FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any NIN fans here?

Author Topic: Any NIN fans here?
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was ripping my CDs and putting them on my new iRiver H10 when I came across an old NIN album I haven't listened to in years. Just for fun, I Googled it and came across this:

NIN-The Downward Spiral Dissertation

So what do you all think? Do you think Reznor had all that on his mind during the writing, or do you think these guys are reading just a bit much into it?

(Warning: Although the paper attempts to be somewhat academic, there are quotes from the lyrics which contain profanity. But if you were a NIN fan, you knew that).

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

Very interesting paper. I do agree with the paper's thesis, which I gathered to be "Trent Reznor's lyrics are written in such a way that many songs -- in fact, many individual lines -- can be taken in a number of different and equally valid ways."

Trent Reznor is a very passionate songwrite and I would believe that he puts that much thought into every one of the lyrics. Much like I thought Kurt Cobain did.

...I wonder what happened to all of my NIN t-shirts...

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love that cd! I don't have time to read the paper right now but I'm bumping it so I don't forget later. I'll tell you what I think as soon as I've read it.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that no one can compare to Kurt Cobain when it comes to song writing, sorry peoples.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kurt Cobain is good too. But so is Trent. They're different but both good.

I think I disagree with the authors of the dissertation's vision of Downward Spiral, and with their reading of several of the songs. It's interesting that they quote Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky because I was thinking as I read this "this is so 19th century, we've gone beyond this". [Smile] Anyway, it was an interesting read so thanks for posting it. I love that cd. I think it means much more and much less than the authors claim, but that's how good music is, I guess. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.