FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mayfly... Odd punctuation marks?

Author Topic: Mayfly... Odd punctuation marks?
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anybody else seeing apostrophes and quotation marks as an odd collection of characters? It's only happening on this board that I can tell--and it is not consistent at all.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting that, too. Not in every thread, but in some of them.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. What's your browser? It isn't happening to me, but sometimes it does happen on certain sites when I use Firefox. Not all the time, though. [Dont Know]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Here's one: lycée

I'm thinking it might be french letters that aren't being interpreted correctly by my computer? Like the ones with accents?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I think that's supposed to be lycee...with an accent over the first e..

But I could have sworn I saw it do that in place of apostrophes and quotation marks, too.

Katarain
Member # 6659

Firefox.
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Firefox as well, and I'm having problems too.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

Here's an example where it's doing it on apostrophes:
quote:
I’ve been here forever, it seems, and never done a landmark. Some of you who I have met in real life know that there are some things I simply prefer not to talk about online. I know that may sound odd, since I do seem like the sort who will say anything. It’s true – I WILL say anything. But I won’t share everything, and that’s the way it should be, I think.
I just use Internet Explorer, and didn't have this issue until I think yesterday or the day before. I don't think I have this problem on my home computer, either (although I could easily be mistaken), and I use IE there, too.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Maybe there's an extension or something. (It's funny, I typoed extension and somehow got the "need more extensions" box to pop up.) Anyway, I'm at work, and I can't even view the new extensions. I get redirected to a page to update my firefox browser--and I can't install software on my work computer. Nobody can. So I have to get the IT guy to do it. It's kind of an annoying feature of firefox. Sometimes I want to view the extensions BEFORE I update.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using IE, and I've noticed the odd characters too. I think it's mostly with the French accents.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

So it's not just Firefox. That's a good example of what I mean, Ophelia. It really keeps me from understanding what I'm reading, since I don't have the patience to slow down and figure it out.
Katarain
Member # 6659

Ophelia, what post is that from?

And this is something I've noticed recently on the forum... I wonder if it was an update or something.

I also notice that happen with apostrophes when I cut and paste in my email, but the apostrophes get replaced with question marks. It happens on web pages sometimes, too. And also when it's clear someone has cut and pasted.

Ophelia
Member # 653

It's from Olivia's landmark.
Katarain
Member # 6659

Then it definitely is new. I didn't have that problem when I read her landmark the first time.
Ophelia
Member # 653

Yeah, me neither. It's just been today and yesterday for me.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed it, as well.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
©right
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Sorry, just checking to see if the forumware writers had changed how ' & ' operates within their program.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having problems with IE from work. I first noticed it with Vána's name. I don't think I've been to the board recently from home, so I can't say if it's working fine in Firefox for me.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I tried it in all three browsers: firefox, IE, and netscape. It's doing it in all of them.

I go home now. Hope somebody figures it out. [Smile]

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
check your character encoding. I was having that problem, but setting encoding to western took care of it for me.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

How?
Ophelia
Member # 653

I am having the same problem at home. And my encoding is in Western.

(Kat, to change my encoding I go to View, and Encoding is about 3/4 of the way down the list of options there.)

[ November 04, 2005, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Ophelia ]

Megan
Member # 5290

Ah!

Set the encoding to Unicode. That solved the problem.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

How do I make it stay in Unicode? Every time I go to a new page it goes back to Western European.
Ophelia
Member # 653

Make that every time I go to a new Hatrack page. I can go to non-hatrack pages and it will stay in Unicode.
Megan
Member # 5290

Hmm. Mine did, too.

I dunno. Let me play w/it a sec.

Megan
Member # 5290

Hmm.

Ok.

My guess is that something has changed in the encoding of the forum software. But this is a wild, uneducated guess. I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge in this area (say, fugu) might step in and give some hints.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The board is now actually encoded in UTF-8.

It says its encoded in ISO-8859-1 (also known as Latin 1).

If your browser has an option to choose character encoding, choose UTF-8 and things will appear correctly. Safari has this option under the view menu, as does Firefox. I'm not familiar with where IE stashes it, but I wouldn't be surprised were it the same place.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that fixed it.

I'm in IE:

View
Encoding
Unicode (UTF-8)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Of course, I refreshed, and it went back to the previous encoding. [Wall Bash] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

Yeah, but it won't stay in Unicode (UTF-8) as long as I'm going to a new Hatrack page, and it keeps switching back.

When I'm going to new non-Hatrack pages, though, it will stay in Unicode without a problem.

fugu13
Member # 2859

The other pages either specify UTF-8 or don't specify an encoding, which is why it stays UTF-8.

There should be a setting for this in the forum software administration panel.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

So, then, it is a forum software problem? I'm not completely on crack?
aspectre
Member # 2222

They might've inserted new code into the forum cookie that resets the character encoding back to WesternEuropean(ISO) every time ya click to view a forum page.

Then again, I first noticed it after a Microsoft update. So it could be that Window's new code doesn't play well with the forum cookie.
It does seem that Microsoft's coding changes often cause nonMicrosoft programs to glitch.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, if Hatrack says it's not UTF-8 and it is, that's the problem.
fugu13
Member # 2859

aspectre: cookies can't force encoding changes. All the pages are set to Latin 1, so whenever you visit a page your browser sets its encoding to Latin 1. When you change it to UTF-8, that's purely a browser setting, and overrides what the site is telling the browser to set itself to. When you go to a different page, it (properly) goes back to using what the page tells it to.

It is a forum software problem, and it has nothing to do with MS. The same issue happens on Safari and Firefox on OS X.

Megan
Member # 5290

Woot! I'm not on crack!

Exciting.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
So is there a way for us to fix it on our computers or does Infopop have to do something?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I noticed this morning, it's fixed. [Smile]
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't someone mention in a recent thread that this change was put in place to prevent username spoofing with the use of look-alike unicode characters? If it were up to me, I'd stick with unicode unless spoofing became a problem that couldn't be solved any other way. D'you think the mods might be ok with changing it back to how it was?

[Edit: yes, here]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I noticed this morning, it's fixed. [Smile]

What's fixed? Anything with accents still looks like a mess. See the thread I just linked to, e.g.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The things that were bothering me on the front page are fixed, anyway. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.