cartoons. That's the power I want.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Psionicism

China

God like powers

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love the ability to transmutate. Then I would have 2 abilities since flight would be an option for me as a bird. Killer!
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could only choose one power, it would have to be the power of omnipotence.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Telekenisis would be awesome. Coming in second and thrid would be teleportation or time stoppage. But being able to change into anything would be pretty awesome too...
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Pff. Mine would be shape-shifting. Not only do I get the obvious identity benefits, but I also have a) instantaneous healing (if I can change my body however I like), which leads to a1) eternal youth and thus eternal life for so long as I choose it, and b) most other powers listed here, such as flight (I can grow wings).

I r0x0r.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be able to be phoenix-like. Whenever I'm worn-out, or injured, or dead, I burst into flame and a new me appears. Plus, I can burst into flame whenever I want and incinerate things.

*dreams of soothing frazzled nerves in a quick burst of fire*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh-my favorites are:

1)Ability to communticate with animals
2)Invisibility
3)Ability to manipulate time
4)Ability to fly
5)Teleporation

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
but wouldn't using telepathy be kinda unethical, just to randomly look in people's heads? seems rude.

I'd like to be able to fly. Or to breathe underwater. Or do the ice thing Fronzone does-that looked fun!

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
This question has come up among my friends, actually. I always chose teleportation- save on travel costs, never be late anywhere, use the time you spend on transit on something else. One of my friends suggested that if the matter you displaced appeared where you vanished from, it might be an interesting way to make sculptures.

I like the idea of stopping or slowing time, but aside from making sure I got enough free time and sleep, I think it would be awfully tempting to use the power for crime. (I also always wonder about said power- if you _stop_ time, can you see anything, since the speed of light is now zero? And if you just slow time drastically, isn't every fleck of dust going to hit you like you were moving around at several hundred miles an hour?... Sorry to bring practicalities into a fantastic discussion.)

I really liked the power that my wife came up with, though. She wants to be able to make anyone a devout follower of any religion. (All the genocidal warlords are now Buddhists... The neo-nazis get to eat kosher... That senator you dislike gets to spend his days giving out flowers and selling books in airports...)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.