FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Worst writing ever published! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Worst writing ever published!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Since there are people here who were unfamiliar with the Eye of Argon, would someone like to explain how the game works?

It's easy. One person starts reading the story aloud, trying not to laugh. If he laughs, he passes the story to the person on his right. (The person on his left is the final arbiter of whether or not he has laughed.) The last person reading when they reach the end of the text "wins."

The crowd may do anything at all to break the concentration of the reader or cause him to laugh, with two exceptions: 1) no physical contact and 2) nothing may be thrown except 12-sided dice, which may only be thrown after the first full page is read and upon the completion of each page thereafter.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dune prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson.

I actually only read the first one, but it was easily the most poorly written book I have ever voluntarily finished in my life.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
While the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ranks as one of the most unenjoyable and unsatisfying series of books I've ever read, there is one book which is so astoundingly bad that I stand in awe of the fact that it was actually published.

The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadeth by H.P. Lovecraft.

I realize it was written a long time ago, but Lovecraft's only (as far as I know) attempt to write a non-horror novel is astonishingly bad.

If you've ever seen the author's game on Whose line is it anyway? (British version), there is one comedian who always does H.P. Lovecraft. I think this book is the inspiration.

The basic plot: A guy has a dream. He has to get somewhere. He can't wake up until he gets there. He journeys there in his dream, meeting an endless string of people who tell him the three or four(unpronounceable) names of every tree, rock, mountain, river, tribe, etc. that he encounters along the way. He arrives at his destination and wakes up. I don't have the book in front of me, but the prose goes something like this:

"And by midday, he arrived at the river Thilophineas, which is called Backsnorf by the hill people of Snooldown, upon whose banks the snaffle-fish breed, which are called pumbly-squirts by the Trandool people of Nagthor, and where the grall boats of the Dintog are anchored, being unused at this time of year due to the large numbers of percursiad flame-fish in the water."

A hundred and fifty pages of this. And none of it has any bearing on the plot. Yeesh.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom forgot to add that training as a preacher and/or elementary school teacher is especially helpful.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, that link was a thing of beauty. I am in awe. Shock and awe.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually couldn't get through the first Thomas Covenant book, and I try to make myself finish books on principle.

Don't forget any of the novels based on Magic The Gathering. Terrible.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovecraft's Dreamquest is actually my favorite Lovecraft story, and that's saying something.

As for the thread topic, one of the very worst books I've ever read was Fellowship of the Talisman by Clifford Simak. Absolutely dreadful.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I just finished reading Crossroads of Twilight by Jordan. Of course, I was warned before reading it (actually I listened to it on cd while driving), so I braced myself for the worst. Plus I was able to skip a track whenever environmental details got started. So, I'm waiting to get Knife of Dreams from the library (I haven't contributed to Jordan financially yet, but I don't feel bad considering his later novels), and I'm wondering if I should start Terry Goodkind's series.

Is his writing bad? Some of the complaints I have heard are "repetitive" or "preachy". What does Hatrack think?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked that no one mentioned "A Wrinkle In Time" yet....

I mean, that's heavy duty Sci-Fi crap.
Most of the book goes like this:
"5^7hX12G. For a moment, she understood. Then she realized, she didn't. Then her little freaky brother did something really smart, but everyone thought he was just autistic."

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Atlanta Nights by Travis Tea. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia:
The Dune prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson.

I actually only read the first one, but it was easily the most poorly written book I have ever voluntarily finished in my life.

Thanks for mentioning this. I was trying to remember something about this book I picked up once other than "written by Dune author's son and someone else."

But I made it nowhere near the end of the book. I might have read the first chapter all the way through, and was stunned that it had been published.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm shocked that no one mentioned "A Wrinkle In Time" yet....
I loved A Wrinkle in Time as a child, but after some people recently talking about how much they'd loved one of her later books, I've been recently trying to wade through the sequels. I'm having a really hard time. I think they're much preachier and less interesting than the first; parts of them are so simplistic as to seem stupid, whereas other parts are incomprehensible.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I only really like A Swiftly Tilting Planet. It's not particularly preachy and the story is pretty cool. It also has very few Meg scenes, which is a huge plus for me. I was ready to kill her by the end of A Wrinkle in Time.

