FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Narnia" movie countdown: The day has arrived! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Narnia" movie countdown: The day has arrived!
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia-related question: I was talking with some folks about the Narnia movie, and someone said that C. S. Lewis had renounced Christianity (this is what they said they remembered from the Shadowlands movie). I said I was pretty sure he hadn't, that Lewis was such a prominent Christian that if he had done so I would've read about that somewhere... so, Lewis kept his faith, right?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, he did. Your friend is wrong.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Lewis was shaken and despairing by the death of Joy Gresham. He did experience doubts.

But...doubting is not the same thing as renouncing.

Ultimately, he remained commited to belief in Christ.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's review is up now!

While I don't agree that the film is better than the book, I do agree that it's good...and that the kids are a bit more fully dimensional.

(It took Lewis another book or two to get to that point...especially with the girl characters)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the movie was better than the book. It adds a lot that I think it important, but it also takes away some too, though not much, little things that I found myself missing from the movie.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw "Narnia" two days ago.

It's good.

There were things in it that bothered my cinematically snarky side: some of the cuts too clearly made things easier to shoot or were "flinches" to keep the PG from reaching PG-13, and a certain scene with a healing potion that's supposed to be able to heal any injury neglects to heal one really obvious visible wound.

But that, again, is the cynically snarky side of me. By and large, I'd tend to agree with OSC's review. The characters are well drawn, the effects are amazing, the performances are uniformly good (and Tilda Swinton is remarkable), and I think I'm going to have to buy a copy of the soundtrack.

By all means, go. I wouldn't recommend bringing children younger than, say, six. But by all means, hire a sitter and go.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually approve of the cuts and the limits on the violence. We saw the parts we needed to see to know what was happening, and if the majority of it occurred from a distance, that is as far as I am concerned good film storytelling.

The point of the tale is the magic and the family coming together. The battles are not the real story being told, they are just the device that moves the story forward.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Forrester
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Marc Forrester   Email Marc Forrester         Edit/Delete Post 
About that Allegory thing: This seems like a good time and place to ask..

Aslan's sacrifice in LW&W always made perfectly good sense to me, it saves Edmund from the bad guys in a very direct and necessary manner. Jesus' sacrifice in the Bible, not so easy. This one, apparently, saves humanity from themselves, for reasons and by means that are not clear at all. Aside from Narnia, all other works of fiction that deal with this event seem to focus exclusively on how nasty the sacrifice was, and just take it as given that you already know what it was for.

So I could really use an explicitly illustrated link between the story of Narnia, which I can actually understand, and the New Testament. Anyone here have a link to an essay along those lines, a book title, or suchlike?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice much about the child acting, as I was distracted by the huge teeth.

Aslan was great. I love Liam Neeson's voice. I would have liked Aslan to be... more, though. More magical, or something. It was competent, and I misted up a few times. Better than the book? Probably. I'm sure my imagination supplied a lot when I read it as a young'un.

But I still pretty much agreed with the B rating EW gave it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Marc – as a direct allegory, Aslan’s sacrifice refers to one particular theory of Christ’s death – the Ransom theory, where the blood of traitors belonged to Satan and was “paid” by Jesus instead. It was the most common interpretation for many years, but not followed so much anymore.

Decent brief explanation of the theory and the reasons it fell out of favor here. (Disclaimer – I’m not familiar with the site, I just did a quick google and this one seemed to combine the virtues of reasonable accuracy with reasonable simplicity.)

The various atonement theories are themselves allegories – attempts to explain the significance of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus using metaphors that people are familiar with – at various times in history ransom, feudal honor, and law courts have been the dominant metaphor.

So the Aslan/Stone table thing is an allegory of an allegory, and it works better if you don’t stretch it too far or try to force fit everything into one-to-one connections.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't notice much about the child acting, as I was distracted by the huge teeth.
Me too! My friend and I had roughly 14 one-liners about British dental care.

