FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My PC won't acknowledge the internet.

Author Topic: My PC won't acknowledge the internet.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a PC in my room that I moved from downstairs. When it was downstairs it worked fine and I could get on the internet without a problem. Now, it refuses to load pages. It's using a wireless router and the um... taskbar? Is that what's it's called? That thing has a little router icon that says it's connected to the internet and everything is working fine, but if I open a browser and try to load a page it can't find anything. Does anyone have idea what could be the problem. Keep in mind, I'm a lifelong Mac user and know very little about PCs.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you do anything besides move it? And here's another question: do you live in an apartment or dorm where there might be other wireless networks nearby?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I just carried it to my room and plugged it back in. I don't live in a dorm or apartment, and my Powerbook isn't picking up any other networks.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What's your signal strength?

And before we go any further, do you know how to use the Network tool on your Mac? If I ask you to ping something, do you know what I'd mean?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Sorry it took me almost 30 minutes to reply. The PC says the signal strength is 4 bars out of 5. I just found the Network Utility and the ping option, but I don't know what IP address to put in the box.
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say then you need to contact the ISP. My destop is hooked to a router and every so often I have to unplug the power to it, count to five and then plgu it back in and let the router go through a reboot of sorts.

Btw, I disconect the power cord from the router itself, NOT the outlet. I usually have surfing ability back within 5 mins of the reboot.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Ack... I just noticed I used router when I meant adapter. I'm pretty sure there's no problem with the router since two other computers are using it with no problems.
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
The most common address to ping is 192.168.0.1. Also, try pinging "www.yahoo.com".

You might also want to run the Internet Connection Wizard, sometimes IE doesn't know where to look for the Internet.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My PC won't acknowledge the internet.
Neither does my mom.

[Razz]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Tern, she's on a Powerbook. But, yes, she should try pinging 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 -- unless she knows the IP address of her router, in which case she should ping THAT. [Smile]

What IP address is your machine reporting, if any?

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Am I pinging the address from the PC or my Powerbook?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Your Powerbook.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Okay, I tried both the IP addresses you listed and neither worked, so then I looked up what the standard IP address is for the router I have (a Linksys something) and got 192.168.1.1, and I get all the packets back from that address. My Powerbook is using the wireless network, too, and it's only about 5 feet away from the PC and isn't having any problems.
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Try the following:
  • From the Start Menu, select Run...
  • In the 'Open:' field type 'cmd' and click OK
  • You should see a black cmd.exe window with a 'C:\' prompt and a blinking cursor
  • Type 'ipconfig \release' (without the quotes), and press Return
  • After a brief moment you should see a message reporting the IP adapter is released
  • Type 'ipconfig \renew', and press Return
  • After a slightly longer moment, you should see a list of new IP assignments and a 'success' message. If you do not, report back here on what message you do receive
  • Type 'exit' and Press return, or simply close the cmd.exe window
  • Relaunch your browser and test your connection.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Powerbook = Macintosh
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, those commands should have forward slashes:

ipconfig /release, and
ipconfig /renew

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

I could have sworn we were talking about a PC here. It sounds as if the Powerbook is connecting fine.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Yeah, the Powerbook is fine and is what I'm using right now. The PC is sitting on my desk and won't connect.

I tried the commands and for ipconfig /release it said
quote:
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected. IP Address for adapter Wireless Network Connection has already been released.
Then I tried ipconfig /renew and it said the same thing about the Local Area Connection and not having the media disconnected, then it gave a list of the Connection-specific DNS Suffix, IP Adress, subnet mask, and default gateway for the Wireless Network Connection. And the whole time a little speech bubble was in the bottom right corner of the screen taunting me by saying the wireless connection was connected and had good signal strength.
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

You have exhausted my meager bag of PC tricks (formerly a Mac guy meself).

It sounds as if it is one of the following:

- Your hardware configuration is looking for a different (etherlan?) connection. Try rebooting to the BIOS and check the machine profile.

- The wireless card adapter is not properly installed or configured. Try going to network settings under Control Panels, and clicking all over properties and so forth until your eyes cross and you start cursing Bill Gates in satanic voices.

