FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Narnia" movie countdown: The day has arrived! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Narnia" movie countdown: The day has arrived!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

Last year, all I had to go on was that original "Magic of Weta" clip and about 22 years of envisioning the story in my head.

Now...less than a week to go.

I am _so_ psyched.

[ December 09, 2005, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

For those of you who get "The Disney Channel", a 30 minute "Making of" special is on tonight at 8PM EST.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
This just has to be better that the 'Hitchhiker's Guide' movie. I couldn't stand it if they made hideously disappointing movies of TWO of my favourite book series in one year.

But having said that, I even loved the BBC adaptation of Narnia, and that really wasn't all that good. So I'm staying positive! [Smile]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Bella, I liked that too.

I have high hopes!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Narnia cartoon that I enjoyed when I was a child.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

In 1979 the Children's Television Workshop (of "Sesame Street" fame) and the Bill Melendez Studio (best known for the "Charlie Brown" animated specials) made a prime time animated adaptation of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe".

It won an Emmy.

Unfortunately, the DVD release it currently out of print.

Wouldn't the new movie be the perfect time to re-release it?

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yep, yep. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be nice if they played those specials on a normal (meaning one I have) channel for once.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

It is kind of odd that 'they' aren't showing it to celebrate the film coming out, as a way to pique interest in it.
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope it stays close to the books. Any idea if they'll make more movies in the series?
Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

If the first film is a success, Walden Media has the film option rights for all of the other Chronicles.

A script for Prince Caspian has already been prepared, and the young actors who played the Pevensies are on standby, should it get greenlit.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

AAARGH.

Disney didn't indicate that the "special" would be interspersed with a broadcast of 1999's "Inspector Gadget" movie! Talk about painful.

Anyway, the stuff I saw was pretty darn cool! There were some dazzling shots of CGI Aslan in action...the version seen in the trailer released back in September looks like a Clayamation (tm) model compared to the finished product!

There was also a look at one of the brand new scenes added to the story in the film: A tense confrontation between the Pevensies and the Secret Wolf Police of Queen Jadis near a thawing river of ice.

Maugrim/Fenris Ulf's voice is perfect...and there were some great character moments with Peter and Susan.

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Eek! I bought my midnight premire ticket tonigh! I'm so excited! ^_^
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I will see it. I just hope it's better than HP4... *Still cross about that movie*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

This article includes 12 minutes of exclusive "Behind the Scenes" footage...

...including director Andrew Adamson pretending to be Mr. Beaver. [Big Grin]

smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretending to not be excited about it, so when I take my wife I can claim credit to count against that horrible "Sin City" debacle... who knew a movie with Bruce Willis could be that horrible? I too hope it's a great interpretation... I recently read the entire series again, just classic
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this countdown.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Reviews for the film have begun to pour in...

I especially liked the Ebert and Roeper audio clip.

91% positive reviews so far! That's not bad.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool...I hate my wife, though....

She is making me wait until Monday, her day off, to go see it!

Unbelieveable! I knew Narnia before I knew her, for heavens sake!!!

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Lucy Meets Mr. Tumnus

Disney's web-site is providing a special preview of the initial meeting between Lucy and Mr. Tumnus.

Beautifully filmed scene. It not only shows off the lavish special effects budget (those faun legs look seamless and real!) but the talent of the stars.

Georgie Henley _nails_ Lucy...and James McAvoy is a very intriguing Mr. Tumnus.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

By the way, remind me to _never_ read the IMDB message boards. Ever.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

New clips available on the MovieFone.com Narnia page!

Neither of which is compatible with Firefox version 1.5 [Grumble]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fans complaining that Tilda Swinton's breasts aren't big enough?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it annoy anyone else that some people are turning this movie into a religious issue? I know the Narnia series has religious themes, but COME ON! [Grumble]
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think James McAvoy nailed Mr. Tumnus.

The only thing that has me worried still is Aslan voiced by Liam Neeson. It could be great, and I hope it is, but every clip I've heard of him speaking so far has left me with doubts.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
quote:
Fans complaining that Tilda Swinton's breasts aren't big enough?
No. Suffice it to say, the IMDB posters make the AICN posters look mature and refined. And I'll leave it at that.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Georgie Henley _nails_ Lucy.
I haven't seen enough to make a judgement, but all I can think of whenever I see her is that Lucy was "gay and golden-haired". And I've NEVER seen a blond Lucy in any of the on-screen incarnations. I wonder why that is?

About the religious aspects: once I recognized them in the books I almost couldn't see the story without them ... the whole series is really one big allegory. But it is a little annoying to see Church signs up advertising next week's sermon about "Narnia".

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

I think it's fine to recognize the religious aspects of the series, but this particular story doesn't HAVE to be read that way, at least IMO. Obviously, this is why I think people are being way too sensative as far as the Christian symbolism in it goes.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
quote:
Georgie Henley _nails_ Lucy.
I haven't seen enough to make a judgement, but all I can think of whenever I see her is that Lucy was "gay and golden-haired". And I've NEVER seen a blond Lucy in any of the on-screen incarnations. I wonder why that is?

