FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some answers: One of these [women] is not like the others. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some answers: One of these [women] is not like the others.
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I recently put together photos of five women in this montage: http://www.deviantart.com/view/25441385/ , to determine a relatively simple pyschological fact. I would appreciate your answers to the questions under the photo.

1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four?
2. Which two look most different?
3. Which two look most simmilar?
4. Which is most attractive?
5. Which is least attractive?

If you would like to give reasons behind your answers for the first three, please do.

[ November 30, 2005, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: AutumnFire ]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I numbered them from left to right
1. 2
2. 2 and 5
3. 3 and 4
4. 4
5. 2

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't do this-- my mind keeps flipping between differences and similarities, and 1, 2, and 5 all look equally different from the group as a whole.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
1. 2 (everyone else has pointier or more delicate chins)
2. 2 and 4 (coloring and facial structure)
3. 2 and 3 (coloring and facial structure)
4. 5
5. 1

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
LTR:

1. 5
2. 2 and 5
3. 3 and 4
4. 4
5. 5

I really don't know how to explain all my answers.. but for question #3, they have the same smile.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input! The results are breaking down rather interestingly. Keep 'em coming!
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? #5
2. Which two look most different? #2 & #5
3. Which two look most simmilar? #3 & #4
4. Which is most attractive? I'd have to know them first
5. Which is least attractive? ditto

Sorry, I know that's not helpful. Picking on physical characteristics from those photos, I'd say #5 is the most physically "striking" and #2 is the least.

"Attractive" goes way overboard as a descriptive term, in my opinion.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? #2; totally different face configuration

2. Which two look most different? #2 and #5; face; smile; #2 seems really outgoing type, while #5 seems a very "quiet" person; Also, I'm guessing clothes don't count, right?

3. Which two look most similar? #3 and #4; facial expression and general form of the face

4. Which is most attractive? Physically attractive: I'm torn between #1 and #4, but I think I'll go with #1. #3 and #4 have a kind of "shining", top-model beauty, while #1 is on the calm, quiet beauty side, and that's why I like her best on first glance. #5 is *too* quiet. [Smile]

5. Which is least attractive? Again, based on looks only I'd say #2. Her smile seems a bit forced and the general form of the face is less "feminine" than that of all the others.

[ November 20, 2005, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 2
2. 2 and 1
3. 1 and 3
4. 1
5. 5

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
1, 3, and 4 look like the same young woman to me.

1. 5
2. 2 and 5
3. 1 and 3
4. 5
5. 1

[ November 20, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
1. I'm torn between 2 and 5, but in the end I think there are more differences for 2 (bangs, chin, thinner lips).

2. 2 & 5: 2 for the reasons above; 5 for the wider cheekbones, the cleft in the chin, the shade of her hair.

3. 3 & 4: Similar width of cheek bones, similar smile, similar eyebrows.

I agree with Bob that it's hard to say which is most or least attractive based on simply looks. I also think there's a certain element of imposing a personality on the people, based on what they're doing in the photo, that influences my opinion of them. For example, while #3 is pretty, I dislike the way she's looking at the camera; it's a glamour-shot-style photo, but that look makes me feel as if I weren't the intended audience for that photo. Meanwhile, #2, while perhaps not fitting the norm for physical beauty, looks far more like someone I'd want to spend time with. I find #1 to be the most physically striking in terms of looks, though, while #4 kind of looks like a sorority chick.

And, for some reason, I expect #5 speaks with an accent. I couldn't tell you why, though, and I spent a good couple of minutes looking at her face trying to figure that out.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided that I'm mildly afflicted with prosopagnosia; faces confuse me. My first thought at looking at them is that they were all the same person. Then I decided that they were two different people. Then I decided that they were, indeed, five different people, but by this point, I was too confused to start deciding which were the most similar, different, attractive or not.

Maybe if I got to know them better, I'd do better at this. [Dont Know]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
1. 5 - she looks a little ethnicly different from everyone else

2. 2+5 - 5's coloring and facial structure and 2's coloring and facial structure seem to contrast the most

3. 3+4 - they have similar smiles, and similar faces

4. 1 - she looks the most natural and at ease

5. 2 - she isn't actually unattractive, but her expression seems too intense

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? 5, She is the only one not posing for the camera and she has darker skin than the others

2. Which two look most different? 2 & 5 Again with the dark skin for 5 compared to the fair redhead in 2

3. Which two look most simmilar? 1 & 2 both are fair red heads with light eyes, 3 is pretty similar to 1 as well but not as close as 1 & 2

4. Which is most attractive? 4 I guess, they are all cute though
5. Which is least attractive? 1 (she just looks pissed off)

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 5
2. 5 & 1
3. 1 & 3
4. 5
5. 2

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had some difficulty being "authoritative" on this, since #2 just wasn't a very flattering picture OR a very flattering haircut. In fact, I suspect that #2 would look a lot like #3 with some makeup and a wig.

