FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for Hebrew speakers

Author Topic: Question for Hebrew speakers
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially those familiar with Hebrew slang. What does it mean to refer to a woman as a כפית? I would translate that as "teaspoon" but I have a feeling that's not how it's being used . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka! This is a family board! [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Roll Eyes] I really doubt it is a family-inappropriate word. I think it might be something like "cutie"?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
'Ahh, my little teaspoon!"
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, I can think of all kinds of inappropriate meanings of the word "spoon" or "teaspoon". [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Er...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with kq. When I first saw the word spoon, I thought it could be dirty. But then, I have a dirty mind. But like my mom always tells me a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, were there vowels? 'Cause my guess is that the word is "keifit", or "fun", rather than "kapit".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys think "spoon" is dirty? Don't even get me started on "fork".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Rivka, were there vowels? 'Cause my guess is that the word is "keifit", or "fun", rather than "kapit".

Nope. That would make a lot of sense! I wonder why the Milon Morfix didn't suggest that. (Although it does sometimes have trouble with conjugated forms of words.)

Thanks, Lisa. [Smile]

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
While this thread is still being read, can someone translate "There Can Be Only One" into Hebrew for me?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Yachol lihyot rak echad.

Why?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, what Lisa said. [Smile]

I didn't see this thread earlier, but that would be my guess too. There's also "cusit," which in slang is "hot," or "sexy," or something like that. But I don't think that's the word you mean. That's not a particularly nice word to use, it's kind of an impersonal "oh she's so hot" type of statement. Guys'll say it when they spot an attractive woman on the street. That sort of thing.

Ok, I'm done rambling.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what Lisa said makes the most sense.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
There can be only one? Dude... thats pretty cool. Great pick up line, I bet. [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

The hebrew lettering? Thinking of having it engraved in wedding rings. Has a double meaning for us.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Hebrew lettering. If I ever knew how to say it, I'm pretty sure it would make a great random line to say in the middle of a bout with a jewish friend (provided they understood).
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I don't have Hebrew on this laptop, unfortunately, Stephan, or I'd type it out for you. [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Thanks, I can always try to reverse transliterate and run it by the rabbi.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Other non-useful cool looking phrases we could have translated:

"May the force be with you."
"The gate is down."
"Live long and prosper."
"To infinity and beyond."
"Our last best hope for peace."
"Avengers assemble"
"I am not a crook."
"Rock me Amadeus"
"I'm Batman."
(OK, the names may be hard--but if you find something close--"Ender's Game")
"Where's the beef?"
"oops, I've done it again."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
"The ring is paid for"
"If found, drop in any mailbox. Postage guaranteed"

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have Hebrew on my computer.
Yachol: יכול
lihiyot: להיות
rak: רק
echad: אחד

Of course, echad is masculine. The feminine form, achat, would look like this: אחת

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Hebrew question.

In the Bible, when they talk about the love between Ruth and Naomi, what type of love is it? Agape? Friendship?

It seems special and I was wondering if going back to the original translation would confirm their attachment as something more specific than just "love".

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I have Hebrew on my computer.
Yachol: יכול
lihiyot: להיות
rak: רק
echad: אחד

Of course, echad is masculine. The feminine form, achat, would look like this: אחת

Thank you!

Now to find an engraver that can do hebrew...

Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's also "cusit," which in slang is "hot," or "sexy," or something like that. But I don't think that's the word you mean. That's not a particularly nice word to use, it's kind of an impersonal "oh she's so hot" type of statement. Guys'll say it when they spot an attractive woman on the street. That sort of thing.
I agree that what rivka heard was the word you just suggested, Raia...only it isn't just a naughty way of saying "sexy" or "hot". This word is considered very crude, like its equivalent in English, which sounds similar and starts with a P and ends with a Y and is another name for a cat.

However, "matzav kapit" (="teaspoon phase") means that you're laughing hysterically and anything, even saying "teaspoon" would make you burst out laughing. So maybe calling someone a teaspoon would mean that he or she were having a bad case of the giggles.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

LD, I'll try to look that up for you later.

Stephan, there are many online. I'll try to find some later.

If someone would be kind enough to bump this thread tonight, I'd appreciate it. [Smile]

Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:

If someone would be kind enough to bump this thread tonight, I'd appreciate it. [Smile]

OH, don't worry about it. I'll be able to find someone in my area. Washington DC and Baltimore both have enough Jews for there to be someone that does it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by LadyDove:
I have a Hebrew question.

In the Bible, when they talk about the love between Ruth and Naomi, what type of love is it? Agape? Friendship?