I thought it was amazing, though.

The battle scenes bugged me a little bit, though, just from a tactical standpoint. But that's typical, and it didn't make me enjoy it any less.

I didn't care for the performance of Lucy, but I loved Liam Neeson as Aslan. Although I kept calling him Qui Gonn.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
as a direct allegory, Aslan’s sacrifice refers to one particular theory of Christ’s death – the Ransom theory, where the blood of traitors belonged to Satan and was “paid” by Jesus instead. It was the most common interpretation for many years, but not followed so much anymore.

I think this the reason I loved the Narnia books but did not recognize them as Christian allegory until I was in college. The theory of the atonement that I knew was not the one referred to in the books, so when the Deep Magic demanded Edmund's blood, I thought it was plot device, and I was annoyed with Edmund. That whole section didn't really make sense to me, but it's a fantasy novel - they have their own rules.

I also think that the way I thought of God was different from Aslan's character - I was much more aquainted with the Loving Father aspect, so "Not a Tame Lion" didn't ring any bells.

I post this to justify why I didn't recognize the allegory. I watched it with Matt on Friday, and the conversation went like this:

Katie: "I didn't know this was the Christ story when I read it."
<Tumnus calls Lucy a Daughter of Eve>
Matt: "Really?"
Katie: "Yeah, it was a great fantasy, but nothing I recognized."
<Aslan is killed for the sake of Edmund>
Katie: "There were talking animals! I didn't know it was referring to something real."
<Tumnus promises that Aslan will always love Lucy and will come back again someday>

[ December 12, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Slate has a good article on the christian aspects of the Narnia books.

I tried to summarize it here for about 5 minutes, but I don't have the skill to do it without confusing anyone or misquoting her.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ser Bronn Stone:
I actually approve of the cuts and the limits on the violence. We saw the parts we needed to see to know what was happening, and if the majority of it occurred from a distance, that is as far as I am concerned good film storytelling.

The point of the tale is the magic and the family coming together. The battles are not the real story being told, they are just the device that moves the story forward.

Please understand, I'm glad it's PG, and I'm not suggesting that it should be a bloodbath. But my awareness of the reasons for those cuts distracts me from my suspension of disbelief.

And, while I wouldn't include the (fantasy!) Narnia in such considerations, I can't help but wonder sometimes if presenting violence as neat and clean is really that helpful for children. Certainly a lot of movies go way over the top, but in a way a (PG) movie that allows dozens of people to be gunned down bloodlessly doesn't to my mind deserve consideration over a (R) movie that has one person get shot and suffer.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
That last post just reminded me. When the witch kills Fox by turning him into stone, a little 7 year old (or so) girl the row in front of us started crying quite a bit--the scared kind of crying. She obviously hasn't been desensitized enough.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I child in my audience, when Susan and Lucy were stroking the dead Aslan, asked, "Is he going to wake up?"
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There were several children in my audience crying and screaming at things they saw in the movie.

Making it G rated would have just been silly. As it was, I think they should have made it PG-13, and included a little bit of blood. I don't mean gore, it's not a horror movie, but I too felt some of my suspension of disbelief washing away a bit.

I found myself indifferent about Aslan's voice. I was expecting to hate it, and while I didn't REALLY hate it, I didn't really like it either. If only James Earl Jones hadn't been Mufasa.

With the exception if certain parts of the battle scenes, I found myself somewhat underwhelmed by the movie. The PotC trailer almost had me more excited at times.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Forrester
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Marc Forrester   Email Marc Forrester         Edit/Delete Post 
DKW - Many thanks. Clearly lots of further reading to do, but at least I now know which allegory it's an allegory of. [Smile] Knowledge of the phrase "Atonement Theory", in particular, is exactly the kind of thing I needed, that's a key that opens up a whole new library.

Off to dig up the paperbacks again - I found out today that there's someone on the planet who's never even seen them. This shall not be permitted..

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.