2. #2 and #5
3. #3 and #4

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AutumnFire:
Hi, I recently put together photos of five women in this montage: http://www.deviantart.com/view/25441385/ , to determine a relatively simple pyschological fact. I would appreciate your answers to the questions under the photo.

Facially, Number 2 looks the least like the other four. The others all have oval-ish faces, but she has a much broader one. Granted, the bangs make her face look even broader.

In terms of general impression, Number 5 looks the least like the others. The others all give off a very active, gregarious vibe, but she seems more solitary and inwardly directed.

quote:

I think Numbers 2 and 4 are the most different. Number 2 seems pretty butch, and Number 4 is pretty femme.

quote:

I think Numbers 4 and 5. Both have dark hair. But then, Numbers 1 and 3 have the most similar faces. Tough call. I think I'll stick with 4 and 5. That's my final answer, Regis.

quote:

I think Number 5. She has this dreamy look on her face that's really appealing.

quote:

I guess maybe Number 2. I feel bad saying that, but that's just me. It's hard to tell from pictures.

quote:
If you would like to give reasons behind your answers for the first three, please do.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
1. 2
2. 1 and 5, very different face shapes, different hair color
3. 1 and 3, same face shape, similar hair
4. 4
5. 2

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariah
Member # 8773

- posted      Profile for Pariah   Email Pariah         Edit/Delete Post 
1.) 5 - She has a different skin tone, and hair color
2.) 2,5 - 2 Has a much rounder chin than all the others, 5 (same as above)
3.) 3,4 - Same chin-line, same smile, same nose.
4.) 5
5.) 3

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which looks the least like the other 4?

#2 and #5

3. Which two look most similar?

#3 and #4

4. Which is most attractive.

So, will you be telling us what this is for, once you've collected the data you need?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
1.) 2 - bangs, and the picture is less sharp
2.) 2&4 - chin shape, hair and skin color
3.) 1&3 - hair color, face/nose shape, angle from which they're looking at the camera
4.) 4
5.) 2

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
1 to 5 left to right.

1. #5. 1 and 2 look similar, 3 and 4 look similar.
2. 2 and 4
3. 3 and 4
4. 3 (only because the photo is the most flattering) The other girls aren't ugly.
5. 2

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? #5
2. Which two look most different? 3 and 5
3. Which two look most simmilar? 3 and 4
4. Which is most attractive? 4, but I would most likely be friends with 5
5. Which is least attractive? 2

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
1. 5
2. 2 and 5
3. 2 and 3
4. 3 (only because the picture shows her at her best)
5. 1

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
1) 5. She has a dimpled chin, which none of the others have. Plus her hair is dark, when three of the others have light hair. 4 has dark hair as well, but she also has a VERY similar face to number three. I would pick number 2, because she has a more round, strong face, but she has some similar facial features as number four.

2) 2 and 5. No question.

3) 3 and 4. Like I said, very similar facial features. Thier jawlines are almost identical.

4) 3. She has a great picture here. I think 1 is also a very pretty girl, and if she were smiling she might have gotten my pick.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? 5 - she has different (more defined) bone structure than the other 4
2. Which two look most different? 2 and 5 - coloring and facial features are nothing alike
3. Which two look most similar? 2, 3, and 4 - they look like almost the same person except for differences in hair color and shape of the nose, and 2's eyes are squinted quite a lot
4. Which is most attractive? 3 or 4 - both have friendly eyes and a pleasant smile
5. Which is least attractive? 2 or 5, though it is difficult to tell exactly how 5 would look from straight on

(also posted on devart)

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 3 - because she's the most glammed up.
2. 2, 5 - violin woman cuz of ethnicity, USC I'm not sure why.. maybe the hair
3. 1, 3 - probably because they're pictured by themselves
4. 4
5. 3

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? 2

2. Which two look most different? 2 & 5

3. Which two look most simmilar? 3 & 4

I'm not sure I want to answer 4 & 5. Do you have authorization from the subjects in the photos to use their photos in this way?

Not to give you a hard time or anything, but I would hate finding out that people have been making "hot or not" comments about my pictures without my knowledge. [Wink]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Good question, Beren One Hand.

I'd be willing to bet that someone involved with this test either is or has the knowledge of a young woman who is multiply represented in some of these photos. That's just my read of it, though, and it doesn't address the voluntariness of all participants.

Actually, the photos themselves shouldn't be used at all without permission of whomever holds copyright, but that's a different sort of issue.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah CT, that's my take on it as well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The one with the violin looks the most dis-similar - it's the chin and the shape of the jaw.

They're all beautiful, every one of them.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, arivl is listed as "male" in deviantART, so we know he is not one of the girls.

