FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Worst writing ever published! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Worst writing ever published!
Ted The Head
Member # 8771

- posted      Profile for Ted The Head   Email Ted The Head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I don't know what the worst writing ever published is, so I'm sorry if you clicked looking for a revelation. But perhaps you can help me.

I'm doing a project for English where my group is going to explore very bad writing in the sci-fi and fantasy genres. Now, I know it's not too hard to find bad books in these genres, but I'm really looking for the most disgustingly bad, the most over written, pretentious, lifeless prose imaginable. My first thought was 'Hey, I'll ask Orson! He must know some real crap.' But contacting the man seems dubious, so I turn to you.

Ever heard of the Bulwer-Lytton contest? I want a list of books that bad. Know any?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Eragon.

*can say no more. Shell-shocked shudder*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad cover art is often (but not always!) and indicator of bad writing. I'd try going to a bookstore and just browsing around.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the books based on Star Trek would be my best bet.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, really, almost any book written by an unknown author in a universe either created by a famous author or based off of a film/t.v. series.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. Amateurs.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
SteveRogers: Shut up. I liked them. [Frown]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Planet X, a crossover about how the X-Men traveled to the Star Trek galaxy to fight genetically engineered mutants was a REALLY cool book!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to put Piers Anthony's A Spell for Chameleon on that list. It still galls me that he got paid for that - let alone won an award.

Oh, oh, and The Crystal Star by Vonda McIntyre - that is the *worst* Star Wars book ever written. And judging by many of the others, this is an accomplishment.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree about The Crystal Star.

Wretched. Reading it hurt both my head and my eyes. And my fingers. Basically it was psychological and physical torture.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost everything being mentioned so far is award-winning bestseller material compared to the link ElJay posted (which is not just online fanfic, that was an actual published novel).

The worst writing published in something that I actually own would be the second story in this anthology. But the eigth story would be among the best. [Wink]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Really, it is awful! you should go read it!

Um, I'm talking about my link, not the ever-so-subtly mentioned 8th story in that anthology.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Really, it is awful! you should go read it!
And I think this milk is bad! Smell it!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the goal of finding horribly bad SF/F in this class? Hopefully not to indocrinate the class that sci fi has no literary value.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the Eye of Argon. I haven't read that in ages. Bless you, Tel the Head, for causing ElJay to bring it to my attention once more. And thank you, ElJay, for bringing it to my attention once more.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey, Enig, he said he was looking for disgustingly bad. Of course I'm gonna say he should go read the worst swill ever written. [Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody has mentioned Terry Goodkind yet?

*shocked*

-o-

I second sarcasticmuppet's question.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Welcome, Fyfe! Anytime!
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormblade, by Nancy Varian Berberick. I still have nightmares from my younger years reading AD&D novels. Also, anything by Ed Greenwood, and the "poetry" in the Dragonlance universe written by Michael Williams will make your toes hurt.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I'll second Piers Anthony. And throw in L. Ron Hubbard, too!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sword of Shannara" was pretty wretched.

As were books 4-8 of The Wheel of Time (I have never made it past #8).

"Fallen Empire" by Terry Goodkind (thank you, Icarus) was possibly the most painful read in recent memory.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Belligerent loincloths!
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Bad cover art is often (but not always!) and indicator of bad writing. I'd try going to a bookstore and just browsing around.

I don't know about that. The cover art for most of the Alvin Maker series is atrocious. Even at its best, most of OSC's book covers are really generic.

In reply to the topic, I'd suggest looking at most of the Star Wars books as an example of how not to write a series. Like FlyingCow said, Crystal Star is really terrible. Other books I'd "recommend" are Vector Prime, Children of The Jedi, and The New Rebellion.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay that was just, just...

that was the worst thing I have ever read.

Now I'll have to go read some Goodkind to get the taste out of my mouth.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second sarcasticmuppet's questioning of the purpose underlying this assignment.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*hee hee hee*
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.
I love this.

"Have you got a band-aid? My life fluid is escaping."

