FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Teacher has sex with 14-year-old boy. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Teacher has sex with 14-year-old boy.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Linky.

That happened in my old neighborhood. Wow. Is it just me, or does Florida have an inordinate number of teacher-student sex scandals?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
And if the teacher had been male and the student female, do you think the teacher would be getting probation?

She should be doing time in prison.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

It did. And it happened a few times with a few different teachers, as I recall.

And I think they were mostly in Florida.

As a matter of fact, at my school, a teacher was fired after having been under investigation by the FBI for sexual emails to a student. *wanders off to find article*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a French teacher in middle school who stalked female students. Luckily, he's been fired and indicted.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the gym teachers from my old high school is currently under investigation and has been fired for having sex with his students.

Sickening, stupid people.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Berkeley Prep.

Yup.

-pH

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this link for more info. My favorite part is this quote from her attorney:
quote:
Fitzgibbons said in July that plea negotiations had broken off because prosecutors insisted on prison time, which he said would be too dangerous for someone as attractive as Lafave.
Pretty people can't do time! When will people learn?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow am I glad that a hot teacher didn't have sex with me when I was 14.

Not to belittle her crime, but I would bet dollars to donuts that the "victim" still considers that day the best day of his life.

I understand why the laws are there, and agree with their necessity, but forgive me if I don't shed any tears for him.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the 'victim' and her were kind of dating, if I remember right from the original article, back when this story first broke.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The victim in quotes thing is making me uncomfortable.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pretty people can't do time! When will people learn?
I know just how she feels.

Smokey is too pretty to go into the kennel for boarding when we're away. It wouldn't be safe.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope that judge realizes what a laughingstock he'll be from now on. I wait in rapture for next season's Law and Order. ^___^
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's insensitive of me, but I remember being 14, and consensual sex with a twenty-something would not have been I would've thought I needed protection from.

I know that a 14 year old can't have consensual sex, not being of the age of consent. But I knew plenty, male and female, who did. I thought it was a bad idea for the most part.

But I think X's point was that the victim was probably not all that traumatized by the incident.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did I think smokey was a black chow and lab mix?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to state that when i was 14, I would have... Sorry, there is no delicate way of putting this... I would have cut my left nut off to loose my virginity to a woman as attractive as that one... I mean just imagine how many boys thought of this reading teacher as they lay in their beds drifting off to sleep...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Pleasure does not preclude harm.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry, there is no delicate way of putting this...
How about "Would have really, really, really liked to . . . "?

quote:
I would have cut my left nut off to loose my virginity to a woman as attractive as that one...
After you do that a couple of times, though, it loses its allure.

-o-

I'm intrigued by the notion that the attractiveness of the person to whom you lose your virginity has some long-term importance. Do you keep a picture of your first partner in your wallet and pull it out to compare?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Why did I think smokey was a black chow and lab mix?
Yes. Can't you see the oriental features in the eyes?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Well of course he's part chow, that's obvious from his snout and ears.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the first one is the one that you'll never forget at any point in time... unless you were intoxicated... in which case... it shouldn't count...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Does the sex feel better if she's more attractive? Are you more ashamed if she's not?
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Ummm I think you can ask Breyerchic about me and my lack of shame... It's just one of those things, you want your first time to be perfect, I know mine wasn't, but I also don't have a great track record...

Are you saying that you as a 14 year old male, wouldn't have loved to loose it to that attractive woman?

Olivet
Member # 1104

See, if it was 14 year old girl and 25 year old, extremely HOT male teacher, you wouldn't be using the "victim" quotes, even if the girl in question really enjoyed the sex. It wouldn't be an issue.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

In any case where it was consensual, even if not legal, I'd use the quotes...
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Smokey is chow/golden retriever. And female, or would this even be an issue . . . [Wink]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After you do that a couple of times, though, it loses its allure.
Okay, that was just the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time.

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:

Amen.

Incidentally, I think the quotes should be used around "consent" in the circumstances of a 14 year old rather than "victim".

That child (yes, he's a child) is a victim. Regardless of how attractive the teacher is.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well put, imogen.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Then would you say that in a case of a 17 year old with an attractive 28 year old, the 17 year old, who is still legally a child, is a victim?
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Stryker, she's not that good looking. I can't even back you up on that.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

ehh... I was more sticking around because it seemed that I was on trial....
Icarus
Member # 3162

I would say that if you are a child, legally, intellectually, and in terms of experience--as a seventeen-year-old is--and you have sex with someone who is half-again as old as you are, yes, you have been in an unequal relationship, with someone who, as far as the evidence shows, has some issues relating with other adults, and must therefore sleep with children in order to be on a superior footing. I would say that such a relationship is unethical, unhealthy, and predatory. And as the younger person, the one less likely to be intelligent enough to say no, the one naive enough to think this is a good thing, you are the victim. And the "adult," who should have known better but did not care, is the victimizer.

