FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AIM bots?

Author Topic: AIM bots?
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
This morning, when I connected to the internet, I got the following message from AIM:

quote:
12:51:30 PM aolsystemmsg: AIM added a new AIM Bots group to your Buddy List.
12:51:30 PM aolsystemmsg: Send IMs to moviefone and shoppingbuddy for great holiday flicks and gift ideas. (To remove 'em, just right-click and delete! Learn More)

Sure enough, there at the bottom of my buddy list was a new group called "AIM bots" with two bots named "Moviefone" and "ShoppingBuddy."

Has anyone else received this shameless bit of advertising? [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Annoying AOL.

[Smile]

I deleted the bots immediately.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Gr to evile bots! How dare AIM try to subject them on us!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Annoying AOL.

[Smile]

I deleted the bots immediately.

Me too.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I like how they tell you that you've deleted them.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
1:03:49 PM aolsystemmsg: The following bots are no longer available and have been removed from your buddy list: moviefone. To find out more about bots, go to http://aimtoday.aol.com/aimbots
More shameless advertising. [Razz]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad I use iChat and Adium for my AIM purposes. No bots or anything.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I also use Adium. This came directly from the AIM server, through Adium.

Just you wait... [Evil Laugh]

kojabu
Member # 8042

I wish I still had DeadAim but I lost it when my harddrive crashed. >.<
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/16/1454249&tid=120

Did you see that after I IM'd you about it, Adam? [Smile]
Ela
Member # 1365

[Big Grin]
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
At least we were able to delete them.....
About the only good thing about it

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Agreed.
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
DeadAim rocks. I, too, lost mine when I had a system snafu, but I went and bought it again because I love it so much.

AIM bots are cool--but then I'm prejudiced, as I run a few. [Big Grin] However, it is very, very uncool of AOL to automatically add the bots to your Buddy List. I hate intrusive marketing, and this is definitely intrusive. Bad AOL!

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

It will be interesting to see how successful this type of marketing will be...
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
Sure enough, there at the bottom of my buddy list was a new group called "AIM bots" with two bots named "Moviefone" and "ShoppingBuddy."

Pshht... mine brazenly appeared at the TOP of my buddy list. Grr!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea mine were at the top too. I checked the bottom first because of this thread, and was happy that they weren't there. But then surprise surprise they were chillin' at the top.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
On another AIM note... I really recommend NOT downloading the new AIM Beta. The ad on your buddy list is no longer there, and replacing it are even more annoying ads on every IM box.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it ok to be jealous that i didn't get something I don't want? Because I've been on for 21 hours, and no bots added, but I have had my away message up most of the day.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I doubt that would make a difference. They seem to get sent when you sign on.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I haven't signed on. I'll sign off and sign on.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
quote:
Originally posted by Ela:

Pshht... mine brazenly appeared at the TOP of my buddy list. Grr!
mine too, i was insulted at the presumption, of being at the top. Hmph.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine came back after I deleted them. [Mad] Since then they've stayed gone, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Really? That hasn't happened to me...

(Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon. [Razz] )

Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't delete them. I usually pride myself on my computer savvy but aol and it's insidious marketing has defeated me on this one. I'm on a mac laptop. Whenever I ctrl click the menu comes up but there is no delete option. Help!

Okay, I deleted them, but I'm wondering how do I delete people from the online list?

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Just use the buddy list setup and delete them the way you would any other buddy.

And why the heck are you using AIM on a Mac? [Wink] Use iChat or Adium, for goodness sakes. [Smile]

Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of my friends are on AIM
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I have friends who use ichat to talk to me on AIM.
Ela
Member # 1365

iChat and Adium both work with AIM.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*profanity inserted* stoopid aim *more profanity*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I had 2 AimBots this morning, and I kinda freaked out because I thought I had a virus or spyware or something. But I deleted them right away. [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*curious, logs on*

Lookit that. *kills 'em, and the group they rode in on* [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

My AIM bots had a discussion with aolsystemmsg about the new bots. I am greatly amused, and post it here for your enjoyment.

(I changed the name of some of my bots as some of them are for private use).

quote:

Wednesday, November 16 2005 @ 7:6:07 PM
ChaosAIM: [aolsystemmsg] AIM added a new AIM Bots group to your Buddy List.
ChaosAIM: [omg_fake_name] I FIND THIS SUBJECT BORING.

ChaosAIM: [fakebotname1] Let's talk about something else, please.

ChaosAIM: [wibblebot01] Tell me more about that.

ChaosAIM: [aolsystemmsg] Send IMs to moviefone and shoppingbuddy for great holiday flicks and gift ideas. (To remove 'em, just right-click and delete! Learn More)
ChaosAIM: [wibblebot01] Is this what you do in your free time?

