FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some answers: One of these [women] is not like the others. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some answers: One of these [women] is not like the others.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
What other sort of speculation do you want? I'd be happy to offer more details, but I'm not sure just what you are hoping for.

And you do have the copyright permission for all five pictures, yes? (just to keep it clear, that is.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 5 (dimple in her chin)

2. 5 & 2 (dimple and the noses are different)

3. 1 & 3 (same facial structure, noses)

4. 4 (That photo reminds me of a friend of mine so that's probably influencing it. [Smile] )

5. 2 (Gosh, it does feel icky to say that)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 

2& 5

3 & 4

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four?

#5 She appears to be Jewish.

2. Which two look most different?

#2 and #5

3. Which two look most simmilar?

#1 and #2, though #4 and #5 look a lot alike (just, you know, different sub-races.)

4. Which is most attractive?

5. Which is least attractive?

They are all attractive except #2. And I would wager that's because it's a bad picture.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
1.) 5
2.) 2 & 5
3.) 4 & 5
4.) 1
5.) 2

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
#5 She appears to be Jewish.

She looks Hispanic to me...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
With 1 being the leftmost and 5 being the rightmost, and ignoring as much as I can backgrounds, clothes, hairstyles, etc. (I assume this is what is meant by considering only "permanent characterstics"):

1. 2 (face seems a lot flatter than the others)
2. 2 and 5 (2's face is flat and hair is red, 5's face is angular and hair is blackish)
3. 4 and 5 (similar hair color and cheekbones)
4. 2
5. 4

Regarding questions 4 and 5: For "most attractive" I went back and forth between 1 and 2 for a while, but I went with 2 because her difference from the rest of the group made her seem more attractive. She also has a nice energetic tomboyish look to her, although that's probably due to the clothes. For "least attractive" I went with 4 because her face looks fat and her smile looks (if you'll excuse me) "slutty." Her clothes don't help. As for the others, 3 looks like a pretty run-of-the-mill dressed-up girl, 5 looks intriguing but very cold, and 1 radiates an attractive sense of power and control which is, however, undermined by her childish Elmo shirt.

(Looking at the faces, I think 1 and 3 are the same person, as are 4 and 5.)

[ November 21, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Omega M. ]

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Going L to R

1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? 2
2. Which two look most different? 2,5
3. Which two look most simmilar?1,3
4. Which is most attractive?3
5. Which is least attractive?2

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm ready for the answers now. What is this about? Are any of these pictures the same person as any of the others? Come on! Don't keep us in suspense forever! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think we're all ready. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're all new Jatraqueras and we're going to find out that we've mortally insulted at least 3 of the 5.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 5 strong mediterranian features.
2. 2 and 5
3. 1 and 2
4. 1
5. 5; not that she is unnatractive.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
well....?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Which one of these women looks least like the other four? #5. her face is smaller, her skin tone is not as pink, dimple in her chin, looks more exotic.
2. Which two look most different? #1 and #5. Totally different bone structure and skin/hair.
3. Which two look most simmilar? #3 and #4. Smiles, eyes, cheekbones, chins look alike to me.
4. Which is most attractive? #5. Beautiful skin, shiny hair, small nose, cute dimple in her chin, exotic, playing a violin.
5. Which is least attractive? #2. Partly because her hair isn't cut right and she's wearing "schlumpy" clothes. Her skin looks a little ruddy and her chin is a bit wide. Still cute though, none of the girls are unatractive.

I didn't read any posts after your first one so I wouldn't be biased. I'll go read them now.

[ November 28, 2005, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Treason ]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 5
2. 2 and 5
3. 3 and 4
4. 5
5. 1

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 2--Her face is rounder, her eyes are smaller. The others all have hair styles more off the face than she does. Her picture is also slightly out of focus.
2. 1 and 4--1's face is long and angular, 4's is short and round. They're coloring is completely different.
3. 1 and 3--they look like sisters.
4. 5--She has a violin.
5. 3--don't know why.

I tried not to think too hard. If the first question had been last I would have answered 5.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

Maybe we could get an estimate of when we'll find out the point of this experiment?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
1) 5
2) 2 & 5
3) 1 & 4
4) 4
5) 2

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
1. 5 (not looking at the camera, different facial structure, cleft chin, nose, jawline)
2. 1 and 5
3. 3 and 4
4. 5
5. 2

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
AutumnFire, please edit the thread title when you tell us the answers. Until then I'm going to ignore this thread.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I went back and tabulated results so far, for anyone interested (these are approximate, since I'm sure I misread some posts):

Least like others-
5=24 votes (59%)
2=15 votes (37%)
1=1 vote (2%)
3=1 vote (2%)
4=0 votes (0%)

