FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Novel-writing without a net

Author Topic: New column: Novel-writing without a net
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Novel-writing without a net

You've seen the calendar. You've felt the familiar, tingly, anticipatory dread. Soon you'll need every ounce of energy, courage and on-your-feet creativity you can muster lest you be overwhelmed and sucked into the madness of despair.

That's right, National Novel Writing Month is coming fast, and woe unto the writer caught unawares!

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is, as everyone knows, the annual assault on the dignity of literature wherein would-be authors strive to extrude 50,000 words in 30 days, rain or shine.

Begun in 1999 when writer Chris Baty convinced 20 hapless friends to get over the psychological fear of writing a book by whomping out something that at least looked like one, NaNoWriMo demands all-out, verbs-to-the-wall writing without time to edit or second-guess. Writers who traditionally get stuck creating The Perfect First Sentence find themselves discovering the heady joys of spewing thoughts out in an exhilarating rush, like champagne from a paint mixer, with similar results.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Every word of that article, chris, is not only funny, but so true.

I'm seriously considering changing my protagonist to a Viking now. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I seriously considered, along about the 3rd week, making my protagonist a Hatrack member so I could cut n paste entire threads into my manusscript...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheater!

Um, yeah, that sounds like a good idea. *snickers*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The bit about the viking dialogue makes me wonder if Homer wrote the Illiad in November.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'm convinced Charles Dickens was a WriMo.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never WriMoed before.

Next year, next year. Yeah, they'll believe that.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to join us this year. You know you do. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's already halfway over. I don't think so.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop it, Chris, stop it. I'm going to quit reading your posts. First you got me hooked on Firefly. And now you are seriously tempting me to embark upon a month of insanity.

(seriously, though, what a cool idea, never heard of it before!)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I'm not a writer at ALL, but that column had me spewing soda out my nose it was so funny! [ROFL]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by digging_holes:
It's already halfway over. I don't think so.

It starts in November. Do you have a time machine or something?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I was wondering the same thing, CrowsWife. [Smile]
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
He lives on the other side of the International Month Line.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

quote:
It starts in November. Do you have a time machine or something?
Dang. And here I had this idea that it was in October. Well, I'll just have to think up a new excuse now. Something about work... mumblemumble... not enough time... mumblemumble... I'll think of something and get back to you, alright?
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going to cut/paste everything I write on Hatrack and Sake and make that count. Oh, and LJ , too. Where I tend to pimp your articles. [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Well, I couldn't think of a good excuse, so I signed up. Whether or not I actually write a single word remains to be seen.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yay!!!!! Hooray for signing up!!! Join the madness!!!!
digging_holes
Member # 6237

See you on November 1st. And may the most rabid one(s) win.
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by digging_holes:
Well, I couldn't think of a good excuse, so I signed up. Whether or not I actually write a single word remains to be seen.

What he said [Big Grin]
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Still. Cool! [Cool]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.