Yes.

That answer your question? [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Originally posted by J T Stryker:
Then would you say that in a case of a 17 year old with an attractive 28 year old, the 17 year old, who is still legally a child, is a victim?

If that 28 year old happened to be that child's teacher, certainly.

Of course, the line gets more blurred the closer one gets to the age of consent. In Australia, the age of consent is 16 - so a 17 year old sleeping with a 28 year old would be legal.

However, it is not legal here for a teacher to sleep with their student if that student is under 18. A 28 year old teacher sleeping with a 17 year old student could, and probably would be prosecuted.

I think this is an important law, as it recognises the position of power and influence any teacher will have over their students, and the inevitable consequence that will have on any relationship between them.

However, the facts of this case was the child was 14. Not 17. I don't think this one of the cases that blurs the line.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The boy told investigators the two had sex in a classroom at the school, located in Temple Terrace near Tampa, in her Riverview town house and once in a vehicle while his 15-year-old cousin drove them around Marion County.
!?!

Okay seriously, how stupid can you get? Did they want to be caught?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
She probably did, on some level.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only if you consider sex somehow inherantly harmful.

quote:
See, if it was 14 year old girl and 25 year old, extremely HOT male teacher, you wouldn't be using the "victim" quotes, even if the girl in question really enjoyed the sex. It wouldn't be an issue.
Of course it would. If the sex was consensual, and both are sexual developed (ie, no pedophilia involved), then nothing evil happened.

That leaves aside the question of legality, of course. This woman should be prosecuted

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Only if you consider sex somehow inherantly harmful
Or, only if you consider sex below the age of consent with a person in a position of influence and responsibility inherently harmful.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I would say that if you are a child, legally, intellectually, and in terms of experience--as a seventeen-year-old is--and you have sex with someone who is half-again as old as you are, yes, you have been in an unequal relationship, with someone who, as far as the evidence shows, has some issues relating with other adults, and must therefore sleep with children in order to be on a superior footing. I would say that such a relationship is unethical, unhealthy, and predatory. And as the younger person, the one less likely to be intelligent enough to say no, the one naive enough to think this is a good thing, you are the victim. And the "adult," who should have known better but did not care, is the victimizer.

Yes.

That answer your question? [Smile]

But if an 18-year-old has sex with a 29-year-old, it's legal.

Therefore, on the 18th birthday, a magical maturity switch is flipped.

-pH

imogen
Member # 5485

That's true for any law with an age level.

Sure it's arbitrary. But I can't think of a better way to do it, can you?

At some point a law legislating with respect to age will have to have an arbitrary line. The fact that it does is not an argument against the law, or the behaviour it is regulating.

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 15 when I was having sex with my then boyfriend, who was 24.

I was not at all a victim and I remember him fondly. I think it's entirely possible for a young girl to have sex with an older man and be okay about it.

However I do feel that it's wrong for a teacher to have sex with a student, regardless of age.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
But if an 18-year-old has sex with a 29-year-old, it's legal.

Therefore, on the 18th birthday, a magical maturity switch is flipped.

Everything I said applies to your example too; your example is simply not illegal. Any line that is drawn must necessarily be arbitrary. It is impossible to find a well-defined line in a gray area. That's true in a lot of other circumstances besides sex. JT's case in in the gray, as is yours. He wanted an answer, so I gave him one. [Smile] The difference between the two is which side of the legal line they are on. Does a switch flip in you when you turn eighteen? No. Eighteen-year-olds are generally immature, too. Is an eighteen year old with a thirty year old a healthy sexual relationship? Almost certainly not. But at some point we have to stop protecting you and trust you to make your own messes and deal with their own consequences.

I know that, as a relatively young person, you don't like what I'm saying. You believe you have all the knowledge and wisdom of the ages, and can point to many examples of stupid and immature older people to back you up (as if that somehow means anything). It's pretty much inevitable; one of the characteristics of being this age is believing you in fact are more knowledgeable and more wise that you really are.

