FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Advice on giving a Book

Author Topic: Advice on giving a Book
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So my stepsister just enlisted in the military and she's at bootcamp. And I guess she got sick and is actually in the hospital at the moment. So, I was thinking I'd send her a book to keep her occupied. I'm not sure what to send though.

I've given her other books and she's enjoyed them:
Mists of Avalon
Harry Potter
House of Leaves
The Time Traveler's Wife

are a few of the books I know she's read.

I was thinking she might like Johnathon Strange and Mr. Norrell. I had contemplated Ender's Game but I'm not sure she'd like that one. Maybe Enchantment would be better. *shrug* Any ideas?

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'd be able to read Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell if I were sick in the hospital. My few times in the hospital, I've had the attention span of a gnat. While that story is incredible and I'm sure she'd love it, it isn't light reading.

I'd probably go for fluffier authors like David Eddings or Mercedes Lackey if you want to go the fantasy route. I might be tempted to verge more toward humor than anything serious (laughter being the best medicine and all). Terry Pratchett would be good too.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment would be a wonderful choice-- light but not fluff, an easy, fast, engrossing read, lots of humor. [Smile]

Magic Kingdom For Sale: Sold! by Terry Brooks might be a decent choice, too. Not nearly as heavy and long as his other stuff. And there's sequels if she likes it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in the hospital for an extended period, I read the Summer Queen by Joan D. Vinge, which is a sequel to the Snow Queen. I had never read the Snow Queen at that point, but the Summer Queen was a welcome escape from the reality of being in the hospital.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Street is a good choice for fun fantasy. As are books by Diana Wynne Jones.

Wish your sister luck.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Mists of Avalon any good?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd send her Discworld too.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Eragon is easy, fluffy, fun fantasy.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Make mine another vote for Discworld.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Penguin, IMO no, it's dead dull boring. But some people like it. I have never been able to finish it, though I've made the attempt several times.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah, I have some books here on the shelf you can go through send as extras. I sort of collect books to pass on.

(evil plot: declutter house: make it look like generosity)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
enders game. enders game. enders game.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Charles DeLint writes fun urban fantasy.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
has she read all the Harry Potter books, if not, maybe one of the later ones you don't think she's read.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely send Enchantment [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

(off topic)
Myr, Avett brothers at The Narrows on Saturday night. Aidan and I could pick you up. I could bring Sarah and two roommates.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
if my heart could beat- Everytime I see your name I start singing "Rest in Peace" from the Buffy musical soundtrack in my head. Is that where you got the name?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't send Jonathan Strange , and for a very weird reason...it's too damn heavy. I read a lot in bed, and that book was hard to get comfy with.

Yes, I'm strange, but why should that surprise you?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

(off topicness)

Liz - I know I've asked this before, but where is the Narrows? ...I am definitely free Sat. night [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

(off topic) Myr, it is in Fall Rivv-vah. I might be driving with someone else though, now. Do you have your car?
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like Enders Game would give her some cool inspiration. If you definitely don't like that idea though, The Golden Compass is an awesome book.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0range7Penguin:
Is Mists of Avalon any good?

I loved it. I have read it multiple times, along with the prequels.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Send Pratchett. And I'll boost the order for Diane Wynne Jones, if you can find the excellent book Deep Secret.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment. Definitely.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

No car... I am definitely not on the way to fall river! [Razz]
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. So I don't think she's woozy sick. I think what was wrong is actually gone and now she's just a bit depressed. But, I think funny is a good idea. Maybe Good Omens would be fun to send.

I actually haven't read any other Pratchett. Well actually that might not be true. But what I have read was a library book and I'm not sure which I'd get.

(off topic) I have to go to karaokee on Sat night for a friends bday. Oh yes that's right I'm going to be singing with the best of them.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.