FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Marching Band: The Season is Starting Again! (Page 2) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Marching Band: The Season is Starting Again! (Page 2)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The seasons starting again. And I have one thing to say:

I HATE BAND!

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh! In college I played in the band to keep my scholarship. And I played in the Air Force Band to stay out of Viet Nam. But, know what. I think I grew up somewhere along the way. The most used tapes in my car are march tapes. Most classic marches are strict sonata-alegero form, and analysing them makes a long trip shorter, to say nothing about safer and more enjoyable. And in retrospect, my best frendships all had serious band connections. So, I suggest you continue to hate band. But, take copious mental notes. These just may be the highlights of your bio someday.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I like band.

Trumpets Rock!

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
To this day, I will not go to parades because of marching band. I would march along in that wool suit, under the hot sun, wearing a helmut that didn't fit, my head pounding, my back and shoulders aching from holding my trombone in one position, bored out of my mind, and think to myself, "If none of these stupid* people were here, I wouldn't have to be marching in this parade."

On the other hand, I loved the feild shows and competition season.

* I do of course realize that people who attend parades are not actually stupid. I was being pejorative in my misery.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I start teaching a leadership camp for high school drum majors and section leaders next week. Preparations in full swing.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Marching band rocks! Except for the marching part...

No, its great. I just dislike how I go to a small school, so we only go to one competition every year. Steve, are there any good competitions in our (mid-MO & St. Louis) area to get involved in? We only do Band Day at Central Methodist in Fayette.

Oh well. Anyways, go clarinets, and remember the motto: Spit happens.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a 300 member marching band.....

...in high school.

[Big Grin]

We went from MI to FL to march in the 150th Orange Bowl Parade. [Big Grin] We were nationaly ranked, and were runners-up for the Rose Bowl Parade every year....the RB only took 4 bands nation-wide back then, unless your band marched in the very first parade, so it was pretty cool. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
genius- There is one at Potosi. Do you know where that is? And, if you're lucky, your school can get invited to a competition at the Edward Jones Dome.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostSomewhereDandy
Member # 9562

- posted      Profile for LostSomewhereDandy   Email LostSomewhereDandy         Edit/Delete Post 
Marching band can be a grand experience unless your director stands atop a large ladder and commands like a dictator a la Hitler, Stalin etc...Not to mention the decrease in the quality of the music our band is playing...we started with Bernstein and now we are playing some ridiculous post-minimalist crap...
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Amilia--Trombones have seven positions along the slide for all of their notes and yet you only held your horn in ONE POSITION? Was the slide stuck? Did you like play only C#'s or some other note when it came up in the score?

Since the slide affords trombonists the opportunity to "fine tune" particular notes they can be perfectly in tune all of the time, right? It seems, however, that most of them are always OUT of tune with each other.

When I was in a military band in the eary seventies, a General (3 star version) was reviewing a military ceremony where our band was performing. Afterward, he came over and spoke to the Bandmaster about how good the band sounded, but was there any way that he could get "those trombone players to get their slides moving the same way at the same time?" He didn't think it looked very "military" for the front row of the band to be in such a state of confusion.

The Bandmaster put out the word: the hell with the three part trombone harmonies. Whenever this General was going to be in attendance at a location where we played, all of the trombonists were issued "First Trombone" parts to the entire music slated for the ceremony/occasion. They were further ordered to use no "alternate positions" on the slide for their notes at all during those gigs. This brought howls of protests from the slidemen, but they complied. Well, eventually we played for that particular General again. Afterward, he came over and spoke to the Bandmaster again and said the group sounded magnificient. He also complimented the Bandmaster on clearing up "the problem with the trombone players." He said the band looked "very military" then.

Go figure!

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I loved marching band! It was the best shape I was ever in. Marching band practice was WAY more physical than P.E. ever was. Of course, I didn't really love sweating in the sun ... I just loved the friendships, which were all in band. Spent more time with that band director than any other teacher in all my school years.

I still get all nostalgic every fall when I start hearing drum cadences floating through the air from the high school (many many blocks away, I can't believe we can hear them).

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I was in a 300 member marching band.....

...in high school.

[Big Grin]

We went from MI to FL to march in the 150th Orange Bowl Parade. [Big Grin] We were nationaly ranked, and were runners-up for the Rose Bowl Parade every year....the RB only took 4 bands nation-wide back then, unless your band marched in the very first parade, so it was pretty cool. [Big Grin]

What high school was that? You had to of been flight I if you competed in MCBA.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Amilia--Trombones have seven positions along the slide for all of their notes and yet you only held your horn in ONE POSITION? Was the slide stuck? Did you like play only C#'s or some other note when it came up in the score?
Well, it wasn't so bad when I was actually playing. I got to move one of my arms, and had something to think of other than how miserable I was and whether or not I was on the correct foot. But when you are just marching along at attention . . .

Great story, btw.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago I went on a field visit for class and didn't feel well so I sat outside. Santa Clara Vanguard's bass and snare lines were practicing across the street. Oh, nostalgia.

I was the section leader of the most powerful section of the marching band for two years, and I miss it terribly. I miss the marching, the playing, section bonding, making people run a lap with their drums over their heads, band camp, drum cadences, teaching sets, crowded stadiums, long parades, traveling to be on a televised half-time show, having amazing back muscles, picking up sticks with my toes, locking, standing on the thirty yard line alone to play taps as the rest of the band marched out...

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.