Heck, I remember the time not too long ago when a Hatracker just under the age of eighteen took it upon herself to jeopardize my career. There was no convincing her that she was wrong, because she knew better than everyone else what was right for them, and she was incensed at any suggestion that this was not true. She took it upon herself to decide whether the threat she posed to my career was legitimate or not, and dismissed my concerns out of hand. She was so certain she knew better than anyone else, that she deceived me and the other people who shared my concern, and probably thought that she was so clever that we could not see how she was manipulating us. This is pretty typical high school mentality: the rules are arbitrary and unfair. They don't apply to mature people such as yourself. You shouldn't have to follow arbitrary rules that clearly aren't meant for you. It's okay if you connive to get around such rules.

I don't expect to convince you. [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

I realize that it's arbitrary. I just have issues with this law and the ways in which it's enforced.

I don't think it's right for teachers to have sex with their students, but I must admit, I and each of my three current roommates have all dated teachers at some point (I'm not sure if anyone had sex with one, though). Not teachers from our own schools, though, and I think everyone was above the age of consent. It does kind of unnerve me, though. Of course, it also unnerves me to learn that teachers have lives.

You guys know how I feel about sex for myself (what other people do is their own business), but a lot of the guys I dated in high school were in their twenties, and I never felt as though I were being taken advantage of by them. In fact, I felt the guys my age were much more likely to be manipulative and pushy than the older men, so I feel it's unfair to automatically assume that an older person sleeping with a younger person is a predator.

-pH

Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm sure you do feel okay about it, treason, but I wonder why your twenty-four year old boyfriend felt more comfortable dating and bedding a child barely more than half his own age than finding a date among his peers.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I felt the guys my age were much more likely to be manipulative and pushy than the older men, . . .
Or maybe they were merely more likely to be transparent about it.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
I felt the guys my age were much more likely to be manipulative and pushy than the older men, . . .
Or maybe they were merely more likely to be transparent about it.
Possible, but as I don't have sex....

I'm not saying that older guys can't be predatory. The man I was going to marry was eight years my senior and almost certainly just looking for some young, impressionable girl he could turn into his housewife, completely fixated on him. I'm just saying older does not necessarily mean predatory.

I also DEFINLTEY don't think this woman was right. Or the teacher from my high school. Or a professor I heard of here who was rumored to be sleeping with a student.

-pH

imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
I'm just saying older does not necessarily mean predatory.
Of course it doesn't.

But because it can, and because people in a position of trust and responsibility and influence can abuse that position, we as a society have to protect people. And in the case of sexual relations, that means protecting the younger person (or child).

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I'm just saying older does not necessarily mean predatory.
I don't think older means predatory.

I think that older AND looking for a substantially younger sexual partner--and lets arbitrarily define "substantially younger" as being both a teenager and close to half of his/her own age--make for very troubling signs. These in combination make me believe a relationship is unhealthy much more often than not, and that the older person is being predatory, again, much more often than not.

[ November 22, 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In fact, I felt the guys my age were much more likely to be manipulative and pushy than the older men, so I feel it's unfair to automatically assume that an older person sleeping with a younger person is a predator.

No, it's not. Not even a LITTLE unfair.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Foust, Pleasure does not preclude harm, and sex is not inherently harmful. I don't see the connection there.

Let me explain. It is not unheard of for males to become erect or ejaculate while being taken anally without consent. This is a biological result of having the prostate prodded. I doubt these people would say they were not 'harmed.' Actually, information on the subject would suggest thatthe pleasure factor is the worst the part of this sort of violation.

Not that it has anything to do with this topic, except to illustrate that "pleasure does not preclude harm" = "Sex is bad." I don't think sex is bad, but people can be harmed by it in that pleasure can bind you to someone who does not have your best interests at heart. Such as women who stay with abusive or manipulative men because the sex is good. Seen that one happen.

Icarus, I agree - There were times when I worked as a young adult at a teen summer camp, and so help me God, it would have been like shooting fish in a kitchen sink. Not that I would ever be so skanky [Wink]

JT- for the record, I did not mean to seem like I was attacking you at all. I'm sure the uproar around the woman's trial has made the boy a victim in ways the actual acts probably did not. I just hate the implication that a boy is "lucky" to be having sex before he can shave, when a girl the same age would seen as an object of pity (or at least not the object of so many "whoa! way to go!" types of comments.

Not that they might not be accurate in either case.

pH
Member # 1350

I wonder how this boy is going to treat girls his own age now. [Frown]

-pH

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.