- The wireless adapter is properly installed, but is conflicting with something else. Same troubleshooting process as above.

GL [Smile] -jvp

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Check your network connections (on the PC, in the control panel), and see if any network bridges have been created and enabled. If so, disable the bridge, and try the ipconfig stuff mentioned before.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

then it gave a list of the Connection-specific DNS Suffix, IP Adress, subnet mask, and default gateway for the Wireless Network Connection.

I misunderstood. I thought I was debugging a Mac. [Smile]

1) What did it give you for a gateway? More importantly, can you ping that gateway address?

2) Do you have a network bridge appearing in your Network Connections dialog?

3) Can you use another browser to surf the Internet? Is it possible to ping, say, www.hatrack.com from the command line?

tern
Member # 7429

Okay, so you're able to ping your wireless router at 192.168.1.1. Good, that is a first start. Now, try pinging www.yahoo.com. If you get packets back, then it is likely a configuration issue with your browser.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

quote:
1) What did it give you for a gateway? More importantly, can you ping that gateway address?

2) Do you have a network bridge appearing in your Network Connections dialog?

3) Can you use another browser to surf the Internet? Is it possible to ping, say, www.hatrack.com from the command line?

1) 192.168.1.1 and nope.
2) Nope, it just lists the wireless and ethernet connections. The wireless one says connected and firewalled and the ethernet one says disconnected.
3) Neither Firefox nor IE works, and pinging Hatrack doesn't work.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried plugging it in?

Yeah? Well, my knowledge's exhausted.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Wait a sec. You said earlier that your router's address was 192.168.1.1, and you COULD ping it -- or at least got all the packets successfully returned. Can you no longer ping that addy from your PC?

(BTW, here's a suggestion: turn off the firewall that you're seeing on your wireless network connection. It's not likely to be your issue, but it'll eliminate a random factor.)

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

I was pinging it from the Powerbook before.

edit: Pinging still doesn't work with the firewall turned off.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ah. [Frown]

Okay, then. Disable your firewall. Then type IPCONFIG /ALL (on your PC), and type here what you get back. I suspect you're not getting DHCP from your router.

tern
Member # 7429

Also, ping 127.0.0.1 and let us know if that worked.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

quote:
Windows IP configuration
host name: desktoppc
primary dns suffix:
media type: hybrid
IP routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no
DNS suffix search list: chartertn.net

ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
media state: media disconnected
description: Realtek RTK8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
physical address: 00-40-CA-41-F6-A9

ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
connection-specific DNS suffix: chartertn.net
description: D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter <rev.D>
physical address: 00-11-95-87-7E-C5
DHCP enabled: yes
autoconfiguration enabled: yes
IP address: 192.168.1.103
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP server: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 24.158.96.132, 24.158.96.133
lease obtained: Thursday, November 3, 2005 10:29:10 PM
lease expires: Friday, November 4, 2005 10:29:10 PM

edit: pinging 127.0.0.1 worked.
tern
Member # 7429

Hmmm...it looks good, are you sure that you can't ping 192.168.1.1? Try it again, let us know.

If you are able to ping 192.168.1.1, then try to ping 68.142.197.81, if that works, then try to ping www.yahoo.com.

Also, try to run the Internet Connection Wizard. That's Tools - Internet Options - Connection tab - Setup if you have IE6.

Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a wicked time connecting the last time I reformatted the dirve because my Network Neighborhood Icon was not on the desktop.

As soon as it appeard, things were great.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR.... this happened to me yesterday morning.

Have you had any luck getting the PC back on-line?

Just in case you haven't.... try this:
  • Unplug the power cord to both the router and the cable modem or whatever your connection is.
  • Shut down the computer in question. Allow for about 45 seconds to go by and place the power cord back into the cable modem. Allow all the lights on the cable modem to come back up. (Well except for the one that indicates PC activity, of course.)
  • You should be able to power the computer back up at this time and go ahead and reconnect the power cord to the router.
  • Now check your internet connection. Sometimes the cable modem and the router get out of sync and drop packets (stupid Network layer).

If that doesn't work, than just keep using the wireless connection for now.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.