FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what sort of candy are you giving out for Halloween? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what sort of candy are you giving out for Halloween?
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
We have a mixed bag of Tootsie Roll products.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing, since you have to fill out some permit thing to give out candy here. I'm too lazy to find the permit, fill it in, and turn it in. Not like it matters. No kids showed up last year anyways.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
IF any show up, a homemade decorated Halloween cookie, since I can be reasonably assured most kids won't be allowed to eat it - and therefore I will not have a guilty conscience about contributing to dental decay, and other sugar-related disorders.

Last year, I handed out stickers and cool pencils to the few that showed up.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Any kids that show up at my door are getting sodas.

Since really, it's either that or beer.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Give 'em beer! [Big Grin]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought candy this year (reeses cups) but it's unlikely anyone will come since the only family close are Jehovas Witness, but the last time I said that, we had a kid come, (mom's friend's grandaughter) so I just gave her a book off my shelf that I barely liked.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
We never get trick-or-treaters, either, but I purchased some Reese's Cups and Dove dark chocolate bars, just in case.

For the kids, you know.

Because someone might come.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

And just think of the delight for you if they DON'T come!

*giggles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We have some Dove Dark chocolate too, but that's not for trick or treaters, unless some hatracker shows up at my door in costume, they'll get that.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I was never one to waste good food.

*virtuous look

[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually wondering if anyone's going to come to my house. I live in an area of Ithaca where the residents are predominantly college students, but there's a school bus stop a few houses down. If they do come, we might have some Nerds. And, well, beer.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

kojabu, I think this is a sign:

Kids want beer.

They trick or treat, they come to areas where they obviously KNOW we don't have candy, and any candy we DO have we're keeping for ourselves, so the obvious next most-wanted item is intoxicants. The speed, the blow, the heroin, it's all too hard for them still and in their starry little eyes, those things belong to a world where age soaks into your skin out of the air around you and the smell of death is so perpetual you don't even notice any more, so they go for the alcohol.

Hards? Come on, they're kids.

Beer. It always comes back to the beer. Kids are getting Pyramid IPA from me this year, although any tyke with the cajones to ask for it can certainly have their go through my drug stash. If only because I'll look in his eyes, see the tired aged soul beneath, and know that he came here for comfort.

Come in, little boy, you're home.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*going to erosomniac's house for Halloween, dressed as...uh, a....college student*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lollipops. Cheap, and keep a long time if no one shows up. We've got Dum-Dums and some skull-shaped ones.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Endangered Species Chocolate Comanpay Halloween size bars. But first, we'll give away the crappy day glo candy that the store gave us when we bought The Hitchhikers Guide DVD.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
'sugar-related disorders?' There are sugar-related disorders? Oh, those poor people...
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeast infections, diabetes, seasonal affective disorder...all kinds of things are affected by sugar.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

They make endangered species chocolate in halloweeen sizes? That's amazing!
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
That was me snarking lightly, just for clarification. I'm diabetic, and DAMNED if I'm going to be cheated of a year's supply of chocolately goodness because people are paranoid about Halloween causing blah blah blah... Should those people win the stupid lawsuits against McDonalds? Look, if you or your kid can't participate in the traditional candy binge that is Halloween, that doesn't mean that you can't keep candy and have it a peice at a time, or however it won't hurt you. It's exciting, it's fun... no matter when and how you EAT your candy, it's still way less fun to get, say, a package of saltines or a toothbrush. cookies are fine [Smile] . I just have a problem with people taking it on themselves to be the food police. Note to general population: Next person who tells me that diabetics can't eat sugar I will punch their lights out.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
IF any show up, a homemade decorated Halloween cookie, since I can be reasonably assured most kids won't be allowed to eat it - and therefore I will not have a guilty conscience about contributing to dental decay, and other sugar-related disorders.
:lol:

I will be giving away glo-bracelets. I did it last year, and the kids loved it. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought 35 bags of the good stuff - Three Musketeers, Reeses, KitKat, Smarties, Blow Pops, etc. Some of it's for the kids, but I'm going reverse trick-or-treating at the hospital and giving baskets of candy to the doctors and nurses in the NICU, L&D, and the Perinatal Care Unit.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
We got the kids some gummy fangs to take to their classes. We live in an area that gets loads of Trick or Treaters. Fun for us!
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, Mrs. M, that's so sweet!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Sweet. Heh.

I think we're currently stocking Kit-Kats, Reeses Cups, and Peanut M&Ms.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Leah:
That was me snarking lightly, just for clarification . . . It's exciting, it's fun... no matter when and how you EAT your candy, it's still way less fun to get, say, a package of saltines or a toothbrush. cookies are fine [Smile]

My word! Did I touch a sore spot there, m'dear? You can have all the candy you want - you just won't get it at my house. [Big Grin] What you'll get are delightfully, frightfully decorated seasonal cookies that you can choose to eat or not to eat.

[Razz]

Last year, you could choose from a wide variety of stickers and pencils - all seasonal.

The dentist around the corner hands out toothbrushes and floss, so hey! [Wink]

*hopes erosomniac is wildly joking* [Angst] [Wink]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody ever comes trick or treating here anymore. I used to buy tons of the good stuff to give out, then take the remainder to work where it always disappeared very quickly. Those people at work are bottomless pits when it comes to treats. [Smile] But after 2 or 3 years of having not one kid show up, I quit buying candy. I think that's sad, that our national yearly ritual of juvenile extortion is dying, but what can one do?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Heh heh, yes, Shan, a bit of a sore spot. As I said, I'm all over the cookies. Yay for freedom of choice to eat or not eat cookies. I hope that didn't come across as an attack. I didn't mean it to be. I'm just generally bitter about Halloween and the dramatic increase around that time of lectures I get from ignorant busybodies about what I'm not suppossed to be eating. *grumblegrumble* It's a sub catagory of what I call Steel Magnolia Syndrome. "omg, ur diabetic!!!11!! what if u want 2 have babies!!!!11! u'll die omg!!!11" "i thought u couldnt eat sugar or youd die lol."
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Oh Shan, I'm never joking.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Where do you live? Maybe I'll stop by.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be my first year at home for Halloween in many years. We're giving out full size candy bars to whoever shows up. When those run out, we've got some assortments of Willy Wonka stuff.