ChaosAIM: [aolsystemmsg] Send IMs to moviefone and shoppingbuddy for great holiday flicks and gift ideas. (To remove 'em, just right-click and delete! Learn More)
ChaosAIM: [omg_fake_name] YEAH?

=== spacedbot is joining cadetchat ===
=== not_real_name is joining notrealchat ===

ChaosAIM: [fakebotname1] Astounding.

ChaosAIM: [spoilerchatbot] This is an interesting topic.

ChaosAIM: [spacedbot] What do you do in your free time?

ChaosAIM: [spacedbot] This is an interesting topic.

ChaosAIM: [not_real_name] Go on...

ChaosAIM: [not_real_name] Let's talk about something else, please.

ChaosAIM: [aolsystemmsg] Send IMs to moviefone and shoppingbuddy for great holid
ay flicks and gift ideas. (To remove 'em, just right-click and delete! Learn Mor
e)
ChaosAIM: [spoilerchatbot] This is an interesting topic.

Wednesday, November 16 2005 @ 7:6:21 PM
ChaosAIM: [aolsystemmsg] AOL System Msg menu:
To manage your Instant Messaging sessions, choose an option below by responding
with the option's number (1 or 2).
1. Sign off my AIM sessions connected from other locations (this will not disc
onnect my AOL sessions)
2. Tell me how many times I'm currently signed on.
ChaosAIM: [not_real_name] :-(

Wednesday, November 16 2005 @ 7:6:22 PM
onnect my AOL sessions)
ChaosAIM: [not_real_name] :-(

Wednesday, November 16 2005 @ 7:6:22 PM
onnect my AOL sessions)
ChaosAIM: [spoilerchatbot] :-(

ChaosAIM: Rate Alert Error:
ScreenName: fakebotname1
Clear: 5500
Window: 10
Worrisome: 0

Wednesday, November 16 2005 @ 7:6:27 PM
onnect my AOL sessions)
ChaosAIM: [spoilerchatbot] That's not very good.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You just have way too much time on your hands... [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Clearly, your bots are scintillating conversationalists. [Razz]
xnera
Member # 187

Hee! They're not really "chatterbot" types. They don't learn from their conversations, and have a very limited set of programmed responses. I made them to serve a purpose (be a resource for Harry Potter RPG fans) and they do that well. It's really fun to add new commands and features to them. But yeah, their conversational skills could use some work.
Ela
Member # 1365

[Big Grin]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have to admit that I just don't "get" resource bots. I don't see the point. What possible purpose can they serve better than, say, a FAQ on a webpage?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I don't think they are any easier. If it's information that you need to reference frequently, it's far easier to have the site on a bookmarks bar.

Are there people who use resource bots who have a different opinion?

xnera
Member # 187

Are you talking about my bots, Tom?

My initial purpose for creating an AIM bot was to guard a chat room. My friends and I hung out in an AIM chatroom a lot to discuss nocturne_alley, a Harry Potter RPG. One day, my friend popped into chat when I was away from my computer for a few minutes. When she saw no one was talking, she left the chatroom. So I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a bot that would greet people, or tell them that someone is AFK and will be back soon?"

Eventually I added some fun commands that would quickly get various stats about the game for us. Yes, these stats are available on webpages. But when chat was busy, it was much easier to ask the bot for the information rather than flip over to the web and browse for it. Plus, it was fun!

Is it better than a webpage? Eh. I could have made a webpage somewhere that would tabulate all the information at once (which actually would be very cool, and I might do that). And there's some benefits to a resource bot. Since they just send text, you can access them from mobile much more easily than you can access many websites.

And I learned Perl because of my bots. [Smile] So I'd say it was worth it. My bots are much loved by the small community that uses them, too.

xnera
Member # 187

Oh, and here's another example that just happened this morning.

My dad comes over to my desk and asks me if I can access the company's intranet website. No, I can't--it seems to be down. I overhear other people talking about it. So I go over to my dad and ask him what he wanted to use the intranet for. He wanted to look up email addresses for a couple of FAs, which is what I thought.

So I told him about the directory bot we have here. He didn't know about it. I walked him through adding it to his Buddy list and sending a query. He was able to get the necessary emails that he'd been trying to get all morning--which is a long time, considering he starts work at 6:00 a.m.

My sister, who's an admin assistant uses the IM bot a lot, because it's actually TONS faster than the webpage. So it comes in very handy for her, as she looks up many people every day.

So yes, resource bots DO have their uses. [Razz]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its like asking, why have a javascript mapping API when people could just plug addresses into the mapping web page [Smile] .

Just because information is available in one way does not mean there are circumstances where another way is preferable to access it. Among other things, a bot reduces the number of recall tasks one has to make, since the bot's name will indicate what information the bot is appropriate for, moving that to a recognition task.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.