I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent explanation for this, but I just wanted to make sure that's all. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
1) 2
2) 2 and 5
3) 1 and 3
4) 1 but mostly because she looks like someone I know
5) 2

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Least like the other 4 is the one on the far left. I'm not sure why. It took me a long time to decide this. To me the two on the left look different from the three on the right because of coloring.
2. Most different are second from the left and far right because their coloring is so different.
3. Most similar are the one in the middle and the one immediately to her right. Those two could be the same girl.
4. Most attractive is the one on the far right. Because she's focused on playing the violin, and not on the camera.
5. Least attractive (they're all attractive) is the one on the far left, maybe because she's not smiling as much in this picture.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Noemon, have you been reading my mind again?)

Attractiveness is such a matter of presentation and context. I was absolutely floored to learn that this picture (Marissa Ribisi as the redheaded Cynthia of Dazed and Confused) and this other picture are of the same woman (same actress and Independent Spirit awards, albeit eight years later).

Simply floored.

Edit: fixed link. And I can see the similarity now that I know, but when I googled "Marissa Rubisi" after first seeing her in DaC -- as she looked kinda familiar, and so many actors* had early breakout roles in that film -- I was astonished.

*(Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, Parker Posey, Joey Lauren Adams, etc.)

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
They're all attractive, I think, and of course you can't tell from a picture. But I find it interesting that there's absolutely no consensus on who is most and least attractive in these pictures. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I think my gut reactions to the "attractiveness" question have changed as I've gotten older. I find a real gut-level dislike in my reaction to the presentation of certain personality features in pictures, moreso than when I was younger. I also find different features catch and hold my interest now.

Unfortunately, I'll have to admit that I have an immediate aversion to people who look like someone I've disliked in the past, too. When I was younger, there were so many fewer people to dislike. *wry grin

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
We're all beatiful, unique snowflakes, and we're all winners at life.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Bite me, Stormie.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I included clothing in my perspective because I've found that the way one dresses can often indicate a lot about the person. If you could note me as to what this is for, that'd be great. *also posting this at dA, FYI*

The one in the USC shirt. She does not give the appearance of taking care of herself quite as much as the others.

The one in the Elmo shirt and the one with the violin. The former gives the appearance of assertiveness. She also appears to be a bit more of a person who sees people. The latter carries a more whispy, less concrete appearance. Less concerned with people and more poetic in looks. Part of this is likely due to the presence of the violin in the picture.

The girl in the green and the girl to her right. They're wearing almost the exact same smile and they are dressed in what seems to be similar levels of neatness.

Probably the girl with the violin. She has a clean appearance and her expression is intriguing in this photo.

The girl in the USC shirt. She honestly does not look like she cares about how she looks. She just appears very sloppy in dress and such things tend to spill over to how one carries themself, how they keep their living area, and a number of other things. Not always (especially as there are any number of possibilities for why she'd be dressed as such and all that at the time of the photo), but often it is true.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 2
2. 2 and 5
3. 3 and 4
4. 3
5. 2

I was wondering if they were all the same person, and I'm not suprised to find that out. So what are your conclusions, AutumnFire?

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
(numbered from left to right)

2 and 3
1 and 3

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

"The girl in the green and the girl to her right."

Which girl is in green? [Confused]

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
The one to the left of the one to the right of the girl in green. I think.

---

She's probably talking about the girl in the 3rd picture (from left or right, take your pick [Wink] ), although to me that dress seems blue, not green.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The girl in the USC shirt. She honestly does not look like she cares about how she looks. She just appears very sloppy in dress and such things tend to spill over to how one carries themself, how they keep their living area, and a number of other things.
So if I wear jeans and a shirt it means I don't care about how I look?

1. 5
2. 2 and 5
3. 3 and 4
4. 2
5. toss up between 1 and 4

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

The girl in green is the one in blue? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Wink] Ok, I see now how the blue can be seen as green. Kind of weird how when you think of green when you look at the dress you see it as green.
Noemon
Member # 1115

::thinks of green::

Nope, still looks blue to me.

quote:

I was wondering if they were all the same person, and I'm not suprised to find that out.

Tern, where did someone in the know confirm that? I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that 1-4 were the same person, but if someone in the know confirmed it, I missed it.

quote:
(Noemon, have you been reading my mind again?)
:: puts mind reading device behind back ::

Why, whatever could you be talking about?

GaalD
Member # 6222

I want to be in the know. How do I get there?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I don't think it has been confirmed, either. It just looks quite possible to me from the bone structure (certainly so for 1,3 and 4, and possibly 2), and it does seem to be the way these sorts of quizzes are structured, but I don't think we've had any real answer as to that.

I'm now assuming that AutumnFire is waiting awhile to gather more responses, or perhaps is away from the computer for a few days. I'll check back in later in the week, as I am curious to find out.

AutumnFire
Member # 7320

I am indeed waiting for more answers, but in the meantime i'd be happy to hear your speculation.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.