EDIT: And I'll third SM's and Noemon's question, because that also went through my mind when I initially read the thread.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, can I take credit for introducing you to the Eye of Argon, or had you seen it elsewhere first? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You can take credit, Tom. [Smile]
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that Andre Norton was a howlingly bad writer.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bad cover art is often (but not always!) and indicator of bad writing.
The speaker trilogy being an excellent example of good writing with bad bad cover art.

edit: bad writing

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
As Enigmatic showed me: Galaxy 666

http://home.pacifier.com/~dkossy/gal666.html

Trust me its bad.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I want it. I gotta have it.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
The Green Slime Awards are given out every year to the worst speculative fiction. They're awarded in Albuquerque, and http://home.att.net/~bubonicon/html/history/history.htm#past lists the winners from each year. You've gotta scroll a bit, past other factoids about the con.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SteveRogers: Shut up. I liked them.

But is that reason to be so rude? [Wink]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Sword of Shanarra was one of my all-time favorite books. Seriously, I loved the whole series.

When I first read Speaker for the dead, I hated it. Then I grew up, expanded my vocabulary, and voila... once i UNDERSTOOD the book, I loved it. It's now sitting on my shelf of "THe best books of all time." Along with, well, everything OSC.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll second sarcasticmuppet's questioning of the purpose underlying this assignment.
erm, no you won't.

[Razz]

-o-

quote:
Eljay that was just, just...

that was the worst thing I have ever read.

Now I'll have to go read some Goodkind to get the taste out of my mouth.

o_O

I'll admit, I can't parse that at all.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Mercedes Lackey

I admit, when I'm really down and need fluff, I read them, but as I'm reading them I'm incredibly ashamed of myself.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I still laugh so hard I cry at the MST3K version of Eye of Argon.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
"Badly written" is largely a matter of taste, but for "technically badly written" Bulwer-Lyttoning stuff, I would look to the early pulps: "Doc Savage", "Tarzan" and their like have been described by modern critics as unreadably bad.

They're some of my favorite stuff to read [Big Grin] , but from a "foofy English-professor" standpoint they're gawd-awful.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Roger ever forgive her? Nicole wondered pensively, crossing and re-crossing her lissom ivory legs beneath the gossamer fabric of her party dress, her mind ever going back to that horrible, horrible moment, when, overcome with passion, she leaned forward to touch his lips with her own, only to find from deep within her shapely bosom the awful rumblings of an imminent belch . . . and then, as though fate had not been sufficiently mordant, she found herself -- as she looked up into Roger's handsome and somewhat puzzled face, so recently brushed by the aroma of partly digested Coca-Cola and Beanie Weenies -- overcome with nervous reaction, yelling up at him, "There's more where that came from!"
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Battlefield Earth.

End of story.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, Mission Earth 1-10. The story doesn't end...it gets bleeping worse. Much, much worse.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire "Left Behind" series...
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
On my shelf at work is a book entitled "Jack Ruby's Kitchen Sink" that I picked up from the "headed to the trash heap" stack.

It just sounded so bad that I had to pick it up. Sadly, it sounds so incredibly bad that I can't make myself even crack it open.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
still in awe at El Jay's link...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My list:

#1) Eye of Argon, hands down

#2) Ricardo Pinto's (currently unfinished) trilogy. The only thing worse than Book 1 is Book 2, and I'm hoping Book 3 simply self-ignites whenever someone opens it.

#3) Battlefield Earth. This would've made a great 300 page novel. It is, however, an absolutely horrid 800 page novel.

#4) Any Dune novel after the 2nd or 3rd one (individual results may vary).

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Since there are people here who were unfamiliar with the Eye of Argon, would someone like to explain how the game works? I would, but I wasn't at whichever con where it was played, so couldn't do it justice.

--Enigmatic
(just wants to hear the story again)

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i think eragon is pretty bad. i actually read the first and second book, and the relationship it has with the Star Wars storyline.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted The Head
Member # 8771

- posted      Profile for Ted The Head   Email Ted The Head         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer a few questions, the project is not aimed at making SF look bad. The class itself is on sci fi and fantasy, and I thought it would be very informative to read the worst of the worst in those genres. Thanks for all the great selections.

So far, these two have caught my eye;
The Eye of Argon ("You make love well, wench!")
And Galaxy 666 (anyone know where I can find a few copies?)

Those two seem the most shockingly bad, and also not too long (not trilogies, not Battlefield Earth). Anymore suggestions in the nobel vein of these two?

Thanks again for all your help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.