FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, it finally happened...

Author Topic: Well, it finally happened...
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents told me when I got my license that sooner or later, something would happen. I'd get in trouble. Not an if, but just a question of when.

I don't normally speed. The most I've ever done is 10 over, downhill. Usually I stay at the speed limit to 5 over, which is pretty normal around here.

Last night, though, I had to get a friend home -- quickly. I was coming back and stumbled across a road that I knew some neighbohrs raced on because it was straight, empty, and always cop-free.

The speed limit there is 40. I was doing 70 when I passed the cruiser going the other direction. I got a court date and he told me I was practically guaranteed to loose my license. He said I was lucky not to go to jail that very night.

Now, I have no problem with the police. I'm not trying to blame them for anything. I sped, I got caught, now I'm facing the penalties. Makes sense.

Naturally, though, I want to minimize the penalties. My court date is the 24th of November. I'm enrolling in a Defensive Driving class tomorrow, and turning in some job apps today so that I'll be able to pay my parents back for fines.

I need a license to get back from my internship, and fines won't hurt me -- they'll hurt my folks. I'd feel like crap about it, but the monetary burden would lay on them because I simply can't pay. I don't want that either.

What do you think my chances are for getting community service? Is there anything I can do to smooth this process, to show the judge I'm really remorseful, I admit guilt, and I'm already working to change it?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you? Some states offer diversion for minors (keep clean for awhile and they removed it from your record)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing 70 on an empty country road results in a lost license?

Can you verify this non-anecdotally? Maybe at the DMV's website?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know where you live or how old you are, but I don't know of anywhere where you lose your license for one speeding ticket. Although 30 miles over is pretty high.

Does your ticket have a schedule of fines on it? Read the fine print on the back, if there is any.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
In Louisina, the first moving violation almost always results in a warning/probation type deal. The trooper was probably trying to scare you.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Good Lord I hope so. My ticket doesn't have anything on the back, except for a list of what violations require a court appearance, of which mine is one.

I'm 17.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

What state do you live in?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not gonna lose your license. He was just trying to freak you out.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's likely reckless - 20 or more over in most states is presumed recklessness. It will be hard to get around that.

If it requires a court appearance, then it probably can result in jail time.

Get a lawyer and have him try to cut a deal.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
It's entirely possible that the cop was telling the truth. I know that in my state being caught going 30 over when you're under 18 results in a suspended license for six months. I don't know how things work wherever HRE is from, but it's definitely not out of the question.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a lawyer. It will cost you, but if you absolutely need your license, you won't lose it. Not on the first offense. It may even save you money depending on how good the lawyer is. Of course, if he or she is that good, they'll charge you more [Smile]
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I really think the cop was just trying to scare you.

When I was 16 or 17, I was pulled over for doing 23 over the speed limit, and although I got a high fine, I didn't even get points on my license after I completed a driving course.

Then again, I lived in Florida at the time. And my parents are lawyers.

I agree with Brian. Definitely get a lawyer if you need to keep your license, just to be safe.

But don't be too worried. Some cops can be bullies.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Thirty over is usually considered reckless endangerment so yeah, you can lose your liscence over it, even if you are over 18. You NEED to get a lawyer before you go to court.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
I got nailed many years ago for something like that, doing 104 in a 75. In Cali, apparently that's a few below reckless driving.

I'm not sure, but I think in order for you to get nailed on reckless driving he actually had to cite you for it on the ticket. I don't think that you can get to the court and they can say "Surprise! Here's a few extra charges we didn't tell you about!"

Not that you aren't in trouble of course, and depending on the laws of your jurisdiction you might lose your license. Worse, your insurance will go up.

But back to my story...that was my first ticket on my record too, and my cop was a prick, so I knew he was going to show up. Sure enough, at the court appearance, the judge took away my license for a month. However, I told him that I needed my vehicle to get to my job and to school, so he changed it to two weeks restricted. So ask for mercy when Hiz Honor is beating you over the head wit his gavel, because you just might get it. Certainly nothing worse will happen.

For the record: This is not intended in any way to represent legal advice. My dean frowns on 1Ls giving legal advice. Apparently so does the Texas Bar Association.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cop was probably trying to scare you with an improbable truth. In my experience, thirty over the limit is reckless driving, and that can result in you losing your license. Jail-time is pretty unlikely, though. I mean, I've had to sit in traffic court for five hours before, and the only time I ever heard a judge hand down jail-time was when the guy violated probation or had a warrant out on him.

I don't think the cop was being a bully, I think he was probably angry with you for endangering yourself or others. Driving thirty over the limit (and nearly double the speed-limit) certainly does both of those.

I guess I'll be the guy who points out: you know what you did was stupid, right? That it in fact, even if you hadn't gotten caught, would have gotten you home perhaps <1.5m earlier than had you gone the speed limit? That no road is ever guaranteed to be empty and without impediments of some sort?

What if someone had decided to start exercising and had been walking? What if a new pothole was there you didn't know about? What if a large tree branch fell down and you didn't know about it? Hell, what if you'd had a blowout? At seventy miles per hour, a flat tire becomes more of a danger and less of an annoyance than at forty or even fifty.

Sorry. I realize it's obvious and most likely you've already considered it, and I'm sounding the reverse of my age, 54 and not 24. But it needed, I think, to be said.
---------

I have no idea what your chances are of getting community service. I think you stand a pretty good chance of losing your license. I do believe, though, that if you took steps to show remorse and work to change it, that would help. I would advise you get a lawyer for this, either Public Defender or whatever. I'm not sure if you can get a Public Defender before your court date or not; I know you can get one at your appearance, but I'm not sure how wise that'd be.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

I think that 'stupid' is a gross under-assesment of my actions.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you sign up for a defensive driving course in advance?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

I did that already.

How do I go about getting a Public Defender?

ElJay
Member # 6358

HRE, what state do you live in?
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is important enough to hire a lawyer. I'm not sure if traffic court has public defenders.

And HRE, work on a sincere apology rather than an argument. With this a first offense, it'll sound a lot better to be a repentant kid than an argumentative troublemaker.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.