Most different-
2&5 = 29 votes (69%)
1&5 = 5 votes (12%)
2&4 = 4 votes (10%)
2&1, 3&5, 2&3, 1&4 = 1 vote each (2%)

Most simmilar-
3&4 = 22 votes (52%)
1&3 = 11 votes (26%)
4&5 = 3 votes (7%)
1&2 = 3 votes (7%)
2&3 = 2 votes (5%)
1&4 = 1 vote (2%)

Most attractive-
5 = 16 votes (42%)
4 = 11 votes (29%)
1 = 6 votes (16%)
3 = 4 votes (11%)
2 = 1 vote (3%)

Least attractive-
2 = 23 votes (61%)
1 = 8 votes (21%)
3 = 3 votes (8%)
5 = 3 votes (8%)
4 = 1 vote (3%)

I think that 1-4 are the same girl at different life stages (at a guess, 2=10th grade, 1=11th, 3=12th, 4=college freshman) and number 5 is a friend.

[ November 28, 2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure. 1 seems to have greenish hazel eyes while 3 and 4 have dark brown looking eyes. Although, it could be my computer, or color changing contacts.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Does she have two eyes that are both the same size?

Sorry, been waiting for the Sesame Street references to fly.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any responses in an effort to limit being influenced by others observations.

Question 1. This is tough. I'm gonna have to have several responses here. Physically, #2 has a broad face and that seperates her from the others but expression-wise #1 seems the least content or happy. #5 is the only one truly engaged in something (also has a prop) I'm gonna go with #1 because she doesn't seem as happy or content.

Question 2. I'm not certain as to your intent here. There are two interpretations of this. Do you mean which two are most different from each other, or which two deviate from the class as a whole. I'm going to answer which two seen different from the whole. I think numbers 1 and 5 are different because they are the two without big smiles.

Question 3. I'm going with numbers 3 and 4 because of the shape of the face and the quality of their smile.

Question 4. I'm torn between number 3 and number 5. The emotion and obvious enjoyment that # 5 exudes makes her very attractive, but I'm gonna have to say number 3, again becaue of the quality of her smile.

Question 5. I'm having a hard time deciding between numbers 1 and 2. Two is smilling but I'm not fond of her broad face and chin but number 1 seems almost angry and I don't find that attractive. That's the best I can do.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Autumnfire are you going to tell us the point of this quiz or rather if two women are the same? [Big Grin] I hope you got enough responses.
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Autumnfire hasn't posted at all since s/he started this thread on 11/20. So I'm not real hopeful of the answers showing up.

I, also, think the women are all the same, incidentally.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
They can't all be the same person. 1 has green eyes. Most of the others have brown. You can't really tell 2's eye color.

Still waiting for the psychological fact.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that I see from the data is that people tend to think the most attractive and the most unattractive person look least like each other. Which isn't surprising.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any hope of AutumnFire posting an answer either. Especially since s/he never posted an answer in his/her other thread like this.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I, also, think the women are all the same, incidentally.
So do you think that #5 was photoshopped then? She looks to me like a different person, although I agree with you that the other four are all the same person.

I'll be pretty irritated if AutumnFire doesn't show back up and explain what this is all about. Used, and all that.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it occurs to me that part of the information we're wondering about could be in the thread's title.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay folks, thank you all so much for your time and effort. I especially appreciate your explanations behind your answers. The intention of this experiment was to determine if

1. If these women conform to a particular physical "type."

2. If women 3 and 4 look distinctly simmilar even within the confines of this particular selection.

As far as the selection process goes, four are women that I personally have found attractive at one point, and one (number 2) is a control who I believe to be objectively attractive, and superficially similar to the others but who I have never been attracted to.

All five are different people (sorry to dissapoint) but the fact it was often assumed that they weren't is indicative of the answer to question 1 (and also of people's general scepticism of the stated purpose of a pyschological survey).

The results at last count from a tally of multipe sources are:
QUESTION 1
2 x21
3 x4
5 x33

QUESTION 2
1,2 x2
1,5 x7
2,3 x2
2,4 x5
2,5 x38
3,5 x2

QUESTION 3
1,2 x2
1,3 x13
2,3 x5
3,4 x33
4,5 x2
(2,3,4)

QUESTION 4
1 x11
2 x3
3 x8
4 x16
5 x16

QUESTION 5
1 x7
2 x33
3 x7
4 x3
5 x4

Thank you all again for your generosity.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

1. If these women conform to a particular physical "type."

2. If women 3 and 4 look distinctly simmilar even within the confines of this particular selection.

Can you explain why this is worthy of a survey?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

Can you tell us more about how you thought the survey would work out, and why?

The difference in hair color alone was enough to make me rule out 3 and 4 as most similar; what made you think they might be?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.