It seems special and I was wondering if going back to the original translation would confirm their attachment as something more specific than just "love".

It's unclear. I mean, Ruth has a baby, and everyone says that Naomi has a baby.

It could be a completely spiritual, familial attachment. Or it could be more. And without a time machine, we're never going to know.

That said, when my partner and I had our commitment ceremony, there were two quotes on the invitation from the book of Ruth:

"For whither thou goest I will go."

"Like Rachel and Leah, the two of whom built the House of Israel."

I get itchy scratchy when people try and use Ruth and Naomi -- or worse, David and Jonathan -- as examples of "same-sex relationships" in the Bible. It's just finitely possibly for Ruth and Naomi, and utterly ridiculous for David and Jonathan, and in either case, who cares? For all anyone knows, 10% of the people mentioned in the Bible could have been gay. We're not told anything about anyone in the Bible that isn't there in order to teach us something. It's not like these are full-blown biographies.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

sL-

Exactly. When I tried to look-up the love that bound Ruth and Naomi, Google sent me to sites that use it to justify same-sex unions. There was no evidence of a sexual relationship between the two, and I find it difficult to understand why a strong love between two people *must* have a sexual component.

My inquiry was generated by Gansura's essay that mentioned non-sexualized space and love. For a modern day visualization of the love I imagine between Ruth and Naomi, I picture the scene between Frodo and Sam when Frodo trys to sneek off by himself and Sam almost drowns trying to follow him.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm pretty late in chiming in, but the only word of that sort that I hear on the streets here in Israel is the one Raia already mentioned: כוס'ת
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Other non-useful cool looking phrases we could have translated:

(OK, the names may be hard--but if you find something close--"Ender's Game")

Ender's Game: HaMischak Shel Ender -- That's the actual title in Hebrew, that's what my copy says. [Smile]
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:

Bumping
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by LadyDove:
sL-

Exactly. When I tried to look-up the love that bound Ruth and Naomi, Google sent me to sites that use it to justify same-sex unions. There was no evidence of a sexual relationship between the two, and I find it difficult to understand why a strong love between two people *must* have a sexual component.

My inquiry was generated by Gansura's essay that mentioned non-sexualized space and love. For a modern day visualization of the love I imagine between Ruth and Naomi, I picture the scene between Frodo and Sam when Frodo trys to sneek off by himself and Sam almost drowns trying to follow him.

And there are a lot of people who see a lot of gay subtext in the relationship between Sam and Frodo. Subtext is in the mind of the beholder. Sometimes it's really there. Sometimes it isn't. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
In America, first you get the spoons. Then you get the women.

Spoons!

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pair of Hebrew speakers, once.

When I plugged them in, all they played was Hava Nagila. And, then one Friday night, they just stopped playing at all.

Thanks! Try the veal; I'll be here all week!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

Idan
HolyLand Market
Jewish Bazaar (which offers rings with the inscription on the inside, if you prefer)
Personalized Wedding Bands

ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Does the Tora translate the commandment (forget the #) as "Thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not murder"?

Or are they the same word in Hebrew, but taken out of context in the translation to Enlgish?

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It's the sixth (at least the way we count 'em). And "Lo tirztach" is unquestionably "Do not murder." To kill is "laharog," a completely different verb.

[Wink] Of course, I assume you don't actually mean "translate."

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a modern day visualization of the love I imagine between Ruth and Naomi, I picture the scene between Frodo and Sam when Frodo trys to sneek off by himself and Sam almost drowns trying to follow him.
Probably NOT the best example...I am a HUGE fan of the books, and a pretty big fan of the movies, but even I was wondering when those two were going to get it on by the end of the last movie. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

But why is it so hard to not expect a sexual component in a relationship that close?

Maybe it's different for women. In college, the girls were always brushing each others hair, crying on each others shoulders or hugging. It was normal and comforting, but not sexual.

I do the same with my girlfriends now. We always say, "I love you," to each other and kiss each other on the cheek.

I would be completely wierded out if one of my girlfriends grabbed my rear-end or gave me more than a peck on the cheek.

This is the type of love you find between parents and children, brothers and sisters. Why couldn't it exist between people not related by blood?

rivka
Member # 4859

I agree with you completely, LD.
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

Idan
HolyLand Market
Jewish Bazaar (which offers rings with the inscription on the inside, if you prefer)
Personalized Wedding Bands

Thanks! We actually bought the rings alreay, so I'm going to try and find someone local that can engrave them.
Raia
Member # 4700

I also agree, LD... my friends and I do that too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.