FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AAAHHHH!!!! (warning - grossness within)

Author Topic: AAAHHHH!!!! (warning - grossness within)
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ants Eat Away Patient's Eye In Indian Hospital

*convulsive shudders of horror*

I think I may have nightmares after reading that... [Angst]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww, no pictures. As upsetting as that is, I am not really all that surprised. The conditions over there are horrendous.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also not surprised. Ants eat everything here. But yeah, that's really really icky. [Eek!]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I'm curious to see pictures but I thank G-d there aren't any because I'd be too interested not to look and then once I looked I'd regret it immediately. I don't think I'll ever go to that country after reading that, though.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really nasty, but on the otherhand, I'm strangely intrigued by really gross things, so I think it's kind of cool. But that's just me.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
And I mean "cool" in a vague "that's so not right" kind of way.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Um, yeah, Evie, I think I get your drift.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, I don't know why I clicked after reading the headline - obviously the contents would be the opposite of good. But now I can imagine feeling all the little legs....and the pincers!

I knew conditions in India are horrible, but I never imagined anything like *that* happened! [Frown]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It’s not uncommon for ants to attack diabetic patients.
Uh, yeah, actually, it is. I take care of diabetic patients all the time, and none of them have been attacked by ants. Unless India has some seriously crazy ants, in which case, they need to call in an exterminator.

Thanks for the grossness.

That may be more gross that the story about the man who had 50 maggots in his ear, but for a genuinely repulsive photo, scroll down to just about the bottom of that link.

Maggots. [Angst]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless India has some seriously crazy ants, in which case, they need to call in an exterminator.

They do, and I don't think it would help... Yeah, that's horrid they didn't do anything, though. Ouch.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well let's see. There was a topic on this one earlier this year.

Life be quite different over there.

Sometimes a little prodding is needed.

These are just a few examples to support.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... most likely nurses wouldn't be allowed to lift off a bandage from a post op wound, particularly of the eye. I think usually the surgeon does. At least here in the USA. (Tante might have a different view?) Of course nobody in America would be expected to have ants under the bandages so merely looking at the wound wouldn't help much in ordinary situations, other than checking for drainage/bleeding. Here in the US I believe the proper thing would be to call the surgeon on call and explain the patient is in severe pain. Most likely the surgeon would just order more medication. That wouldn't help much actually. The proper course over there? Dunno. Ick.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

If the ants in India are anything like the ants in Sri Lanka, this is seriously not that surprising. We have a lot of different kinds, and some of them deliberately bite human flesh. When they infest an area, they don't take no for an answer. We get them everywhere, and it's a constant battle with the ants.

As far as I know, except for our bathroom, we have no infestations in the house. Oh, and the termites trying to build a nest on the wall. But leave one piece of anything out, and you'll have a trail of hundreds of ants coming from three different directions to feed on it.

Outside, there are probably a hundred ant nests either in the yard, on the gated wall, or on the house or in the foundations or the walls. They're everywhere, and there's NO WAY to get away from them. The entire country is an infestation.

I hate ants. Hate hate hate hate hate 'em.

And seriously, I doubt that India's any better.

[/rant]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw a picture on Snopes where a man had maggots infested in his brain. I didn't sleep that night. And because of my damned curiousity, I clicked on Tante's link and now I'm going to have a disturbing day. And now I'm getting all itchy just from reading those articles. I hate bugs.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
Interesting... most likely nurses wouldn't be allowed to lift off a bandage from a post op wound, particularly of the eye. I think usually the surgeon does. At least here in the USA. (Tante might have a different view?)

The standard practice is for the surgeon to change the first dressing, unless that task is explicitly delegated.

I see home care patients, some of whom have the original surgical dressing intact. If a patient was complaining of severe pain at a surgical site, I would call the surgeon to advise, and ask if I should assess the wound. If the surgeon was unreachable, I would peek under the dressing to see if there was something obvious that would require the patient to obtain immediate medical attention. Ants feasting on a wound? Call 911!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.