FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter's Parentage (spoilers and conjectures) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harry Potter's Parentage (spoilers and conjectures)
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
sL, I'm convinced that Snape is good, just tortured. He hates Harry because he was so mistreated by James, and the two are so alike. But ultimately, while in inconsequentials he cannot quite hold himself back from revenge through cruel treatment to Harry, he feels deeply about being the cause of Lily's death, and thus won't let Harry be killed. Also, I think there is deep loyalty to Dumbledore, and suspect that he's been specifically charged to ensure Harry's safety, if not his happiness.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, Jhai, did you read the last book? I don't think Snape is a good guy. At all. Even before book 6. And I think JKR said somewhere that he was absolutely not a good guy. I'm perfectly conscious that it doesn't mean that he was not on Dumbledore's side after all, but I don't see him rescuing Harry because he doesn't like small children to get killed.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Maline's article about Snape. Here they are :
http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/thenorthtower/nt34.shtml
http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/thenorthtower/nt36.shtml
http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/thenorthtower/nt37.shtml
(Actually the third is IMHO the less interesting, it's about the vampire rumours).

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the last book. I stand by my interpretation that Snape is a good guy, in the end. [Smile]

Twisted, yeah.
Sadistic at times, check.

But I think he's really just a guy who knows about trade-offs. He's willing to do almost anything to achieve his (and the Order's) goal of killing Voldy, even if it causes himself or others a great amount of pain along the way. He may not like Harry, but he'll do what's right in the end by saving his life - just like he saved Draco, even though it meant killing Dumbledore.

Maybe we have different definitions of "good guy." I think someone can be a good guy even if he does a lot of bad things - it's not the typical "good guy" hero character that you see in novels, but that just makes it more interesting.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
While I deeply doubt that Snape is actually Harry's father, I think the fandom assumption that Snape was in love with Lily is very easy to believe.

Also, I collect different Snapes, it's the main reason I read fanfic.

I don't think we're shown enough of Snape's personality to really know anything about the man. He's a hugely important character, but we're so rarely shown him doing anything that isn't directly related to the plot that there's no way we can really know all that much about him.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.