FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's jargon, Tom. To use Jonathan's example, what does "selah" mean? It has implications, but you can't translate it into English.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

They really need to rewrite the UBBoard so that the last post on one page repeats on the next. <sigh>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
I never did understand that particular piece of sophistry. The water in the rivers in Egypt turned into blood. Did it, or didn't it? If it did, then the statement is true. If it didn't, the statement is not true.

How can you have a statement that is simultaneously correct and false? Or incorrect and true? Can you point to an example in real life?

"Take up your cross and follow me."

It doesn't mean you're supposed to pick up an engine of execution and carry it around.

Few people speak literally. When you "grasp" an idea, you haven't touched it. When you face your fear, you may or may not actually turn your face toward what you fear.

Valid point. That was my mistake. I agree that something can be non-literal and still be true. But if something is claimed to have happened and it didn't actually happen, I don't see how it can be considered true.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, bump this thread this afternoon, and I'll try my hand at explaining it. (I'm about to head off to work.)

Lisa, so tell me. How old was Rivka Imeinu when she married Yitzchak?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Rivka, I don't believe it says in the text. And I think you know what the Rambam says about people who take all midrashim literally.
rivka
Member # 4859

Not my point, actually. My point was that there are mutually exclusive accounts of her age. She can only have been one literal, actual physical age (leaving aside any jokes about time travel and/or near-lightspeed travel).

Eilu v'eilu divrei Elokim chayim. I happen to consider that one of the most crucial aspects of Jewish philosophy. So only one was literally true -- so what? So the ones that were not literally true were meaningless?

No.

So the ones that were not literally true have other truths to teach us. And the fact that we cannot know which one was literally true will push us to see the lessons inherent in each possibility. (I heard a speaker explain why Rivka's age matters, but it was years ago and I don't remember enough to try to repeat it.)

Tom, first of all, I laugh every time I see you post as Christy or v.v. (I still haven't gotten over your comment on prenatal vitamins). Secondly, I apologize, but I had an attack of RL on Friday.

Ok, on to eheyeh asher eheyeh (or back to it -- as I will explain, it doesn't much matter). In KarlEd's recent thread about the nature of God, there was some discussion of God existing outside of time, completely independent of the timestream. That's what this phrase/Name is about. God is eternal and unchanging, not so much because He cannot change, but because He IS. And He IS in a single non-time-unit moment (sorry, I don't know how to say this) all that He ever was or will be. Because He IS outside of time.

Now, how would you translate the phrase in a way that captures that meaning and the fact that it is actually a Name? I cannot do it, and the best translations I am aware of essentially throw of their hands in despair and fall back on the strictly literal sense of the individual words.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Not my point, actually. My point was that there are mutually exclusive accounts of her age. She can only have been one literal, actual physical age (leaving aside any jokes about time travel and/or near-lightspeed travel).

True. And that's midrash. But it doesn't change the fact that if the Torah says Sarah was 90 when she gave birth to Yitzchak, then either she was 90, or we're being lied to.

quote:
Eilu v'eilu divrei Elokim chayim. I happen to consider that one of the most crucial aspects of Jewish philosophy. So only one was literally true -- so what? So the ones that were not literally true were meaningless?

I never said that. And I'm well aware that the written Torah isn't all literal in that sense. "An eye for an eye" never meant that literally, for instance. But we can say that because Hashem told us so. Not because we wanted to come around after the fact and "reinterpret" it.

quote:
So the ones that were not literally true have other truths to teach us. And the fact that we cannot know which one was literally true will push us to see the lessons inherent in each possibility.

Same with Shlomo's age. He was either 12 or 20 at accession. I get that. But the text doesn't say one way or another. It does say that David lived to be 70, and that Adam lived to be 930.

quote:
(I heard a speaker explain why Rivka's age matters, but it was years ago and I don't remember enough to try to repeat it.)

One issue is the idea that she was born when Sarah died. If that's true, and if Sarah died at the time of Akeida, it works out. And that value is used for halakhic purposes (and I'm being vague to avoid the "ick" factor).

quote:
Ok, on to eheyeh asher eheyeh (or back to it -- as I will explain, it doesn't much matter). In KarlEd's recent thread about the nature of God, there was some discussion of God existing outside of time, completely independent of the timestream. That's what this phrase/Name is about. God is eternal and unchanging, not so much because He cannot change, but because He IS. And He IS in a single non-time-unit moment (sorry, I don't know how to say this) all that He ever was or will be. Because He IS outside of time.

Relative to us, you could say He is in a single moment that maps to all of what we experience as time. But I wouldn't say He's outside of time. It's a little like the air in my house. It isn't bound by my house, but it exists in and out of my house, and would be there even if my house weren't.

He isn't bound by time, but He isn't external to it either. That'd be limiting Him.

quote:
Now, how would you translate the phrase in a way that captures that meaning and the fact that it is actually a Name? I cannot do it, and the best translations I am aware of essentially throw of their hands in despair and fall back on the strictly literal sense of the individual words.

The Eternal? I've seen that used for the Tetragrammaton, too.
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm not going to debate you point by point (I don't see the point [Wink] ), but suffice it to say I disagree.

And the Eternal is a good start, but really doesn't do much. It also makes it indistinguishable from the Tetragrammaton (to which it is certainly related, but it's not the same thing).

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a difference in "accurate" and "literal." The article sounded a great deal more exciting than it was. Fortunately, the clergy here are only saying that parts of the Bible are not literal, which is hardly a new idea.

There are people who say they are literalists, but even they break with literalism when you ask, if Christ is the Vine and we are the branches, why aren't we sprouting leaves.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.