Dana, ElJay and PapaMoose are the only people I know that give out full size candy. I think it's great!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We used to walk down about four blocks to a cul-de-sac where EVERYONE gave out either full-size candy bars or money! (Like, $5 bills.)

It was totally worth the steep walk back up the hill.

Shan
Member # 4550

*pat pats Princess Leah*
*Offers scary orange pumpkin cookie*

*looks askance at erosomniac*

*eats own scary ghost cookie*

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to actually pre-bag the candy (in little paper halloween goodie bags) to keep myself from giving out too much candy at a time. I'll throw fistfuls at the horrid little monsters (they're so cuuuute in their little costumes!) if I don't do that. This year I put three pieces of candy and one small sticker sheet (seasonal) in each bag. When I ran out of sticker sheets, I put four pieces of candy in each bag. Reese's, Wonka assortment, and Spree! (I just love to say Spree! Yes, please pronounce the exclamation point. Spree!)

Some of the bags have Baby Ruths in them--but not many, because That Man I Married got into the first batch of Halloween candy I bought. I bought early so he would gorge himself and get it out of his system and we could have some candy for the *actual* trick-or-treaters. This is yet another reason I pre bag the candy, so he won't be eating the candy while I am out with Our Boy in the neighborhood, trick-or-treating. Heh.

That Man I Married loves Halloween. Lots of candy! W00t!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solero
Member # 8668

- posted      Profile for solero   Email solero         Edit/Delete Post 
my family bieng billionares give out $20 bills [Frown]
i could of used that. But if the spirt of halloween dies more money for me =D

Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Leah: You and I can go clean erosomniac out.

-pH

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Any kids that show up at my door are getting sodas.

Since really, it's either that or beer.

Now, I'm sure that you know that it is illegal to give the kiddies beer. You don't want to get into trouble, do you?

So be sure to put a sticker on each beer that you give out, identifying the beery donor.

(like that nasty neighbor who plays his music too loud, or parks his car too far from the curb, or complains about the amount of dandelions on your yard)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I'll be sure to ask for ID, Tante, don't worry.

^_^

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we're giving out full-size candy bars again. We were gonna go fun size, but then Bob posted, and I got a rep to protect. Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Nestle's Crunch, 100 Grand, Twix, Snickers, Snickers Almond, Milky Way, and 3 Musketeers. Not quite as wide an assortment as last year, but certainly passable.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They make endangered species chocolate in halloweeen sizes? That's amazing!

Yes, I've eaten 2/3 of bag already (this week, folks, not today).
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a big bag of fun sized maltesers and one of fun size starburst and skittles. They were gone in an hour and a half (5.30 – 7 pm) and luckily no one has knocked on the door since (although that may be because I’m upstairs on the computer with the downstairs lights turned off!).
Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
We probably got over $100's worth of candy and Christian-themed stickers to give out this year. (It's something my husband really loves to do, so he got me into it. We like to make up bags of fun stickers, etc. with lots of good candy.)

I have class tonight, and I'm feeling pretty doubtful that my husband is going to give out the candy since he seems to be feeling poorly. I told him I'd be mad if he didn't after all that, but he won't tell me what he's going to do.

Anyway, I'll be home after 8, so I'll be able to pass out candy to the stragglers.

All that money and effort... *sigh* Here's hoping he starts feeling better. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I live on the seventh floor of a dormitory that no one without a key can enter, I bought a bag of assorted hershey's chocolates, with hershey's milk chocolate, hershey's dark chocolate, and symphony milk chocolate bars for all the children who come to my door. If they should fail to come, well that would be a shame, I might have to save a piece or two and pass it out to stray children I see at Thanksgiving, just so I can say I didn't buy it completely for myself.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I useda give Chicken Bullion every year but my hubby won't let me to that...

And I don't know why not. It comes in a SHINEY GOLD WRAPPER. It LOOKS like a tiny cookie. It's SO salty and kids LOVE 'em! Not to mention they're better for you than candy.

I useda have kids come by for weeks after halloween because their mothers wouldn't buy them for them.

Pix

(BTW, from the "Grammar Nazi" thread... "Useda" is me typing in dialect, and not bad grammar.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
We're giving out Reese's peanut butter cups . . . if any more kids show up. We had one group of five show up at 6:30, but nothing since then. [Frown]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate things, including Reese's peanut butter cups and all sorts of Hershey minis.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Sour gummi buddies shaped like Spongebob and the Fairly Oddparents and chocolate/crispy rice coins.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Dum Dum Pops, Tootsie Rolls, Bit o' Honeys and cow tails. [Smile]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I miss caramel apple cow tails, those were the bomb in elementary school.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister-in-law and I both bought candy to put into her trunk for the Trunk or Treat party. It was mostly lots of Hershey products, and the best part was the Take 5 bars. Those things are awesome! Of course we put those in the bottom of the candy cauldron *G*. No sense wasting such yummy candy on kids.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I stick my hand in the basket to get candy for the kids, it never comes out with one of the 100Grand bars that are in there.

Weird, huh?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.