Maybe because original series illustrator Pauline Baynes drew Lucy as a brunette in every single picture featuring the character in the original books? [Wink]

Anyway, the CTW animated special featured a blond Lucy.

Adamson said that Georgie Henley wasn't given a blond wig because it was decided Lucy's hair color (really, only mentioned once or twice in the book) wasn't a major element of the character.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Narnia Podcast is now available... but only to iTunes users.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
BGurl, I agree it "doesn't have to be read that way". I read it as a child and didn't get the "allegory" until I'd read all the way to Book 6 (The Magician's Nephew, at the time). Then I realized that in that book Aslan symbolized Jesus - and then I realized that, "Duh! In all the books he has symbolized Jesus!" [Blushing] And once I realized that, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before.

I do agree the heavy advertising by churches could turn off some people who aren't religious, though; they'll think it's another "Left Behind" or something.

Puffy Treat are the original illustrations in color? Because mine are all black & white, and I never paid much attention to Lucy's hair in them.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The original illustrations are in black and white, but Baynes put characters she saw as fair-haired with "blank space" in the hair, dark-haired with solid inky black. Years later when she painted her illustrations for a new edition of the Chronicles, it was confirmed: Her "Lucy" was dark-haired. But then, Lewis gave her much freedom in interpreting how some things looked. Even if they didn't match the text.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Andrew Adamson has commentary on certain elements of the film online now! Have a listen, they're pretty cool.

The White Witch, the Battle, and Aslan...

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Over at Narnia.com "Aslan's Camp" can now be visited on the map of Narnia! [Cool]
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

I've seen it! And I'm really tired! And I'm not good at long reviews anyway! So I'll just say I LOVED it!

There were a few hiccups with the effects (I noticed it most with the centaurs and the reindeer), but nothing so major as some people have been making out. And there was one scene left out from the book that I kind of missed, but no biggie.

Overall, I would say it is a very successful adaptation and I hope the rest of the Narnia movies are treated with as much respect.

I would also like to point out that the midnight premire sold out several auditoriums, so...

Probably no worries in the box office area.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

What scene did they leave out? [Frown]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood puts out yet another "coming out of the closet" movie. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante-
[ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

Who's going to go see it today?
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it saw it saw it saw it. It was amaaazing. I loved that movie. I was kind of surprised that it was as violent as it was (pleasantly surprised that is, i was worried they'd tone down all the battles for the kiddies, of which there were plenty at my 10:30 AM showing). The effects didn't bother me a bit, I thought they were perfect for the movie.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

24 hrs and ill have seen it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
What scene did they leave out? [Frown]

The scene where the White Witch runs into that little part of woodland creatures once the winter begins to thaw out. You get to see the results of it (Peter and Co. now find those particular statues), but not the actual scene...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Did they actually show Father Christmas? That's the only reason I can think of to leave out that scene.

Anyone see what The Colbert Report said last night about LWW?

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

Yep, Father Christmas is still in it.

I would actually like to say that I liked that scene a lot more than I thought I would. I was scared they would have a jolly fat Santa Claus, but nope. I could totally buy that Father Christmas was in Narnia.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Well, a few of the scenes that didn't make the final cut (such as the Coronation Ball, more on the awakening of the Stone Courtyard, more of the members of the camp, etc) are going to be included on the Special Edition DVD due out on May 2006. Whether as "Deleted Scenes" or stitched back into the film is not yet known.

I saw it tonight.

First, let me be clear: Nothing will ever replace the book for me. That remains the definitive version. Always will.

That said, I _loved_ this movie!

More thoughts when I'm less falling-down-tired.

I was unsure at first about making the Fox (at first a member of the Christmas Party turned to stone earlier in this thread) from a bit part to a secondary character, but it turned out to be pretty effective.

And Georgie Henley is the perfect Lucy.

[ December 10, 2005, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

So he actually was a character? I couldn't decide while watching the movie if he was expanded or new...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah, he did in the book almost exactly what he did in the movie. Though, he WAS supposed to be wearing a bright red suit. But I don't blame them for leaving that out. Too much like the commonly held notion of Santa would have looked goofy.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
. Though, he WAS supposed to be wearing a bright red suit.

Close. The book describes Father Christmas as wearing a "Holly Berry Red" robe.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
So he actually was a character? I couldn't decide while watching the movie if he was expanded or new...

Assuming you mean the Fox, yes. There was a Talking Fox in the book. He was even involved in the scene where (Lewis tells us) Edmund for the first time since falling under the Witch's enchantment begins to feel sorry for someone other than himself. Only the Fox was a member of the Stone Christmas party, not a recruiter for Aslan...and he had a _lot_ less lines and never met the rest of the Pevensies.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great movie. I liked it better than HP4. Plus SHE HAD POLAR BEARS DRAGING HER CHARIOT AND THERE WERE GRIFFINS IN IT TOO! IT WAS SOOOOO COOL!
Except for some minor things that did not matter to me much.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.