But even though I hated Meg, I don't think A Wrinkle in Time was particularly poorly written.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved them all, but A Swiftly Tilting Planet was my favorite.

I think we should also look at these books in context. A Wrinkle in Time was not written for adults. I probably read it in fifth grade. Just because I loved it when I was in fifth grade doesn't mean I'd love it now, and just because I don't love it now doesn't mean it's not a great book.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
The Transcriber's note at the end of 'The Eye of Argon' is almost as funny as the story itself.
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like A Wrinkle in Time. It doesn't belong on any worst-written list.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of
hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.
"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death,
wretch!" returned Grignr.

"You"; ejaculated the Ecordian in a pleased tone. "I though
that I had seen the last of you at the tavern, but verilly I was
mistaken."

OMG OMG OMG CLASSIC

The humor I think is in the poorly placed verbs. For instance, the author seems to feel a need to vary his 'speaking' verbs so that not a one recurrs through the whole peice, it reads like a vocabulary assignment gone horribly wrong.

I gotta edit one more time and just say that I am about ready to puke I am laughing so hard. Every sentence of the travesty reeks of the heady pungent powerful use of the grotesque vocabulary of the immortalized author. I am weak in the knees and must be caused to sit down, or I may faint with a flourish and drown in my own astonished thoughts flowing through my heroic and handsome head which is above my wide and powerful heroic shoulders.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, you amateur. Let the pros do it.

quote:
Crow: I think I've finally figured out how this Jim Theis guy thinks.

Tom: Jim Theis =thinks=?

Crow: Sure. You just have to get yourself into a certain frame of mind. Here, you say something, and I'll say it like Jim would say it.

Tom: Umm... "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation."

Crow: Easy. "Four, or maybe five, it cannot be told, scorr and also sevn revolutions around the red orb of heat, those warrors who bought us life to us and belong to us and also upon this sward, a land less ancient than the moulderng corpse starng blindly at Grignr."

Mike: Wow! That was really something! Try this: "I have a dream that one day my four little children will be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Crow: No problem. "As Grignr sleeping, morbid notions prnacing morbidly into his oval. `The reddish orb of heat beng in the crimson sky.' Stated the terrible fetid nightmar. And his ofspring of four -- or maybe forty, however it may be -- will hav the dark morbid hand of blood juridicating over all of Ecordia. `Not red! Not reddish! not crimson! Not rose red! Not blood red!' Sayeth Dsipk the judge. But by the fetid entrails will the small rodents be accontd."
[Gypsy enters.]
Gypsy: Hey, guys, whatcha doin'?
Tom: Gypsy, say something!
Gypsy: What should I say?
Mike: Anything! Whatever pops into your head.
Gypsy: Richard Basehart!
Crow: "Possesed of many baubles, the Sward unyielding to grignr, less noble than a fetid dog! Organ of blood pumping."
Mike: That was just beautiful.
Tom: Now never, ever do it again.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
You let the pros do it.... by quoting someone else?

Brilliant. Sad. But Brilliant

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
I loved them all, but A Swiftly Tilting Planet was my favorite.

I think we should also look at these books in context. A Wrinkle in Time was not written for adults. I probably read it in fifth grade. Just because I loved it when I was in fifth grade doesn't mean I'd love it now, and just because I don't love it now doesn't mean it's not a great book.

I was in fourth or fifth grade when I first read it, and I hated Meg from the beginning. I actually came to appreciate A Wrinkle in Time more as I got older, perhaps because I was better able to ignore the parts I didn't like. At any rate, my dislike of Meg aside, it was a pretty decent book. It was probably the first science fiction that I read, which has to count for something.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You let the pros do it.... by quoting someone else?

Um, yeah, because they were the pros, not me.

The MST3K version of Eye of Argon is a brilliant work of literature. I have it saved on my hard drive and whenever I'm having a bad day, I can just open it to a random page and know that I will soon be laughing.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.