FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Olny srmat poelpe can. raed tihs (an email I received)

Author Topic: Olny srmat poelpe can. raed tihs (an email I received)
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interesting email I just got:
quote:
cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I
awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

If you can raed tihs psas it on !!

? [Dont Know]
Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I can read it! [Big Grin]
I've recieved this email from someone who was all excited because he couldn't spell well.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ppaa Mosoe
Member # 5689

- posted      Profile for Ppaa Mosoe   Email Ppaa Mosoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Tulry azmiang! But rscheearch is siltl slpeeld wonrg.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I msut be ililntget! I culod raed taht wohle tinhg!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Ppaa Mosoe
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I hvae lsot cunot of how mnay tmeis tihs has been ptoesd. Fvie? Sveen?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ppaa Mosoe
Member # 5689

- posted      Profile for Ppaa Mosoe   Email Ppaa Mosoe         Edit/Delete Post 
At lsaet [eidt] nnie.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I hvae nveer hread of scuh a tnihg. Too cool! (Two wrdos you coannt slepp iltncrrecoy.)
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
You think this is bad, you should see some of the emails I get in Tech Support. Heaven help our public education system.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, this is certainly winning the Oscar for most posted. Not a bad thing, just a thing. S'like an old acquiantence coming back again... and again... and again.

[Wink] [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask Blayne Bradley to translate it for you.

[Wink] Blayne

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Ah, this is certainly winning the Oscar for most posted. Not a bad thing, just a thing. S'like an old acquiantence coming back again... and again... and again.

[Wink] [Smile]

It's like Hatrack's cud.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaah not again! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Ah, this is certainly winning the Oscar for most posted. Not a bad thing, just a thing.

You are so very very wrong. It is a bad thing.

GAH!

*claws out own eyes*

And this version is even worse than the original. Now they're not just saying spelling doesn't matter, but that poor spelling is a test of intelligence! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm trying to be open minded and remember that not everyone has been here the whole time.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah, but this was an evil meme even the first time around!

*froths*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka makes me laugh. But she's still absolutely correct.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hmph... you try to be nice...
rivka
Member # 4859

That was your first mistake. [Wink]
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
Abinsniaaishelasnrtsitemtidm. The lgesnot wrod in the drioncaity!
[Evil]

Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

A brownie to whoever managed to figure that one out before reading the sentence after it!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
lol @ rCX [Big Grin]

The first time I saw this was when Papa Moose posted it some time ago. At the time, I basically filed it away under "interesting factoid."

In the times I've seen it since I have analyzed it a bit more and have come to the conclusion that it's bogus or that it doesn't describe my reading abilities. Occasional misspelled words tend to jump out at me, and passages like the above are excruciatingly hard for me to read at all.

(It occurs to me, though, that the average person reads on about an eighth grade level, so this study might just be a reflection of the fact that the average person already finds reading difficult, so it doesn't become more so when it is misspelled like this.)

:dkoonntw:

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. I simply cannot understand this newfangled lingo. What are you youngsters chattering on about?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
See how many mistakes you can spot.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka I don't believe it is not saying that poor spelling is a sign of intelligence. It is saying that being able to decipher poor spelling is. There is a substancial difference.

Nor is it saying that spelling doesn't matter. It is clearly harder to read bad spelling, I have to look at each word or group of words rather than the whole line. And it would put a lot of people off (see Olivia's thread). But it is saying that could spelling is not always a pre-requisite for understanding.

Personally I enjoyed it! Thank you ?
And Raia you owe me a brownie!

[Hat]

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
It occurs to me, though, that the average person reads on about an eighth grade level, so this study might just be a reflection of the fact that the average person already finds reading difficult, so it doesn't become more so when it is misspelled like this.

I don't think this means that the average person finds reading difficult, but that the type of stuff written on higher grade levels is harder to read. Most people read below their highest theoretical reading level (that is, I don't typically read research papers and doctoral dissertations).
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
You still have to know how to spell in order to get the first and last letters right. How many of you spelled everything right first and then went and mixed up the middles?
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
[ROFL]

A brownie to whoever managed to figure that one out before reading the sentence after it!

Oooh, I get a brownie [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
It occurs to me, though, that the average person reads on about an eighth grade level, so this study might just be a reflection of the fact that the average person already finds reading difficult, so it doesn't become more so when it is misspelled like this.

I don't think this means that the average person finds reading difficult, but that the type of stuff written on higher grade levels is harder to read. Most people read below their highest theoretical reading level (that is, I don't typically read research papers and doctoral dissertations).
No, trust me. The average person finds reading difficult. The average person does not read a single novel in a year, and does not consider reading to be an enjoyable activity.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rCX:
Abinsniaaishelasnrtsitemtidm. The lgesnot wrod in the drioncaity!
[Evil]

Antidisestablishmentarianism, right?

It was easy from context (that we're talking about words, specifically long words, and it's the longest in the dictionary), but not by itself. It's obvious from this one example that it's not just the first and last letter we pay attention to.

Rather, it's either 1) a testament to how well our brain fills in what it expects when it sees something it doesn't; or 2) validation of the theory that most of our visual processing is devoted to verifying what we think we already see rather than teasing out meaning from visual input.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the original article, it was far better (or worse, depending on what you think of it, I guess [Smile] ) written, and had a few good points.

Anyone have a linky to the original? [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I've seen this before, but Hatrack has a way of taking something that's merely interesting and leaving me cackling uncontrollaby here in my tiny office. I was rolling! And rCX, that was brilliant!

(Although, not to steal anyone's thunder, I understand there is a longer word which I know I've seen in a standard dictionary (not the pocket dictionaries): pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.)

(or: pblahblahyaddayaddawhoevenreadsallthisgarbageinthemiddleanywayss)

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(or: pblahblahyaddayaddawhoevenreadsallthisgarbageinthemiddleanywayss)

That was pretty funny as well. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I can read these kind of things, but not because I'm intelligent, but because I’m dyslexic. There is an advert at train stations with the letter mixed up saying that assaults on staff don’t make sense. The first time I read the advert I didn’t get it because I hadn’t noticed that the letters were mixed up.

For me, reading text with letters mixed up, but the right first and last letter and the right length is almost as easy as reading normal text.

I suspect anyone who is good at proof reading and can spot every spelling mistake would have trouble, where as a poor proof reader would find it easier.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
There is an advert at train stations with the letter mixed up saying that assaults on staff don’t make sense. The
[Confused]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.